73 (edited by Hombre 2010-03-17 19:35:15)

Re: Joe On The George Lopez Show - Tuesday March 16

I couldn't agree with you more. This has a very good chance of snowballing very quickly. smile

RICjunkie wrote:

I caught the replay at 11 PM pacific time. You needed to be in the studio audience but if Joe only made 50 new fans in that theatre and they go out and introduce Joe's music to their friends...

FWIW, the little bit of airplay that Joe did get was classic Joe - All CLASS!

I cannot wait for this evening's performance!

Say it loud, it's blues and I'm proud.
It's Hollywood, stars in the crowd.

Say it loud, MuchJOE! and I'm proud.
It's TV time, no grumping allowed.

MuchGlitter
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Bill S wrote:
pcornell wrote:

-- to be disappointed or embarassed (as someone posted above) is nothing but a selfish response.

It was great exposure for Joe. Joe looked and sounded great. George said "Joe Bonamassa" many times and he did play. If Joe had attempted to buy a 30 sec national advertisement for himself and Black Rock during Lopez Tonight it would have been cost prohibitive (tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars). It also wouldnt' have featured the star of the show saying "Joe Bonamassa" and things like "the world's top blues/rock player." This is a huge win for Joe -- one in a long line of thousands of wins for Joe.

Would we all have liked to see Joe be able to play a song off the new CD? And have the whole band back him? And also sit with George after and tell the story? Of course we would, but if you feel disapppointed or embarassed its because you fell victim to your own expectations.

I fell victim to my expectations as well -- I expected Joe's fans to be excited and happy about the appearance -- nothing less.

In reality this kind of exposure is not for the people that come to this site and post on these forums hundreds of times -- its for the people that have never heard Joe or seen Joe.

I spend a lot of time in my car everyday. As I drive around I sometimes listen to a national sports radio show. It's on for 4 hours and it repeats many of the topics, recorded bites, interviews, etc about every 40 mins on some days. Not long ago a mad listener called in to complain about the repeating content. The host of the show very candidly pointed out that he does the show for the 90% of listeners that listen for 20 mins or less at a time. The power user that listens to the whole thing represents only a small percentage of his total audience. The show is for the remainder of the universe -- the power user is already listening as much as they can. This analogy applies here. The "power users" already know and appreciate Joe and his music -- most of you posting here are in that category. New markets and fans are reached with stuff like this.

Personally, I'd like to congratulate JB on his appearance. I'd also like to thank the staff at J&R Adventures as well as Joe's PR people for getting Joe the opportunity to be on Lopez Tonite. Great job -- keep it up!

For those wondering if Joe had fun -- here is his most recent twitter post:

@JBONAMASSA: Long day again.. Had a blast with George L. super cool guy and his staff was the same. free bottle of tequila to boot.. eish.. hello 2006.

Well said Phil. I am very happy for Joe and the exposure this brought him. I'm not sure that the disappointment expressed by some fans was entirely selfish. Personally, I wished the television audience could have experienced a full song by Joe, so they could see what we already know: Joe's a one of a kind artist with world class talent.
Kudos for this event just the same! Great exposure and no downside at all.
Congrats Joe!

It was dissapointing for those of us that expected a full band performance. If I had ever watched the show before I might of not expected that. I am sure I wasn't the only one that expected more. I got the heads up about 2 hours that it would be Joe sitting in. At that point I figured that getting that 30 seconds of Three Times a Fool was great. The Black Rock plug at the end was great too. I still would of liked to of seen the band do a song. Sorry I had High expectations. Seeing his name in the guide was cool.

I do agree that any exposure is good. I'll take what we can get. Just another piece of the puzzle being assembled that will become Joe's career resume. He looked great. Sounded great and I'm sure he made some fans. The George Lopez show however did not gain a fan and not because he didn't have Joe play a song. If I had turned that show on accidently it wouldn't have gotten more than 30seconds of my time.

I hope it was a stepping stone to bigger and better shows.

The show itself, to me, has been hit and miss. Some nights Lopez seems funnier than others. Some nights the guests are great and its a lot of fun.

I suspect that one reason it seems that way to me is because of the "hip" factor or all the "in" SoCal things that Rocket was describing. I'm not really in touch with any of that stuff  tongue

I'm not running down anyone's opinion of the deal.... like I said I fell victim to my own expectations by expecting the hard core fans here in the forum would feel emotions other than disappointed and/or embarassed. My bad.

Sometimes I think we (collectively) forget that Joe has been killing himself at this for 20+ years; his staff and supporters have untold amounts of money invested and have also worked themselves to death to make this success happen. If I was them I think I'd like to hear "that was cool" sometimes instead of "that was cool, but......."

Over the past years there have been phone call, letter writing, attempted string pulling, and personal networking used to try and get Joe on one of the late night programs. As far as we know not even a sniff before now. If those efforts would have ever resulted in the appearance that Joe was granted last night we would have felt it was a big win.

In the bigger picture of things I often get frustrated with the culture of negativity that we are immersed in today. Everyone is a critic but nobody has any solutions. If you don't think so -- just turn on CNN, Fox or CSPAN for 5 minutes. It's just much easier to say "this sucks, you suck, I hate that, your idea is no good, that'll never work, or whatever" than it is to be positive and constructive. Someone once said "They make statues of stars, but nobody ever requested a statue of a critic."

You guys are correct -- everyone is entitled to their opinion and their own feelings on this and any other topic. Even if those opinions are described as pompous or selfish.

Rocket did have a great idea -- we ALL need to visit the Lopez Tonight web site and register for the CD. It's not the CD that matters its the amount of traffic and clicks on the registration that will let them know Joe is great on their show.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

I for one thought it was really cool to see Joe on TV and I wish I was there in person.

Q. How do you keep fuzzy from channel surfing?
A. Put Joe Bonamassa on a TV show.  smile

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

78 (edited by BluesMan 2010-03-17 23:01:09)

Well, unfortunately I missed it last night as I nodded off before the show started and I don't have a DVR. Heck, I hardly have enough time to watch current TV much less recorded shows. However, any exposure for Joe on a national scale is great exposure for him. Unless of course, he pulls a "Tiger Woods", that would be bad. But Joe is far too smart and too wise to do something like that. From what everyone has said, it's too bad he wasn't on longer, but if he left the kind of impression during the commercial breaks with the studio audience as he does with us, they all walked out of there with someone new to talk about and a piece (Black Rock) of history.  cool

Roy

P.S. I just registered for a "free" piece of history myself.  wink Thanks for the link Jane.

Joe is the Best!

"Rocket did have a great idea -- we ALL need to visit the Lopez Tonight web site and register for the CD. It's not the CD that matters its the amount of traffic and clicks on the registration that will let them know Joe is great on their show."

YES, now we're talkin!!!!

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

From this side of The Atlantic, just hearing Joe was on any TV show has gotta be a plus in any sentence  cool
JB seemed to have enjoyed by all accounts and that all that counts, that sneak peek will leave the viewers wanting to hear more i'm sure, as Jdawg said, surely Anton will/has drop a hint to Paul Schaeffer/ David Letterman as he was there in Santorini (Black Rock) and we'll get to see a full song or 2, patience peeps

.................... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

81 (edited by vortex1 2010-03-18 15:25:24)

Here is the you tube link to Joe on the Lopez Tonight Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKw9DsXGvA

82 (edited by BluesMan 2010-03-19 16:11:26)

vortex1 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFJHvkXIRk

From one Roy to another, thanks for posting that up Roy! cool  I see now what everyone was talking about. Even though it was short, Joe sure sounded and looked good. I would think the people who were tuned in on TV and present in the studio, will definitely remember his name and that is what is important. After all, that's how we all discovered Joe.  smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

vortex1 wrote:

Great job on the youtube clip!!!  Thanks for sharing and posting the link...

Music is good for the Soul...

84 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2010-03-18 16:46:49)

vortex1 wrote:

Great Job on the clip. The only thing missing is the Black Rock cd at the end of the show.

Thanks for the Joe post vortex1!!  Really enjoyed watching again.  I noticed in one spot George  & crowd rockin' out   smile

pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Just got a call from my Mom (80 years young) and Joe she said to tell you:

"Hi Joe,  I stayed up to watch you on Lopez Tonight.  I thought you looked very handsome and played very well.  I wish they would have showed more of you, I was looking forward to hearing you again."
                                                                   ( Patty's Mom)

pattyluvsjoe  wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Any media exposure is a plus, as Madonna once said, "Even bad press is good press." After Joe is documented in the next Crossroads DVD I believe Shreds prediction as this being the breakout year will come true.

Think Big,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

I've often thought, over the years, that the key to not getting too wierd was to have reasonable expectations.
Obviously to us, Joe is our very own superstar.  We claim him... as we promote him.

Look at this world as a whole.  Obviously some don't have their priorities straight.  That Hollywood TV crowd is so incestuous, there's a good chance I could get on a show out there just being grumpy.  mad

Joe who?  BTW Phil, you're pompous.  lol

MuchJOE!
FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

89 (edited by vortex1 2010-03-19 05:00:53)

Rik Emmett Fan wrote:
vortex1 wrote:

Great Job on the clip. The only thing missing is the Black Rock cd at the end of the show.

I uploaded a new verson of the video with the Black Rock cd added at the end. I'm sorry i forgot this part
in my first upload this morning. I'm sorry for the mistake and thanks for reminding me.
Roy

new link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFJHvkXIRk

Joe is "the pompetous of love" tongue  tongue

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do