Re: Joe On The George Lopez Show - Tuesday March 16

Voodoo Blues wrote:

Does anyone know what amp Joe was playing through? It showed him standing in front of a Marshall, but since I'm not a Marshall man I can't identify it.

It looked like a Bluesbreaker amp (JTM45 combo).

See?? It even got the gearheads up on the front page. Hi Guys!  big_smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

-- to be disappointed or embarassed (as someone posted above) is nothing but a selfish response.

It was great exposure for Joe. Joe looked and sounded great. George said "Joe Bonamassa" many times and he did play. If Joe had attempted to buy a 30 sec national advertisement for himself and Black Rock during Lopez Tonight it would have been cost prohibitive (tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars). It also wouldnt' have featured the star of the show saying "Joe Bonamassa" and things like "the world's top blues/rock player." This is a huge win for Joe -- one in a long line of thousands of wins for Joe.

Would we all have liked to see Joe be able to play a song off the new CD? And have the whole band back him? And also sit with George after and tell the story? Of course we would, but if you feel disapppointed or embarassed its because you fell victim to your own expectations.

I fell victim to my expectations as well -- I expected Joe's fans to be excited and happy about the appearance -- nothing less.

In reality this kind of exposure is not for the people that come to this site and post on these forums hundreds of times -- its for the people that have never heard Joe or seen Joe.

I spend a lot of time in my car everyday. As I drive around I sometimes listen to a national sports radio show. It's on for 4 hours and it repeats many of the topics, recorded bites, interviews, etc about every 40 mins on some days. Not long ago a mad listener called in to complain about the repeating content. The host of the show very candidly pointed out that he does the show for the 90% of listeners that listen for 20 mins or less at a time. The power user that listens to the whole thing represents only a small percentage of his total audience. The show is for the remainder of the universe -- the power user is already listening as much as they can. This analogy applies here. The "power users" already know and appreciate Joe and his music -- most of you posting here are in that category. New markets and fans are reached with stuff like this.

Personally, I'd like to congratulate JB on his appearance. I'd also like to thank the staff at J&R Adventures as well as Joe's PR people for getting Joe the opportunity to be on Lopez Tonite. Great job -- keep it up!

For those wondering if Joe had fun -- here is his most recent twitter post:

@JBONAMASSA: Long day again.. Had a blast with George L. super cool guy and his staff was the same. free bottle of tequila to boot.. eish.. hello 2006.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

We got hella same excited when Joe went on that VH-1 Supergroup show and got a little more time with Ted Nugent (not much more, but thanks David A.- I think I'll pull out the short video you copied and sent me of that later today)...speakin'of Soup Le Groupe Formidable....

Black Rock Black Out then Black On-Just say no to Green unless legal tender & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

ok my last word.......i dont think it is a selfish thing to say if you were disappointed or not over the Lopez show..If people were disappointed, then they were its the way it is for some...People UNDERSTAND that it was good exposure regardless...however we know how much better exposure it would have been had he been able to play a song like most musical guests get to do on those types of shows. i think that is what led to some people being disappointed...and yes Joe looked and sounded great........what we got to see of him..........and hopefully this leads to bigger and better things....

Sounds like Joe had a good time and im happy about that!

Thank you PC and others for setting the record straight. Very glad I was not the first one to post, was boiling mad after it all, and it was selfish. I see the bigger picture now, and am happy that Joe enjoyed it. I felt like maybe they did have a plan for him to play one song for the national audience, and just ran out of time. I have seen it happen before on other shows. The only point is that TBS listed him on their website yesterday, one of only 3 names listed for the show, and that led me to believe that he would get to play one song for a huge national audience. Now that was not just me being selfish, but wanting a greater exposure for Joe. I called or emailed 5 or 6 people yesterday to tell them, so yeah there may be some embarrassment there. It went well, Joe liked it, that's all that matters.

pcornell wrote:

-- to be disappointed or embarassed (as someone posted above) is nothing but a selfish response.

It was great exposure for Joe. Joe looked and sounded great. George said "Joe Bonamassa" many times and he did play. If Joe had attempted to buy a 30 sec national advertisement for himself and Black Rock during Lopez Tonight it would have been cost prohibitive (tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars). It also wouldnt' have featured the star of the show saying "Joe Bonamassa" and things like "the world's top blues/rock player." This is a huge win for Joe -- one in a long line of thousands of wins for Joe.

Would we all have liked to see Joe be able to play a song off the new CD? And have the whole band back him? And also sit with George after and tell the story? Of course we would, but if you feel disapppointed or embarassed its because you fell victim to your own expectations.

In reality this kind of exposure is not for the people that come to this site and post on these forums hundreds of times -- its for the people that have never heard Joe or seen Joe.

Personally, I'd like to congratulate JB on his appearance. I'd also like to thank the staff at J&R Adventures as well as Joe's PR people for getting Joe the opportunity to be on Lopez Tonite. Great job -- keep it up!

@JBONAMASSA: Long day again.. Had a blast with George L. super cool guy and his staff was the same. free bottle of tequila to boot.. eish.. hello 2006.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

pcornell wrote:

I fell victim to my expectations as well -- I expected Joe's fans to be excited and happy about the appearance -- nothing less.

I spend a lot of time in my car everyday. As I drive around I sometimes listen to a national sports radio show. It's on for 4 hours and it repeats many of the topics, recorded bites, interviews, etc about every 40 mins on some days. Not long ago a mad listener called in to complain about the repeating content. The host of the show very candidly pointed out that he does the show for the 90% of listeners that listen for 20 mins or less at a time. The power user that listens to the whole thing represents only a small percentage of his total audience. The show is for the remainder of the universe -- the power user is already listening as much as they can. This analogy applies here. The "power users" already know and appreciate Joe and his music -- most of you posting here are in that category. New markets and fans are reached with stuff like this.

Well said Phil. I am very happy for Joe and the exposure this brought him. I'm not sure that the disappointment expressed by some fans was entirely selfish. Personally, I wished the television audience could have experienced a full song by Joe, so they could see what we already know: Joe's a one of a kind artist with world class talent.
Kudos for this event just the same! Great exposure and no downside at all.
Congrats Joe!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

ahsmith33 wrote:

Thank you PC and others for setting the record straight. Very glad I was not the first one to post, was boiling mad after it all, and it was selfish. I see the bigger picture now, and am happy that Joe enjoyed it. I felt like maybe they did have a plan for him to play one song for the national audience, and just ran out of time. I have seen it happen before on other shows. The only point is that TBS listed him on their website yesterday, one of only 3 names listed for the show, and that led me to believe that he would get to play one song for a huge national audience. Now that was not just me being selfish, but wanting a greater exposure for Joe. I called or emailed 5 or 6 people yesterday to tell them, so yeah there may be some embarrassment there. It went well, Joe liked it, that's all that matters.

pcornell wrote:

I'm glad you brought that up -- I emailed a few hundred people over the last couple of days; I posted that the street team should blast it and all street teamers should forward to ALL their contacts. I did. I also alerted any media outlet in Houston that I could get contact information for.

I would never be embarassed about doing it. No matter what I thought of the appearance I'm not going to super-impose my feelings onto the people that I emailed. I'm going to let them watch the show and form their own opinions. The reason I emailed them was to give people that I know, that may not have seen or heard Joe (other than what I've told them), a chance to tune in and see. Who knows -- they may have seen the show and thought it was the best thing ever -- I'm letting them form their own opinions. I'm definitely not embarassed for pointing them to a show that Joe was on.

..... I seriously doubt I set any record straight. I learned a long time ago you can't convince anybody of anything. They think what they think.

Wouldn't you like to be the staff at J&R this morning......come to work with an extra bounce in your step because of the show.......then log on and see a bunch of "Negative Nelly's" burning up the forum. That'll inspire you.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

pcornell wrote:

How utterly pompous sad

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Great insight and common sense Phil.  100% with you.  Those who didn't get word from me already are still going to get it, casual like today as they want to celebrate.  Easy conversation entry. They want to ask anything, I'll answer it.

It's a talk show.  I watched it all.  Everyone he brought on is in some sort of warm or hot project spot / spotlight right now and / or keeping the popularity flame flickering.  This is what's out there and on other people's interest charts also.  Not a dog and pony show, just a show for entertainment. For a certain attainment, one has to enter and this is an entry.  Into entertainment.  Other entertainment.  For others.  Some hooks will set.

Why not go onto Lopez website and enter the Free CD contest? You may have it already or coming on order, but It shows HITS.  If you comment, be positive! Ask for George to have him back and perhaps? play one short song and a short talk spot, say how much you'd like that. Joe already said he'd go back in a heartbeat. Put a little heart beat into this!  We've had many efforts over the years, why stop now? Let's try to kindly ask to get him back on.  Do it for someone else, who you are trying to reach, so use the muse of someone else, George (and Lopez Tonight), to get out the news!

http://www.lopeztonight.com/
(the show site)

Want to just check out this guy?
http://www.georgelopez.com/

Please remember what I always say:
Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

I got to get my rest...

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I guess the only thing I would ask Joe would be if Kat Von D was that hot in person.  wink

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

My feelings on last night:

1. Disappointed I didn't get to see more of Joe.

2. Very happy Joe got on national TV.

3.  Very happy the audience rocked out and got a copy of Black Rock.

4.  Very Very happy Joe had a good time!

Onward and Upward!!!

Hi David,
THANK YOU so much for relaying that, I don't check in on those social network places too much.

I have to say...I KNEW IT, I COULD FEEL IT!  The way the camera shot upwards towards Joe, he looked so damn cool; handsome, confident and like a total badass on his gold LesPaul!  Most importantly, I thought he looked really HAPPY.   

I'm not passing judgment on others initial feelings, that all comes with the emotions of being a Joe fan. 

To steal an Allman Brothers line...Sometimes I Feel...almost like a motherly instinct towards Joe, since I have 20 years on him.  (envision those cute National Gegraphic photos of  Mom polar bears with their cubs) Since I started following Joe in 2004, he has matured so much and grown into an outstanding musician who is finally being recognized for his talent.  When I watched him last night, I was running on my treadmill.  I felt so proud to be a Joe Bonamassa fan!!  Honestly, I was so excited, I increased the speed and almost feel off and twisted my ankle.  And to wrap this up, Joe did it his way.  To steal a line from Frank Sinatra...I Did It My Way. 

And finally, I hope Joe doesn't feel like he is Tied to the Whipping Post, because some of his fans were disappointed.  And to Joe...understand fans response was a knee jerk reaction, an initial kind of feeling. 

WE love you and want the best for you.   smile

David A. wrote:
Angela wrote:

Joe, I have one question for ya'...Was that fun or what?  Nice change in routine.     smile

Hi Angela, this is what Joe said on Facebook:

"I just want to say... I know there is a lot of feedback about the George Lopez show tonight. I had a blast and everybody including George himself was extremely nice to me. Airtime aside I found it to be a really great experience and would do it again in a heartbeat."

Seems that he had a great time...

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

My sister had never heard or seen Joe at all, until last night. I received an email from her just now and she said she did like it, "excellent blues guitarist, I plan to buy his new CD".  She also wanted to know about Joe on facebook. Another convert in the making I hope. It begs the question, how many more were converted last night with or without the free CD? What, someone said there is no such thing as bad publicity. So, it was positive all the way around. I apologize if my feelings render me "selfish" and "pompous", that's not going to change anytime soon. As a chemically challenged person I have been selfish and self-centered since the day I was born.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

69 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2010-03-17 17:58:04)

What little exposure Joe received being on Lopez Tonight is a start. But I tuned in to see Joe perform, granted Joe did perform on the show but the viewers at home being left out was a huge disappointment for Joe Bonamassa fans who tuned in and wrong considering Nikki Sixx get almost as much airtime as Joe just by sitting in the audience. I do hope that Joe will be invited back in the future to perform a song or two for the viewers at home as well as the audience. Until then, I won’t watch or promote Lopez.

To ad to Rockets list of contact; TBS Viewer Comment and Question Line is 404-885-0758.

Rik Emmett Fan wrote:

What little exposure Joe received being on Lopez Tonight is a start. But I tuned in to see Joe perform, granted Joe did perform on the show but the viewers at home being left out was a huge disappointment for Joe Bonamassa fans who tuned in and wrong considering Nikki Sixx get almost as much airtime as Joe just by sitting in the audience. I do hope that Joe will be invited back in the future to perform a song or two for the viewers at home as well as the audience. Until then, I won’t watch or promote Lopez.

Bang on sir!!!!

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

I looked around Lopez Tonite's "community" page last night while watching the show.  There is a section on "What musician you would like to see on the show."  Needless to say there is a huge spectrum of opinion (music being so personal and all), and I couldn't go thru all 50+ pages.  That said, I find it amazing that Joe was asked to be on the show.  People who watch this show obviously like  music (I think this was the most popular topic on their forum), and to get all this exposure, limited as it was, IS priceless.  I was personally disappointed, and yes that is selfish (if I see anything less that a full Joe show I get disappointed  wink , but hey, I'm human and I can see the big picture, too.)  I said on my earlier post that it will be interesting to see if anyone who was in the audience, either live or on tv, shows up here.  It was a wonderful opportunity, I'm glad Joe had fun, and can't wait to see where he shows up next.

On another note - it was so strange to see "Joe Bonamassa" on a regular tv show.  Nice, but kind of unreal, if you know what I mean.  I'll show my age here, but remember when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, and what happened next?  I kept thinking about that last night when I was watching this.

Congrats to all, and forgive us our selfishness - we are such a greedy bunch when it comes to seeing our everyday hero.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

I caught the replay at 11 PM pacific time. You needed to be in the studio audience but if Joe only made 50 new fans in that theatre and they go out and introduce Joe's music to their friends...

FWIW, the little bit of airplay that Joe did get was classic Joe - All CLASS!

I cannot wait for this evening's performance!

Major Tom to ground control...