Topic: Help! How to use a 1CH tube amp....

Hey folks, I really need some advise from the amp experts here.
Some years ago my set up consisted of a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Tube Screamer 808. The amp setting was pretty clean, the drive came from the pedal. That was okay at that time when I played only Stevie Ray stuff, but now I am looking for more....(I sold the amp and did unfortunately not experiment with it any further!)

How do you use your 1ch tube amp? I tried out the Marshall 1987x and the THD Univalve which are both excellent amps - Problem - both sound great clean and also cranked up!

Which way would you go? Set the amp clean and do the rest with pedals (the tc electronics double distortion would be a choice...)? Set the amp cranked up and work with the guitars volume knob? Please do not suggest to buy two amps, nor to buy a 2ch amp.

For your info, I play Strats and Les Pauls, the sound I am looking for is something like Joe Bonamassa/Jimi/.

Thanks for taking your time.....damn it's so long that I owend a tube amp. I now play a Line6 Flextone III, which is versatile but is copmpletely missing the warmth....just some days ago I met a guy with one channel tube amp and the sound was just blowing me away...

Regards
Jimi75

Re: Help! How to use a 1CH tube amp....

If I had to choose- I'd definetly go with turning the amp all the way up (no distortion pedal can match the pure warmth and power that comes from that) and just adjust the gain by the volume pot on the guitar, although this might not work so well with Les Pauls- I've found that the volume pot isn't as sensitive as strats...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I agree.  It's an old-school method that works well.  Turn the amp up to a modest amount of overdrive and use your guitar's volume to clean up the tone when you need to.  If you need to push more overdrive from the amp, use the TS808.  A lot of people choose to use pedals to hit the amp's preamp harder (using it as a boost rather than using it for its overdrive capability).  Whatever works for you, set it up and just play.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

4 (edited by gsj 2006-12-18 17:56:13)

All so true guys. 30 to 50 watts of tube power will be more than enough. If you use a 100w you'll never be able to crank it. Working from the guitars volume pot alone can provide some really satisfying results but you may need a little boost for solos.....if you're on a tight budget try a Boss G7 Graphic in the loop and it won't alter your tone too much (assuming you have a loop) or in the front end to drive the preamp tubes just a bit more when it's your turn in the spotlight.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

5 (edited by Strat64 2006-12-19 13:31:29)

Look for a great clean sound, then pile on the pedal for the dirt (especially if you can find a good class A amp - I use a TopHat Club Deluxe).  If you can get the amp right on the verge of breakup, and then hit it with overdrive or distortion, you should be good to go.

Chris

smile It's almost better than sex!!! Well, actually it's not but you know what I mean smile smile

Strat64 wrote:

Look for a great clean sound, then pile on the pedal for the dirt (especially if you can find a good class A amp - I use a TopHat Club Deluxe).  If you can get the amp right on the verge of breakup, and then hit it with overdrive or distortion, you should be good to go.

Chris

I play a Les Paul through a Univalve (my 'main' guitar and amp).
One of the things I love about this combination is that I use my guitar volume knob to control my clean-to-gain range of tone.  This may be tough in a live gig situation - the Univalve lacks clean headroom - but it works great at home!   One thing I did was have .01 caps (treble bleed mod) added to the volume pots to help keep the tone from going to mush as I lower the volume...works great for me.
Depending on my mood I set the Univalve on the 'Roll' channel
with a Maxon OD808 (Tube Screamer) for overdrive (this works great with my Stratocaster) or I use the 'Rock' channel and the attenuator
(to keep the volume reasonable) for the harder drive stuff.  I love the Univalve with lower gain preamp tubes (12at7, 12au7) and a KT-66
power tube.  This combination lets through more power tube tone and lets the guitars volume knob handle my clean -to - distortion tones nicely.  The KT-66 has a much sweeter clean tone than the EL-34's but still lets me get a Marshall-Like tone when cranked.  Keep in touch JIMI75, I would enjoy keeping notes regarding your Univalve experiences.

Russ B.

I play strats, teles and Les Pauls through a Marshall JTM-45. I push the anp into slight overdrive ( you may need a weber mass, or a THD Hotp[late to control volume) then use a Overdrive to kick it into higher gain. I then just use the guitar voulume to clean it up..
This is classic "old school" method used by most performers in the late '60's and early '70's (Think Clapton, Beck, Page , etc)
If you playing a Les Paul, get rid of the stock pots, and get some good CTS 500K pots from RS guitar works, alomg iwth some new caps

9 (edited by zosozep7 2007-01-18 22:28:52)

I have a Fender Twin. Naturally the twin is all clean. I use my Maxon OD9 but I recently hooked my Fulltone OCD pedal and man did it scream. I was using my PRS Singlecut and I thought this was a great combo. The OCD pedal can be a little harsh but if you turn the drive way down it sounds like my OD9. One thing I found out with my Fulltone Clyde wah is it does not mix well with my Twin. I have to use my dunlop wah for the twin. The Clyde is too ear piercing for me. It really does not sound good for some reason.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Yeah... I have a fender Twin right now- I can't stand it- it has a great clean sound, don't get me wrong, but it seems like whatever overdrive pedal and gutitar I use and try to get some overdrive, it sounds terrible... I'm looking into buying a Peavey Windsor head- its cheap (only $400!) and it sounds amazing- so that should be interesting....

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

11 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-01-19 12:21:01)

kwsjb1238 wrote:

If I had to choose- I'd definetly go with turning the amp all the way up (no distortion pedal can match the pure warmth and power that comes from that) and just adjust the gain by the volume pot on the guitar, although this might not work so well with Les Pauls- I've found that the volume pot isn't as sensitive as strats...

Ive done it on les pauls. I usually have teh rythm pickup for the clean and the lead pickup for distortion.
you could always have two amps, like run a twin clean, and the marshall dirty..control with an A/B switch. My two channel Rivera amp has that sound. why do you prefer a 1ch amp?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

the Best result I found was using the amp for overdrive and backing off the volume on the guitar for clean.. But your amp will need plenty of power or clean  headroom to do this.. Joe Bonamassa

True Joe, it's great to ride the volume on the guitar to get the best from your amp...seems kind of a more 'organic' way to get the best clean and overdriven sounds..better than channel changing or using stomp-boxes.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

the Best result I found was using the amp for overdrive and backing off the volume on the guitar for clean.. But your amp will need plenty of power or clean  headroom to do this.. Joe Bonamassa

I figured out that pedals are changing my sound to much. I know some people love their pedals but I like it way better to crank up the amp and get a natural distortion. Finding an amp that has enough clean headroom is difficult in my eyes.

I have checked a Marshall 1974X. It works fine to set the amp just as much distorted as you need and then turn back the volume on the guitar to get a clean sound.

The guy in the shop told me it would be better to change the impendance of the potis from 250k to 500k because then you do not lose treble and the sound does not get muddy when turning back the volume.

I tried the amp with a modded Vintage Strat and it sounded great as well as with a Les Paul.

I really want to work with the given tools, except of a TS808 to boost the solos despite of using it to distort the clean channel.

I will post some clips soon. My dealer put the amp aside for me and within the next two weeks I am going to pick it up.

Can't wait to plug my Les Paul and play some Gary Moore :-)

check out Torres engineering.

they have 1 meg pots for strats
and 2 meg pots for humbuckers

I put a 2 meg in my Dean ML and it was H  O   T !
I cannot explain how but it was an improvement all around (maybe placebo) but I thought it was a value.

Torres has all kinds of strat kits as well.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Yep, a treble bleed cap will help solve the problem....go see a good guitar tech if you're unsure .

kinmans website is really informational!

does anybody use Blitz Cloth to wipe down their strings?
What is that and where do I get it?

18 (edited by gsj 2007-01-28 10:19:01)

Errrr no...lemon oil is for cleaning and oiling rosewood and ebony fingerboards, not for cleaning strings. Use a designated string cleaner if you must...there are string cleaners available, De'Andrea for one ...but better still, wipe them with a lint-free cloth...not a sock wink. Wash and cut up an old t-shirt...(dusters will leave yellow fluff everywhere) and wipe the strings after playing BUT change them regularly. Better than lemon oil for fingerboards is Dunlop 02...it doesn't have the same tacky residue that lemon oil can sometimes have. Finger Ease is ok for cleaning strings as is Fast Fret too but not lemon oil. Sorry Wood smile Oh, there is a thing called a Swipe but I've never tried it.