Topic: Sonny Landreth

Any Sonny fans out there?

Re: Sonny Landreth

Jane,
   Love Sonny have seen him a number of times, do you know Judy she is member of Sonny's Krewe ?

3 (edited by gsj 2006-12-08 17:28:30)

Awesome slide player.....sends a shiver down my spine sometimes and that don't happen too much nowadays..........unless my wife goes out shopping with my credit cards, then I get the cold sweats too smile A certain Mr Trucks can make my jaw drop to the floor too. So much emotion from so few notes!!!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Love Sonny Landreth, didn't quite "get" him at first but Grant Street is sorta growing on me.  The kinda zydeco groove is very infectious. Meant to catch him last year in Annapolis when Johnny A opened for him but didn't get there.

Although Joe is my absolute favorite (living) slide player, honorable mentions go to Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and Dave Hole from Australia, definitely worth checking out if you get a chance...saw him in a small club in Hanover, PA last year and he just flat-out smokes.

Keep on rockin' the blues...

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Purple Carl:

I see you dig on Sonny too. He comes around to Portland every couple of years, and puts on a great slide lesson. He gets in the funk groove, and it hooks you along for the ride.

Can't argue with your other slide masters either. Count me in as a fan of Warren, David and Derek of course.

RockinRon

Two kinds of women in this world. Theres naughty and there's nice
Any man will tell you that one is a virtue
And the other is a Vice.
Warren Haynes-Inside Outside Women Blues #3-By a Thread

6 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2006-12-09 10:32:05)

Sonny was the closer at the Ottawa Blues Festival in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 2005 on the same "Roots" stage Joe had performed on, albeit a week earlier...between the artist lineup, the weather and performances, New Orleans had moved north for a spell.  Ironically a month later Katrina hit. I talked to Sonny after the festival and mentioned he & Joe performing at some juncture and he became quite animated despite being literally dripping wet tired... (so hot my camera died from the humidity just after the show-11:00 p.m.!!!)

Demonsterastratofixation wrote:

Sonny was the closer at the Ottawa Blues Festival in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 2005 on the same "Roots" stage Joe had performed on, albeit a week earlier...between the artist lineup, the weather and performances, New Orleans had moved north for a spell.  Ironically a month later Katrina hit. I talked to Sonny after the festival and mentioned he & Joe performing at some juncture and he became quite animated despite being literally dripping wet tired... (so hot my camera died from the humidity just after the show-11:00 p.m.!!!)

Quite animated? With superlatives? I saw Sonny follow Joe in Ft. Smith. I almost felt sorry for him. The energy went from 1000 kilowatts to about 60 watts. The crowd pretty much dissapated too. It was a bit too tame for me. I could never make it through an album of his either. Pretty mundane from start to finish. Other than that I hear he is a great slide player. I was just expecting more from a live performance.

Superlatives yes! I wouldn't want to follow Joe either! Perhaps it would've been better the other way around? Build up to a peak.  Sonny is from Lafayette, LA home of the Bluebirds too who some would argue aren't much except a good recording "bar" blues band...up yonder north they would be considered "roots" and probably "big"(out west maybe "roots", "boring", "smalltime" and out of work)...Sonny tends to be more "historical" over truly "original" than some tastes admire, but it is his chosen mission(over passion??!)...on the other hand Derek Trucks solo is perhaps "original" more than "historical", and he gets a Grammy nod?! Some consider him mundane and boring also...JB Hutto was a damn good slide player, who might incorporate both players "faults"... personally like it all...but my favorite is Joe Bonamassa, a damn good Yankee blues rocker whom a Mr. Jack Renfro says "should change his tune" on You & Me's review on Amazon.com (now THAT'S blasphemy!!!!) I guess the thing I like most about all these cats is they do their own thing and it sometimes seems to be like something pesonally "TO" me, and not junk mail, spam, an infomercial or telemarketing.

jim m wrote:
Demonsterastratofixation wrote:

Quite animated? With superlatives? I saw Sonny follow Joe in Ft. Smith. I almost felt sorry for him. The energy went from 1000 kilowatts to about 60 watts. The crowd pretty much dissapated too. It was a bit too tame for me. I could never make it through an album of his either. Pretty mundane from start to finish. Other than that I hear he is a great slide player. I was just expecting more from a live performance.

Joe,
   Saw Sonny last Sat. he told me he would be happy to play on your new acoustic cd, maybe add some bottle-neck guitar. What do you think?

I've been a Sonny fan for years, however the only disc of his I own is South of I-10. If you're only gonna have one of his discs this is a damn good one to have. One of the best tracks on it is Congo Square which Sonny wrote, (not the Nevilles) featuring Sonny on slide and Mark Knopfler on lead and rythym and the ultimate New Orleans keys man Allen Toussaint. Sonny is also featured on Jimmy Buffets Licencse to Chill CD. Favorite track here doesn't include any of the latest hats from Nashville, the Grateful Deads Scarlet Begonias. As good as Sonny is I personally see no reason for him and Joe to hook up though.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint