Re: My G string kills me - Intonation

ModTourMan wrote:

I play a Les Paul.  It sounds like you have an ear that is sensitive to the compromised tuning that 6-string guitarists have to live with.  Peterson Tuners hae a proprietary tempered tuning that will sweeten the tuning issues you mentioned.
I recommend the Peterson VS II.

Yup I agree with Mod on this one.  Getting a better ear is blessing and a curse!!  lol    The G string seems to be the one that is the hardest to adjust out its problems on the tempered scale guitar.  My best experience has been to set all my strings up at the 12th (intonation) then go back over each string and make slight adjustments if they are off at the 5th and 17th fret.  You will find that on all strings except the G you can get it sounding pretty good.  You will also find that the G will "probably be" sharp at the 5th fret and flat at the 17th.  I just try and mirco adjust the saddles from there so that each (the 5th and 17th on the G) are of the same amount, be it sharp on the 5th and flat on the 17th.

20 (edited by LPDesertBurst 2011-06-24 17:19:12)

Look nu further. This works for my Les Paul and others.

From Kevin Ryan guitar builder (http://www.ryanguitars.com/NewsandEvent … Method.htm)

Tuning Notes: 

A)   When you tune the following fretted notes to the harmonics, tune them "beatless"-- i.e., without any hint of  "rolling" or pulsating as the two notes synchronize.  When two notes get closer, their "beating" slows down until it disappears altogether when they are perfectly in tune.  This is very important!  This is the skill to be gained!

B)  In each step below, pluck the harmonic first. Then fret and pluck the designated string.  This allows you to hear both notes simultaneously.  Then tune the appropriate string.

Tune the D string to a known source
Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the G (fretted at the 7th fret) to this harmonic.
Pluck the same 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the B (fretted at the 3rd fret) to this harmonic
Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the G and tune the High E fretted at the 3rd fret to this harmonic
Tune the 12th fret harmonic of the A to the G fretted at the 2nd fret (pluck the harmonic first!)
Tune the 5th fret harmonic of the Low E to the High E open (pluck the harmonic first!)

Note: To apply the tuning method to alternate tunings, all you have to do is find the proper fretted note on the string you are tuning and tune it beatless to a 12th fret harmonic on a string below it. Easy as pie.

Final advice: take note that old strings are more difficult to tune than new strings.  This is because of uneven stretching of the string and the subsequent erratic vibration patterns.  In some instances, old strings are impossible to tune correctly.  If you have difficulty achieving good intonation, change strings.

Here is the answer..  Big Bends Nut sauce..   That will sort out all tuning issues on a Les Paul. 
It is a lifesaver.. 
Joe B

I hate to admit this but I have always been too tight to buy the Big Bends Nut Sauce.  But I have had good luck with good old #2 pencil lead.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Here is the answer..  Big Bends Nut sauce..   That will sort out all tuning issues on a Les Paul. 
It is a lifesaver.. 
Joe B

I agree with the man himself. Big Bends Nut Sauce is the stuff. It lasts for ages as you don't need to use much at all. Another thing is to properly stretch your strings when you change them, then set the intonation. The only time I have tuning problems is when I haven't stretched the strings properly.

This discussion mixes up two problems:

1) string gets stuck in the nut with tuning and string bending. Nut sauce, graphite, etc. solves that problem

2) inherent inharmonics due to physics of the strings. Especially guitars with thick unwound G-string suffer from this. Folks with good ears keep tuning the G-string when using conventional tuning technics. Have you never experienced that everything sounds just right and you use an open D-chord and . . .  auch that sounded horrible?

Theorectically you cannot get a guitar 100% right. Laws of physics just prevent this. Spreading the error accross centering around "D-tune" makes it bearable for most ears. The tempered tuning technique from Kevin Ryan shows this. Read his background stuf on this, it might convince you.

http://www.ryanguitars.com/NewsandEvent … _Terms.htm