How thick do these panels need to be?

1/4" plexi at the least.

Ben

20 (edited by ken 2010-01-08 23:18:09)

Re: Plexi shield choice

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Musicians Friend has \__/ for $60
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … sku=404502

That's pretty cool and a good price. I bet these come unassembled (3 sheilds with 2 hinges), and you could probably make your V shape by just using 2 sheilds.

I say this because the 4 piece shield under it states that it comes unassembled.

Hell, for $10 more buy the 4 piece and make your own VV! http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … sku=404503

Well thanks to everyone for the answers! I'm about to order the V shield.

Clearsonic make their shields with 1/4" thick panels. I guess that's the thickness to go with...

Hi!
Just a last question before I place my order. I think I may order hinges from Tap Plastics. Do you guys usually order their Flex-Fold 2 hinges or do you get something else to connect your two 1/4" thick panels?

Here's the link to the hinge I'm talking about:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product … d=124&

Thanks!

23 (edited by fuzzy wuzzy 2010-01-10 14:29:22)

twistingcrow wrote:

Hi!
Just a last question before I place my order. I think I may order hinges from Tap Plastics. Do you guys usually order their Flex-Fold 2 hinges or do you get something else to connect your two 1/4" thick panels?

Here's the link to the hinge I'm talking about:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product … d=124&

Thanks!

Thats the one we used, don't forget the glue, a small can of the Tap acrylic cement. Lay the plexi down on a flat surface, position them  next to each other. Dry fit the hinge before you glue it. When you're confidant yhat you have it lined up correctly, apply the glue with a small brush, first the plexi then the hinge. You have to work fast because that stuff dries pretty quick, also, do it in a well ventillated room or outside-that stuff is seriously potent!  Let us know how it works out for you.

Jack

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Hi!
I ordered a flex-fold 2 hinge yesterday and my plexi panels. I eventually went for the V shape as so many of you, Joe included, told me to. I'll post some pics later of the finished shield and let you know how it performs. Luckily it should be ready for my next gig on January 23rd...
Cheers!

Oh and there is a right and wrong way for the hinges.  You'll see, just don't do the wrong side, that was my job and I messed up on the first one (look before you glue lol), but it still worked out fine.

Ben

I just made a \/ shield of 1/4" plexi 24 x 36 (12x18" each section)  Two hinges , the plexi and some high grade epoxy.  Total cost $42.98.
The epoxy is holding great...no give, looks nice.   We'll see how long it'll hold.

Made one today, of two 6mm Lexan shields, 50x65cm each. I used 50cm "piano hinge" and drilled holes/screwed the hinges to the plates.
No dramatic effect at bedroom level offcourse, but works very well at louder volumes.

Hey!
I finally got the plexi shield assembled an tested it live during a 150 minute show last Saturday in a 100 people venue. Geez this thing does work, it's amazing! Got my JTM45 cranked at 8/10 with my 2X12 XL cab loaded with two EVM12L's... Nobody complained and some at the rear of the venue said I wasn't loud enough during solos...  they all said the bass player and the drummer were too much in the front.TT

During the second set I took out the shield and everyone said that now I came up nice and loud and could be heard over the rhythm section, but that the overall sound was too loud... So now that I've got my amp tamed it looks like the search is not over, I have to tell my bandmates to turn their instruments down!

I know you're gonna tell me "get miked" but I want to turn the overall sound level down, so there's no point in doing that, is there?... As far as the bassist is concerned he may turn down his amp or get a plexi shield too, but what about the drummer, what can I tell him?

Have you got any tips, has this thing ever happened to you? It looks like after all it is really the drummer that comes up with a sound level and everybody has to deal with it because it's the only instrument that can't be turned down (that is turn their amps up to the point that they can be heard over the drummer, but then it's too damn loud for the audience... I'm stumped here...)

Drums can be playe soft but sometimes that doesn't fit the style of music. Having a good stage volume that transfers to the size of the room comes with experience and with being able to listen to others and adjust.

Even with micing all instruments when you have a stage volume out of control you still can't get a good mix.

Shields don't really help in a small room on bass. Bass waves combine and double under certain situations so it can actually add to the problem. The problem with bass is players tend to turn it up because they can't hear themselves and have no idea that the volume is out of control out front. If you tilt the cab or put it on something so it isn't rattling your knees only that helps.

Some drummers have no touch. Sometimes a new drummer solves that problem. smile

30 (edited by Stratovari 2010-01-27 10:55:01)

I have made a new plexi shield too.
Before I had no v-shape which I corrected now.
Last gig I could try it and it worked phenomenal.
I will not go anywhere without it unless we play a stadium gig. lol

I used two shields 50x70cm and 3 hinges which I screwd
to the shields. Works well, is stable and it was cheap.

Here some pics that I made at the soundcheck before the gig.

http://www.delle-away.de/gitstuff/01.jpg
http://www.delle-away.de/gitstuff/02.jpg
http://www.delle-away.de/gitstuff/03.jpg
http://www.delle-away.de/gitstuff/04.jpg

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I just made a plexi shield from a couple panels from Lowe's. I must say it didn't allow me to crank it up any louder. It didn't prevent any more feedback than without it, but it DID block some of the shrill on the high end. neutral It's just ok, not quite up to expectations. I think the Weber Beam Blocker does just as much for cheaper.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

jim m wrote:

Having a good stage volume that transfers to the size of the room comes with experience and with being able to listen to others and adjust.[...]Some drummers have no touch. Sometimes a new drummer solves that problem. smile

I gotta tell that to my drummer, he'll be pleased... No seriously, I play blues-rock from ZZ Top to SRV, Joe of course, KWS, G.Moore...

Can the drummer really hit his drums softer and control his volume this way or ?

The thing is that to deal with stage volume we listen to the drummer first and how his playing resonates in the room. Then we all (2 guitars, singer, bassist and keyboard player) set our own volumes accordingly. Then we do a general soundcheck and all realize the drummer is still too loud, so we all turn our volumes up and then everything is too loud...

Can I advise him to get a smaller drum set or can I tell him "For God's sake stop hitting your stuff as if you were playing a stadium!" madroll

Tips welcome of course!

Some drummers hit too hard. Some hit too soft and others can adjust. you can put a plexi shield on him. smile The problem escalates when you play as loud as the drummer then the drummer get louder and so on and so on. Play a good volume for the room and give the drummer dirty looks. Play dynamically. Bring it down and back up and try to do it together. WFO is just not what anybody should be playing.

The best bands can get quieter and louder on que per a song's necessity.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Right, thanks guys. Now I know I have to tell my drummer to listen to us more and put dynamics into his playing. Sometimes he's even lagging a few seconds keeping hitting hard when I'm into a quiet slow section of a solo... I think he's gonna get mad looks now... tongue

Well, the Drums react differently to being hit softer or harder. Much like a tube guitar amp, the Drums can "overdrive" a little, when hit hard. Compresses the sound.

So, Stick Control is a top priority with good Drummers. However, many just like the feeling of beating the $#!+ out of their Drums.

Also, the first "Shields" I ever saw were at Churches, and they were for controlling stage volumes on the Drums.
    Some churches even have a Shield about 5 foot high, kind of like a cage the Drummer plays inside.

Then, they run Mics to the Drums.

Helps to maintain a more reasonable volume level on stage.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner