Topic: I think I just wasted $110!!!

Jonny Lang is playing the hotel I'm staying at later this month, so I ordered a couple tickets to his show, recalling his song "Lie to Me" from several years ago. So I go to Amazon and click to listen to clips from his new album, and it's a poor imitation of Stevie Wonder!? What he heck is going on? Wasn't he a young-gun blues guitar guy? Maybe I have time to cancel...damn....

Re: I think I just wasted $110!!!

I think he's a $20 or $25 show. I heard from a reliable source a couple of years ago that he made a deal with the devil; record company is controlling his released material. Good news is, that a lot of his live show is made up of older more recognizable songs that everyone wants to hear.

I'd have passed at $55 per ticket, though.

Sorry to hear.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

I've heard he's killer in concert.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

4 (edited by RKO 2006-12-05 09:25:04)

Jonny just played here in Detroit a few weeks back & it was a very good show...some new material, but a lot of the old stuff.
Tix here were $20

Possibly he had an "off" night ?

"growing older but staying immature"

http://www.myspace.com/rkomgt

pcornell wrote:

I think he's a $20 or $25 show... I'd have passed at $55 per ticket, though.
PC

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind the $20 extra. It's vacation time and I'd probably "donate" that much to the slot machines during that same time anyways...

i wasted some money purchasing some of his tunes off Itunes...depressing. Yeah, he is more soul than blues these days.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Deezer wrote:

I've heard he's killer in concert.

Someone lied to you.

wink

I say that lightly. I saw Johnny play live once. I stayed for 2 songs. he was good, but not good enough for me to want to stay. For me, he doesnt have anyhing special. He used to be "that really young kid who's a great guitar player." But now, he's just another guitar player, and there ain't any shortage of those.

I think what he lacks is really great songs.

pcornell wrote:

I heard from a reliable source a couple of years ago that he made a deal with the devil; record company is controlling his released material.

Johnny Lang's deal with the devil came when he played for Bill Clinton and the DNC way back in 96 I believe.

“My vocation is more in composition really than anything else - building up harmonies using the guitar, orchestrating the guitar like an army, a guitar army.”
-Jimmy Page

9 (edited by Deezer 2006-12-14 10:15:03)

I seriously doubt that they lied to me. From the videos I've seen, the guy smokes. He's one of the greatest singers going. Period. No discussion necessary.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

This just in...the money was not wasted.

Glad to hear it. Did he still have the guy with him that plays a tele and is pretty good?

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Being the 1st time I saw him I don't know if his rhythm guitarist is the same guy or not, but he never played a Tele. Played a (what looked like) a hollow-body Gibson, maybe a 335(?) but it was that body style/shape.