Re: The one guitar you regret most parting with?

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Can I throw another "amp" one in the pot?

Sold my Silver Jubilee 2x12 combo - very, very cool sounding. 40kg with one carry handle was silly so bent down to push it into the boot of the car - knackered my already poor shoulder.

However, I sold it to buy a ticket to Led Zeppelin at the O2 in 07. The price was umm....high... roll

Miss it.

Yeah, but you got to see Zep. That's something an awful lot of us didn't get to see (luckily, I did back in '73) and that a lot of folks would've sold their grannies for. Like I said, clouds and silver linings.

Had it been your place, I might just have been tempted to trade the guitar again....and probably regretted it all again.

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

BBJ wrote:

Yeah, but you got to see Zep. That's something an awful lot of us didn't get to see (luckily, I did back in '73) and that a lot of folks would've sold their grannies for. Like I said, clouds and silver linings.

Had it been your place, I might just have been tempted to trade the guitar again....and probably regretted it all again.

Haha, yeah woah - I am most definitely NOT complaining one bit.

The L.P was out the corner of my eye on that week too - but god damn I couldn't do it - especially when I could still play that - however un-amped it might have been tongue

Looking back at the whole experience along with seeing the last stand of Floyd at Live8 and other such greats - things like that end up being priceless in (my) memories.

I would do it all over again and more. smile

Anyway, back to my favourite topic - guitars and amps!

I had a Dean baby ML from the 80's. Sounded great, had a low action that did not buzz. I sort of regret parting with... but I needed an acoustic. ohwell

it had a dual locking Kahler tremolo (one where you could replace it with a gibson bridge and stopbar if you wanted to.
24 frets, mother of pearl block inlays
small V shaped headstock
Zebra pickups
and a two-meg pot that I put in it for the volume pot.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I had a '59 Les Paul Jr. that someone had painted with white house paint, which pretty much ruined it's collector value. My second "real" guitar, I traded a Red ES-330 with an original Bigsby.

I had to pawn the Jr. for $100 bucks, I still hear the sound of the original P-90 pickup in my head...

3 spring to mind:

A 72 LP Deluxe gold top with mini HB's. I loved that guitar.
62 Fender jag- it needed a refret so badly...couldn't do it.
57 Tobacco Strat....light as a feather but I p-exed it for a 56 Mary Kay which I still have.

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.

I regret parting with my MusicMan Stingray II. Maple neck, rock maple body, natural finish. Like a Strat, but bigger, and different in ways. The upside: I traded it so my son could get a bass. Later on my brother-in-law sold me his Strat Plus for such a low price I will not mention it. This is my main guitar.

1989 Fender Strat plus (mahogany body, maple neck, lace sensor pickups, locking tuning heads, steel double roller nut)
2009 Ibanez AK-95
2007 Crafter accoustic
2009 Egnater Rebel 30 amp

PRS Custom 24 10 top.  I still have seperation anxiety.  Like a baby being ripped from its momma's teet. 

sad

Hello Everyone,

Well in my case, it was Out of Medical Necessity, and Being Outta work for quite some time, due to it !!

Brace yourselves, It was an Original 1959 Gibson Les Paul, Not a Re-Issue, But The Real Deal ! I got it as a B-Day gift from My Uncle, who's Little Brother was owner and was killed in Vietnam, He Bought it new, and it had Low Miles on it ! I had it Refurbished at The Gibson Custom Shop, and They Authenticated it and all !

Sold it for 15k I was sick, But needed the cash and this guy had it in hand and I had to take it ! He Promised If I ever got in a Position where I could handle Buying it back he would sell it back to me !! Guess what he moved, No Matter I still can't swing it anyhow !

I have some San Dimas Custom Charvels New and Older Models I bought New in early 80's and Then Endorsed for them awhile and got some nice ones made for me ! But Nothing beats a Les Paul plugged into an Older Model Marshal ! Fat and Nasty, Gotta Love it !

Peace Everyone, Joe

Back in the early eighties when I was a Michael Schenker addict, I had a Gibson Flying V that was a kind of antique sunburst color.  I have never seen another one like it. Man, I would like to have that one back.  If it is worth a lot of money now, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.

HoosierRock wrote:

Back in the early eighties when I was a Michael Schenker addict, I had a Gibson Flying V that was a kind of antique sunburst color.  I have never seen another one like it. Man, I would like to have that one back.  If it is worth a lot of money now, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.

Well I'm a Big UFO and MSG as well as early Scorpions Fan, and Michael is a guy that had a Big Influence on my Playing. in fact I have his New Dean Model V ( For Collector Purpose ) and The V you spoke of, is in fact worth a lot to a collector, and a Modest amount, to the Ordinary Guitar Guy !

I would like to talk with you sometime as I opened for The Scorpions and MSG in the Eighties ! I would've liked that guitar myself ! as his early V's were white, until his sig Blk & Wht V's made their appearances !

Have a good one, chat soon,

Peace, Joe !

1987 335 Dot Cherry Sunburst. Sold it in 1998 and regret it to this day...

I wish I still had my first guitar. It was a cheap strat knock-off, all black, nothing special about it at all but just for sentimental reasons. I sold it to upgrade to a Yamaha I ordered from Sears. I sold it to a friend who dismanteled the whole thing and used the neck and pickguard assembly on a homemade Warlock style body with plywood. I think the brand was Vox or Univox or something like that. I haven't been able to find one since.

Used 1970 black LP Custom. The finish was horrific so I had it refinished in white like the reissues that were coming out in the mid 70s. I put a Demarzio at the bridge and it was a rock and roll monster. I don't have the strength to tell you what I traded for. Let's just say I was young and impressionable. Yeah, that's it...

Blessings,.
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Well I have to say the one guitar I most regret parting with is one that I never had.  I had a great price qouted to me...just couldn't get the funds together before someone bought it....the guitar is one of the glossy Joe Bonamassa Inspired Les Pauls...I can't complain too much I ended up with a 58RI but I still regret not getting the JBLP.... hmm

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

had 2 that got away, the original 72 Telecaster Thinline and a 73-74 Gibson L6-S. I don't miss the L6 but had to replace the tele with the reissue model. Both were sold for next to nothing. Not as bad as my brother though !!! He gave up a 66 or 67 ES345 with tobacco sunburst, we always complained it was too heavy anyway. yeah, great rationalization there.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

For me that would be a mid '90's LP that I bought for $400 (that's right) and sold for $400 (that's also right) the same month when I was really hurting for money. I break into a cold sweat just thinking about it. At the time I was a "Strat Guy" and was biased about guitars. Now I own Strat's and LP's.

What was I thinking?!

Just 20 years old and foolish I guess....

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Just wanted to let you guys know that even non-players appreciate your stories & recollections, the humour and the pain.

Keep 'em coming. It's a great thread. Joe, great title for a song "Blonde over Ash" - sounds like a heartbreaker. As is Jeff's "Flying Mustang" although as it was a 4th floor window maybe it was a skullbreaker.

Thanks for sharing. What did Sinatra sing "Regrets, I've had a few, but then again.........."

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

A 2006 Fender 52 RI Telecaster limited Edition with 'Thin Skin' Finish'

It was awesome.

I now have a Yamaha SA220 which is the best guitar I have ever played but I still miss doing Keef poses with that Telecaster and a Marlboro...

Guitars: 95 Les Paul Standard, Relic Strat,
Amps: 1973 Marshall JMP 50 head and Vintage Modern Cab. I use no effects other than a Cry Baby on occasions.