Topic: The Road To Escondido

I'm lookin' for any feedback from the Bonamasses who have heard the new JJ Cale and Eric Clapton CD. My copy showed up Fri. and I've been diggin' it all weekend. Favorite tracks so far are Danger, Ride The River, and Any Way The Wind Blows, especially drivin' down the road. Only down side is that poser blueser John Mayer appears on one track with EC, actually it's not that bad. Derek Trucks appears too, but the liner notes don't mention which track. Check it out and feedback after digesting.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Re: The Road To Escondido

hey dawg- I've only had it a few days, but first off I'd say, if you're not a JJ Cale fan, you're probably not going to take to most of the album.  With that said- I like it, it's a low key, feel good, easy listening kind of CD with a strong JJ Cale feel, but not too country, which is exactly what Clapton wanted to accomplish. (a hybrid as he says). In addition to the songs you mentioned I like Sporting Life Blues by Brownie McGhee, Don't Cry Sister and Last Will and Testament...nice guitar music with easy to understand lyrics that relate to everyday life and I do enjoy hearing Billy Preston's last efforts on this CD, even though it's sad he's passed on. 

In contrast to your John Mayer comment, I don't think Mayer's contribution is a down side and you're right about the one track not being that bad. I think "Hard To Thrill" is an exceptional song and speaks volumes... listen to those lyrics..."Hard to Thrill, Nothing really moves me anymore, There's Nothing you can show me, That I haven't seen before".  To me it says, been there, done that...don't have to prove anything to anyone...I'm happy in my own skin and I love my "Three Little Girls"!!!!  Clapton has the most versatile music catalog of anyone I follow and I have my preferences, like many Clapton fans.  Clapton's  lived a fascinating and complex life, reluctantly been coined the ultimate guitar god, long ago proved the wicked guitar skills, has pleasured over a thousand different women... the man is most content at this point in his life...To me, those two songs explain the "place" Eric Clapton finds himself in today after almost 50 years of playing guitar; happy and in love with life's simple pleasures of his music and a wonderful family! IMHO

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Very well put Angela. Sums it all up for me.

Angela wrote:

hey dawg- I've only had it a few days, but first off I'd say, if you're not a JJ Cale fan, you're probably not going to take to most of the album.  With that said- I like it, it's a low key, feel good, easy listening kind of CD with a strong JJ Cale feel, but not too country, which is exactly what Clapton wanted to accomplish. (a hybrid as he says). In addition to the songs you mentioned I like Sporting Life Blues by Brownie McGhee, Don't Cry Sister and Last Will and Testament...nice guitar music with easy to understand lyrics that relate to everyday life and I do enjoy hearing Billy Preston's last efforts on this CD, even though it's sad he's passed on. 

In contrast to your John Mayer comment, I don't think Mayer's contribution is a down side and you're right about the one track not being that bad. I think "Hard To Thrill" is an exceptional song and speaks volumes... listen to those lyrics..."Hard to Thrill, Nothing really moves me anymore, There's Nothing you can show me, That I haven't seen before".  To me it says, been there, done that...don't have to prove anything to anyone...I'm happy in my own skin and I love my "Three Little Girls"!!!!  Clapton has the most versatile music catalog of anyone I follow and I have my preferences, like many Clapton fans.  Clapton's  lived a fascinating and complex life, reluctantly been coined the ultimate guitar god, long ago proved the wicked guitar skills, has pleasured over a thousand different women... the man is most content at this point in his life...To me, those two songs explain the "place" Eric Clapton finds himself in today after almost 50 years of playing guitar; happy and in love with life's simple pleasures of his music and a wonderful family! IMHO

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Hey, Ohiodawg!
   Nice review! I haven't gotten the album yet, but noticed your comment about John Mayer. I agree that you cannot cast him as a straight-on bluesman, but some of the stuff I've heard is very good. There is an undercurrent of the Blues in quite a bit of his music, sort-of understated, I think.
   Have you heard his newest, "Continuum?" It's typical John Mayer, but there is one song, "Slow Dancin' in a Burning Room," that is very bluesy. Check out his show on Direc TV this month, part of CD Freeview on 101. It will be gone by Dec. 1st.
   I haven't been a huge fan of John in the past, but noticed Eric  Clapton had him at the Crossroads Festival. That piqued my interest, but when I heard "Waitin' on the World to Change" in the background of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, I decided I liked it enough to go out and buy it the next week.
   I haven't been at all displeased with it, but then, I'm a very eclectic type of person. I like Jazz alot, and there are strong overtones in this album, as well as a strong undercurrent of the blues.
  This album is tasty, sophisticated stuff. Check it out bro'.
     Love and Peace from Selma, OR
         Steve and Janet