Topic: The NFL - National Football League

I'll go ahead and start a new thread for everything NFL.  Number of different topics to talk about from pre-season predictions, players going to different teams, to everything exciting in the upcoming NFL season.  You can even use this for any fantasy football topics if anyone is in a fantasy football league.
Enjoy the season

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL wink

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: The NFL - National Football League

Patriots!

Oops, sorry, I was a bit too enthusiast... big_smile

Since I can only watch the Super Bowl once a year, I don't know every rule, I don't know every team and every player but I enjoy watching a game.

Follow me on Twitter, join me on Facebook

There will be no NFL in this home until Michael Vick is gone.

4 (edited by BluesMan 2009-08-22 18:47:43)

Just a thought.....

The threads about NFL Football, European Football and Rugby are rather interesting. It seems as though passion runs high when it comes to sport and yes, I too have been guilty of that. However, let's all keep in mind that sport is merely another form of entertainment, something that distracts us from our day in, day out lives.

However that said, I will reiterate one more time.........

GO PACKERS!!!! smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Being an Eagles fan, I don't even know where to start with this topic!  I've come full circle, but wow what a hot potatoe. Of all the type of fans to mess with, PETA and the likes don't know what's in store messing with your die-heart Eagles' fan who have drunk too much alcohol.  I'm hoping there's not a lot crap going down at the tailgate parties etc. with protesters etc.

With T.O's house still up for sale, I'm just hoping Michael Vick doesn't turn out to be my new neighbor, especially since T.O. is supportive and Vick is broke.  big_smile I did hear Vick is looking to live in neighboring Pennsylvania .

On a serious note, I've come full circle on the sensitivity of this topic: facts have to be faced...exceptions have long been made at all levels of sports, it doesn't make it right, it just is what it is.  Colleges lower academic standards for athletes, it permeates many areas of the "sports business", there are quite a few felons in professional sports...  I guarantee the majority of Eagle fans that are holding a grudge against Vick and turning in their season tickets may reconsider giving him a second chance when and or if he helps the Eagles win some football.

I am in no way condoning bad behavior, just gruesome and horrific.  God will be Vick's judge and I do respect some of Vick's mentors, but as an Eagles fan, I could have done without the big buzz, although I know this was not an easy decision for management.  My neighbor is Andy Reid's personal body guard for many years now.  I feel a little worried for him, I think his job's stress level just accelerated!

Spider wrote:

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

He did the crime, he served his time. Now he'll have to be judged before God Almighty. But until that point, he sucks because he's an Eagle. smile Go Cowboys!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:

He did the crime, he served his time. Now he'll have to be judged before God Almighty. But until that point, he sucks because he's an Eagle. smile Go Cowboys!

lol lol lol Waal yorta be uhshamed...

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Hey Deezer,

Please keep us updated on the nice new HD Scoreboard you have there.  Let us know if and when they are going to raise it because it will make for an interesting season if it stays where it's at.  We play you Thanksgiving Day and if it doesn't have a hole in it by then, then Shane Lechler may put one in there.
Maybe they will make a new rule just for the screen. 

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/22/dall … g-too-low/

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Deezer wrote:

Go Cowboys!

I suppose they're your nearest team. big_smile

Go Skins! (despite the 23-0 pre-season thrashing by the Ravens I had to witness with Cathy, who was very good about it and comforted me in my misery).

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

Hey Deezer,

Please keep us updated on the nice new HD Scoreboard you have there.  Let us know if and when they are going to raise it because it will make for an interesting season if it stays where it's at.  We play you Thanksgiving Day and if it doesn't have a hole in it by then, then Shane Lechler may put one in there.

I heard the league say they were going to. Have to replay the down or something like that, so that teams can't use it to run the clock out by just kicking the screen.

Spider wrote:

I don't watch much professional sports these days due to issues like Mike Vick.  I was hoping nobody would take him, but knew the win-at-all-costs crowd who dominate all sports would pick him up.  Sometimes I think we as fans need to stand up and say this isn't right and we're not going support the anti-heros who seem to feel laws only apply to other people.  Where I work, if you're convicted of a felony you're fired and the same should apply to professional athletes.
I recently caught one of those inane ESPN sportstalk shows where both commentators blew off steroid use in baseball as an issue for "old people" and not the average fan.  I couldn't believe my ears!
For now all I watch is high school and college sports...that is until the axe of greed raises its ugly head.

Lets see....Donte Stallworth kills a man while driving intoxicated (by law standards), he gets 28 days in jail!!!!.....Michael Vick brutally fights and kills dogs, he gets 2 years and comes back to millions.....me or you, well were still in prison praying were not somebodys boyfriend or worse....I dont have an answer to anything that applys to pro athletes or the laws that seem to exempt them from a fate deserving of the crime....

Just another working stiff,

Shred

A year under My Man Joe Flacco's belt... GO RAVENS!

Deezer wrote:
The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

Hey Deezer,

I heard the league say they were going to. Have to replay the down or something like that, so that teams can't use it to run the clock out by just kicking the screen.

The NFL made a decision today regarding the new HD Scoreboard in Dallas.  Here's the story about what the rule will be.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent … 4f032.html

It's funny to me how Jerry Jones and the Dallas punter Mat McBriar addressed this.  McBriar even used my punter as an example of who would hit the scoreboard.

Jones said that in a regular-season game, the height would not be a factor because punters kick toward the sidelines to help the coverage team.

Jones knows better than that but since it is his scoreboard he doesn't want to raise it.  Part of a punter's skill is air time.  How high and long it stays in the air so the coverage can get downfield to cover the punt.  So the scoreboard takes away from one of a punter's skills, the height.  I'm glad that they said there may be a different long-term solution.  If they can raise it for the U2 concert, they can raise it for NFL games.  They can at least use this season as a trial period to see if it adveresly affects the punting game.

Oh well, he's Jerry Jones. He can do what he wants. Go Cowboys!!! big_smile

Deezer wrote:

Oh well, he's Jerry Jones. He can do what he wants. Go Cowboys!!! big_smile

How 'bout them 9ers!!!!! Sure it's only preseason, but who'd want to face Mike Singletary after losing anything? I've never been a 9er fan, but they've gotten my attention since Singletary took over. I wish them well as long as it doesn't effect the Browns.

Woof Woof Go Dawgs,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Them doggone 'Fins are 3-0 in pre season

whadayaknow?

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Anyone notice the new guy taking snaps in Chicago??
Looks like he's got some talent....

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"