Re: The NFL - National Football League

What a disappointment the NFL has become. I mean, what happened to classy, respectful pro sports anyway? It seems much of the good sportsmanship has vanished, especially in pro football & NBA. It always rubs me the wrong way when a "professional" feels the need to showboat, do an idiotic dance or things of this sort when simply doing their job. I would be ashamed to be a supporter of the Seahawks last night after the silliness that went on at the end of the game. Yea sure, a good play was made that ended the game, but the exaggerated self-important attitude many players have is ridiculous. And these press conferences,...it's almost as if we are about to hear about a cure for cancer or something! Do people really care that much? It's a GAME, the world would go on just fine without it. I doubt football would exist if it weren't for alcohol sales anyway.

diamondback wrote:

What a disappointment the NFL has become. I mean, what happened to classy, respectful pro sports anyway? It seems much of the good sportsmanship has vanished, especially in pro football & NBA. It always rubs me the wrong way when a "professional" feels the need to showboat, do an idiotic dance or things of this sort when simply doing their job. I would be ashamed to be a supporter of the Seahawks last night after the silliness that went on at the end of the game. Yea sure, a good play was made that ended the game, but the exaggerated self-important attitude many players have is ridiculous. And these press conferences,...it's almost as if we are about to hear about a cure for cancer or something! Do people really care that much? It's a GAME, the world would go on just fine without it. I doubt football would exist if it weren't for alcohol sales anyway.

I know this...you cannot go mouthin' off like that in prison!  Well, you could, but........

It is beyond a disappointment when you invidiously downgrade and disparage your own team mate(s) who happen to play the same position by declaring yourself the best.  What a @#$%^^&# maroon! roll Doesn't matter even if everyone in the locker room believes it, not nice "team" representation to publicly be so indiscriminately blatant a bozo... yikes  Send that buffoon to minor league pro wrestling circuit A.S.A.P.  Is THAT where NFL football is now? neutral Seems it often... mad Wish they would stop impinging on the sanctity of pro wrestling with these antics! tongue

Bad enough the Bowman injury and incorrect field call for possession, and yes, that was THE game changer...but if anyone needs proof the NFL needs to address many practical game adjustments, including just EXACTLY what is possession and the concise definition of fumble and "Down" in regards to recovery...and that damnable "review process," there it was! It is granted one has an even greater possibility of even greater injury in playoff football than prior games, but to have a double whammy of the obviously bad call adding insult to injury... hmm

Notice that both teams "progressing" on both have legalized recreation cannabis use as their respective state laws allow...on to the Stupor Bowl! lol A flying flaming Hindenberg sized joint will be landing at halftime...which will be extended by an extra 30 minutes to clear the concession lines completely... tongue

Just not advisable to bet against any team Peyton Manning is QBing... wink

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Plus a gazillion Rocket!
That game in Seattle was right at the top for all time worst officiating.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

1,588 (edited by Rocket 2014-01-20 16:39:35)

RickB wrote:

Plus a gazillion Rocket!
Rick

Given the play I mention-I don't like anyone "stripping" the ball instead of tackling, so Bowman got more than he bargained for.  And it could be said it is a moot point about the fumble as it was ruled in "better" SF favor as it was from downs, but I am objective about the game.  He was DOWN with possession closer to the goal line, and THAT affords an opportunity for greater pressure on the 49ers offense to avoid the Seahawks gaining redemption with a safety...remember I am a 49er fan, but fair is fair...Plus him down and injured but no baloney with the call makes it, fans perspective, a more "heroic" injury, one with no bad after taste for either team.  But please, STOP STRIPPING THE BALL and just tackle...

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

diamondback wrote:

You should start watching NHL hockey if you want to see sportsmanship, good hard play and little or no showboating. It's why I've grown to love hockey more than any other sport. It isa TRUE team game. Yes, there are the occasional fisticuffs and the less occasional embarrassments (Recent Calgary/Vancouver game where the Hanson Brothers showed up), but those are aberrations.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Rocket wrote:
RickB wrote:

Plus a gazillion Rocket!
Rick

Given the play I mention-I don't like anyone "stripping" the ball instead of tackling, so Bowman got more than he bargained for.  And it could be said it is a moot point about the fumble as it was ruled in "better" SF favor as it was from downs, but I am objective about the game.  He was DOWN with possession closer to the goal line, and THAT affords an opportunity for greater pressure on the 49ers offense to avoid the Seahawks gaining redemption with a safety...remember I am a 49er fan, but fair is fair...Plus him down and injured but no baloney with the call makes it, fans perspective, a more "heroic" injury, one with no bad after taste for either team.  But please, STOP STRIPPING THE BALL and just tackle...

Peanut Tillman has made that into an art form.

I agree with Rick with the bad officiating and agree that it's about time a fumble is the result of good tackling - not some gorilla stripping the ball.  This crap along with all the you can't hurt me penalties is making football difficult to watch.  And while I'm at it, John Calipari is ruining college basketball.  Not for the one-and-done stuff, but for turning the game into a half-assed version of the NBA.  Teams are copying Kentucky's model in an attempt to improve recruiting, but just like in the NBA coaching is falling by the wayside and plain no fun to watch.

Bill S wrote:
Rocket wrote:
RickB wrote:

Plus a gazillion Rocket!
Rick

It is too easy to accomplish to be proud of or call an art form...especially when a team mate is just as likely the one impeding initial forward progress by slamming protected and unprotected muscle and bone against the attackers, and the whistle just "hasn't blown" just yet, so the cowardly lion strikes, often like taking candy from a baby  There's essentially only 2 moves, that one, and the sledgehammering fist to the ball or carrier's arm(s).  Make it interesting, let offensive backs and receivers grown long nails.  Why not? All else except any head rocking (? every player, every play-since............remember the "bell-ringer"?!) has come to get the old school Raiders squeal of delightful approval as "legal"  football...hockey players would surely approve of that tact for a receiver to "always" be able to make their cuts...so to speak...

I got nothing against Da Bears, I'd just take a guy who can do something really talented, like run a kickoff or punt back for a touchdown, any Sunday of the weak.

Rocket

Yea, I'm with ya on that!

Bill S wrote:
diamondback wrote:

You should start watching NHL hockey if you want to see sportsmanship, good hard play and little or no showboating. It's why I've grown to love hockey more than any other sport. It isa TRUE team game. Yes, there are the occasional fisticuffs and the less occasional embarrassments (Recent Calgary/Vancouver game where the Hanson Brothers showed up), but those are aberrations.

Rocket wrote:
Bill S wrote:
Rocket wrote:

It is too easy to accomplish to be proud of or call an art form...especially when a team mate is just as likely the one impeding initial forward progress by slamming protected and unprotected muscle and bone against the attackers, and the whistle just "hasn't blown" just yet, so the cowardly lion strikes, often like taking candy from a baby  There's essentially only 2 moves, that one, and the sledgehammering fist to the ball or carrier's arm(s).  Make it interesting, let offensive backs and receivers grown long nails.  Why not? All else except any head rocking (? every player, every play-since............remember the "bell-ringer"?!) has come to get the old school Raiders squeal of delightful approval as "legal"  football...hockey players would surely approve of that tact for a receiver to "always" be able to make their cuts...so to speak...

I got nothing against Da Bears, I'd just take a guy who can do something really talented, like run a kickoff or punt back for a touchdown, any Sunday of the weak.

Rocket

Tillman is much more than a guy who is the best out there at stripping the ball. In fact, he has generally recognized as one of the best corners in the league and has been for some time (not the best evidently, since we were told who the best is on Sunday). I view the ball strip the same way I view the interception...an exciting momentum swing and an integral part of the game.
Perhaps the ball carriers should take better care of the rock.

Rocket wrote:
diamondback wrote:

I know this...you cannot go mouthin' off like that in prison!  Well, you could, but........

It is beyond a disappointment when you invidiously downgrade and disparage your own team mate(s) who happen to play the same position by declaring yourself the best.  What a @#$%^^&# maroon! roll Doesn't matter even if everyone in the locker room believes it, not nice "team" representation to publicly be so indiscriminately blatant a bozo... yikes  Send that buffoon to minor league pro wrestling circuit A.S.A.P.  Is THAT where NFL football is now? neutral Seems it often... mad Wish they would stop impinging on the sanctity of pro wrestling with these antics! tongue

Bad enough the Bowman injury and incorrect field call for possession, and yes, that was THE game changer...but if anyone needs proof the NFL needs to address many practical game adjustments, including just EXACTLY what is possession and the concise definition of fumble and "Down" in regards to recovery...and that damnable "review process," there it was! It is granted one has an even greater possibility of even greater injury in playoff football than prior games, but to have a double whammy of the obviously bad call adding insult to injury... hmm

Notice that both teams "progressing" on both have legalized recreation cannabis use as their respective state laws allow...on to the Stupor Bowl! lol A flying flaming Hindenberg sized joint will be landing at halftime...which will be extended by an extra 30 minutes to clear the concession lines completely... tongue

Rocket

Rocket, Rocket, Rocket...I agree that was a bad call on the fumble, but it had absolutely no impact on the game. Seattle fumbled on the very next play giving SF the ball on the 15 yard line, instead of at the 1 yard line where it would have been on the previous play. With the exception of the injury to Bowman, that bad call ultimately worked to the 49er's advantage :-)

Stu Craig wrote:
Rocket wrote:
diamondback wrote:

Rocket

Rocket, Rocket, Rocket...I agree that was a bad call on the fumble, but it had absolutely no impact on the game. Seattle fumbled on the very next play giving SF the ball on the 15 yard line, instead of at the 1 yard line where it would have been on the previous play. With the exception of the injury to Bowman, that bad call ultimately worked to the 49er's advantage :-)

Yeah, I knew all along it didn't impact the game by itself when fumble 2 occurred as some kind of cosmic mea culpa.  Officiating had already impacted the game, moreso than the 12th man (at that point).  But to CLEARLY have possesssion yet lose not only the call AND a star player, but having to suffer further denial of challenge, which is in place to falsely protect offiiciating "integrity" when the real reason is at least a 50-50 chance the wrong call is made and don't want to broadcast THAT. roll  Seahawks won the game outright, no questioning outcome or bemoaning it would've been different under most any circumstances.  Being the dirtiest team, BY FAR, in the NFL, they did nothing to change the status, although they were definitely playing their cleanest game of the year.  Good Luck to the Seahawks, I am pulling for NFC West as the best division still, but I think they better win or else the whole young QB approach is up for debate.  The better team will win, but we all know guys like Peyton Manning can be a one man team at times when he is unstopppable, which is usually.  Points or punt, what do you usually see with Denver...........I don't like Denver this year.  Seahawks by 12.

Bill, I am always an advocate of you will lose the football if you don't protect it like Ft. Knox.  HOWEVER, stipping the ball, especially in these "modern" (they are not, have always been part of football) scrums, where resorting to tactics resembling street gangs' violence pretty much tells you the mindset of some of these so-called world-class athletes.  It's time for the union to step in and do some blasted training on SPORTSMANSHIP and SAFETY!  Shape 'em up or ship 'em back to the streets where they can live the street to prison life by rightfully yearning it instead of being glad-handed multi-millions to be a hired thug for someone whose business practices are probably suspect themselves somewhere along the lines.  The game is smelling real bad these days!  A lot of the fans also.  Rant paused...Tillman is a fantastic player, just the stripping aspect is boring and lame conversation fodder for me.  I'd rather see arms around the back of the legs, helmet drivng to the midsection and the opposing physical forces resulting in a lot of noises and a defender's stick tackle forcing a fumble.  To pull it baby delivery gently away while some 300#+ goon has the guy's facemask heading backwards whether holding it or not as another player purposely  digs cleats into the guys foot is just ugly wrong.  Players today have been taught to cheat and also to move playground tactics to an "art form." roll Please, it is not.  And if anyones considers today's brand of football clean, then let's move forward with the long nails, and allow biting, scratching, hair pulling, facemasks, holding allowed for EVERYONE, tackling before pass gets there, pushing at all times in the secondary, jersey grabbing, late hits to include kicking and stepping on down players...think of the FUN!

I feel better now.  Maybe I WILL change habits and watch figure skating (oh the humanity! What have I said?!) instead... tongue

Rock the whatever, lol
Rocket

Haha...Rocket! Biting, scratching, hair pulling? Now you're describing "old school" football. I've heard stories of Butkus biting fingers in the pile if they got too close to his face mask. Those were some downright low and dirty days and tough men. Not suggesting we go back there.
Lots of current players I have little or no respect for, but Tillman ain't one of 'em.
Richard Sherman however HAS been added to my list of egotistical, no sportsmanship buffoons.

1,598 (edited by Rocket 2014-01-22 07:49:18)

Bill S wrote:

Haha...Rocket! Biting, scratching, hair pulling? Now you're describing "old school" football. I've heard stories of Butkus biting fingers in the pile if they got too close to his face mask. Those were some downright low and dirty days and tough men. Not suggesting we go back there.
Lots of current players I have little or no respect for, but Tillman ain't one of 'em.
Richard Sherman however HAS been added to my list of egotistical, no sportsmanship buffoons.

I love Tillman as a player Bill, LOVE to have him on my team.  He just wouldn't be stripping balls.  He'd show he has them EVERY play when I, as owner, offered him a $250,000 instant bonus buy every fumble he caused by tackling somebody open field.  I bet he'd be an even more daunting an opponent...might even get to the point where super slow motion shows some sad sack gettin' the old potato sack tackle from Tillman and actually fumbling the ball when he closed his eyes EVEN BEFORE GETTING HIT.  That's my kind of respected football player, both he and sad sack! lol

I do confess I love seeing Jim Harbaugh blow a gasket in a (every) game!  Got to respect somebody willing to commit frighteningly frantic foolish follies for public consumption, done with zero regret, too! lol  Much better than an omnipresent scowl of a Bill Belichick...

And biting...NOW we're talking exactly what football needs to do.  Remove that facemask and allow biting at all times!  Hockey players losing teeth? HAH! Try losing a nose on (replacement) for size.  I can hear Mike Tyson half-heartedly cheering as a color commentator, in his high-pitch voice saying "I like the biting, Tom, but they shoen't be doin' dthat, biting nose pieces off!" "Draw a li'l blood out, sewer, but you gots to go crazy doin' dthat shtuff!" "I know, you know?!"  "Yes sir, I do!" tongue lol

Rocket

Rocket wrote:
Bill S wrote:

I love Tillman as a player Bill, LOVE to have him on my team.  He just wouldn't be stripping balls.  He'd show he has them EVERY play when I, as owner, offered him a $250,000 instant bonus buy every fumble he caused by tackling somebody open field.  I bet he'd be an even more daunting an opponent...might even get to the point where super slow motion shows some sad sack gettin' the old potato sack tackle from Tillman and actually fumbling the ball when he closed his eyes EVEN BEFORE GETTING HIT.  That's my kind of respected football player, both he and sad sack! lol

I do confess I love seeing Jim Harbaugh blow a gasket in a (every) game!  Got to respect somebody willing to commit frighteningly frantic foolish follies for public consumption, done with zero regret, too! lol  Much better than an omnipresent scowl of a Bill Belichick...

And biting...NOW we're talking exactly what football needs to do.  Remove that facemask and allow biting at all times!  Hockey players losing teeth? HAH! Try losing a nose on (replacement) for size.  I can hear Mike Tyson half-heartedly cheering as a color commentator, in his high-pitch voice saying "I like the biting, Tom, but they shoen't be doin' dthat, biting nose pieces off!" "Draw a li'l blood out, sewer, but you gots to go crazy doin' dthat shtuff!" "I know, you know?!"  "Yes sir, I do!" tongue lol

Rocket

Harbaugh learned how to blow a gasket from the master, the king of all blown gaskets....Mike Ditka! Harbaugh was the recipient of Ditka's ire on more than one occasion.
I've always been a Harbaugh fan...at least since his early days with da Bears.

Any pickers out there?
Manning is a master. Broncs by 10.
Side note: A pal of mine is a retired Raider LB from the great years. His opinion of Sherman? He should watch his blindside since disrespect is an invitation to a lesson in manners.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Rick, I have no horse in the race and honestly don't care who wins.
My gut tells me that good defense usually beats good offense. I'll say Seahawks by 4.

Side note: The problem with guys like Sherman, is that they are not unusual anymore in professional sports. I've always been drawn to athletes that work hard, play fair, show sportsmanship and, most of all, don't feel compelled to let everyone know how great they are. If you're really good at something, people will know without you telling them. I'll take a team of guys like Manning, Walter Payton, Barry Sander, jerry Rice, etc. over the blowhards any day of the week.

1,602 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2014-02-03 00:27:05)

RickB wrote:

Any pickers out there?
Manning is a master. Broncs by 10.
Side note: A pal of mine is a retired Raider LB from the great years. His opinion of Sherman? He should watch his blindside since disrespect is an invitation to a lesson in manners.
Rick

I am a Raider fan, that strikes me funny coming from a Raider. Some Raiders weren't exactly known for their manners, more meat and potatoes type of players.   Football players know how to take care of their own and they know what goes on in football. 

I don't see what Richard Sheman doing something all that bad in regards to all the other stuff that other people do in sports or life.  He made a comment, he also learned from it.  Plus Crabtree has a big mouth of his own. So does Kaepernick and Harbaugh.  It's okay when Colin kisses his muscles, or Harbaugh gets over-intensified like Sherman.

Crabtree and Sherman was going at it on the field. These two have a rivalry.  Richard Sherman is one of the best, he made a fantastic play.  He is not the best because of his comments, he is the best because of his hard work and his smart reads.  They interviewed him in the heat of the moment. Sherman is a trash-talker, but he also gives credit to his team.  He talks about how it is a team sport and how valuable his teammates are and his defensive line is.  And with him saying he is the best, I'm sure the rest of the Defensive Backs and Receivers can't wait to show him how great they are.

I have seen Manning blow up at his players on the sidelines.  You know why? Because he is competitive and this is a very intense sport.  Oh and one of the whiniest players in football is Brady.  He wants a flag tossed for any little thing someone does.  So they each have their way of handling things because it is highly competitive. 

He didn't make a dirty play.  Do most of you football fans want to deny what gets said in the locker room?  Or on the field of a football game? Just look at the New Orleans scandal. People seem to be more outraged at this comment, then what happened at New Orleans. I guess because that wasn't broadcast on TV.  You have different football players with different personalities, not all people are what we would like them to be.  All he did was say to the public what he says to Crabtree on the field.  He also apologized for it.  It doesn't even really matter, because he has Denver to go against and will have to play against a great team.  Most of the football players in the the NFL are great in what they have had to accomplish in their lives to get there.  So I look at them as working hard just to get to the NFL. 

What matters is how you play, not what you say.  The way you play on the field is what is going to get it done, no amount of talking is gonna score that touchdown.

Winning isn't everything, but most players would give up their individual accolades to win a SuperBowl.  I am sure Sherman would toss that remark out for a Ring.

Good Luck to both teams, they are 2 incredible teams.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol