Re: The NFL - National Football League

Rocket wrote:
Shredit wrote:

Bill Belichek is getting his arse reamed on the radio here in SacTown.....I would have punted the ball and made Peyton Manning drive 80 yards to beat me....I love to second guess a coach, thats why were fans I guess

49er football baby smile

"Making" Peyton Manning drive 80 yards to beat you is like tossing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch because he's begging you not to as he's stuck in a tar baby sitsheation...

-I see genius why he went with he call but one has to analyze it with a WINNING FOOTBALL coach mind.  Bill Walsh might've been watching and said to Lombardi "this isn't going to turn out the way he expects"...But Bill might've made the call to go for it himself.  To call him arrogant? Evil ? Funny, but PLEASE! My kind of football.

Rocket

Guess I've got to agree with Shreddy on this one. True, Manning can do what a lot of quarterbacks can't, but even giving him a chance to take over the ball on your own 28 with 2 minutes to go was just plain dumb, especially when your team had led the whole way. Best to punt the ball and play defense. After all, you know he's going to throw it in that situation, so have your defensive linemen pin their ears back and set him on his backside. JMHO

Roy

Joe is the Best!

56 (edited by Rocket 2009-11-18 01:13:59)

BluesMan wrote:
Rocket wrote:
Shredit wrote:

Bill Belichek is getting his arse reamed on the radio here in SacTown.....I would have punted the ball and made Peyton Manning drive 80 yards to beat me....I love to second guess a coach, thats why were fans I guess

49er football baby smile

"Making" Peyton Manning drive 80 yards to beat you is like tossing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch because he's begging you not to as he's stuck in a tar baby sitsheation...

-I see genius why he went with he call but one has to analyze it with a WINNING FOOTBALL coach mind.  Bill Walsh might've been watching and said to Lombardi "this isn't going to turn out the way he expects"...But Bill might've made the call to go for it himself.  To call him arrogant? Evil ? Funny, but PLEASE! My kind of football.

Rocket

Guess I've got to agree with Shreddy on this one. True, Manning can do what a lot of quarterbacks can't, but even giving him a chance to take over the ball on your own 28 with 2 minutes to go was just plain dumb, especially when your team had led the whole way. Best to punt the ball and play defense. After all, you know he's going to throw it in that situation, so have your defensive linemen pin their ears back and set him on his backside. JMHO

Roy

Not plain dumb in my dumb dumble opinion.  Zero doubt that the Colts would  score a TD.  From 80 yards out or 28 yards out.  Which takes better clock management ?  The shorter drive!! When one is behind, the impetus is to score A.S.A.P.   Rest assured Brady and comPatriots could've scored easily also.  And all they would have needed??? A field goal, even if Indy went for 2 successfully.  The DUMB tactic was burning the timeouts earlier.  That was either forgotten or ignored (that deserves derision and scrutiny even further).  Don't forget the fact of Indy's timing of IT'S timeouts, which turn out as brilliant  strategy.  But that also figured in the decision to go for it.  There was NO discussion that the Pats would go for it on 4th & 1.  The assumption was stop 'em short, they will punt, we strike fast, but not too fast.  Think hard about this one.
IF it would've worked-and remember how bleeping close it was, tell me that's not winning attitude and genius...

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
BluesMan wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

Roy

Not plain dumb in my dumb dumble opinion.  Zero doubt that the Colts would  score a TD.  From 80 yards out or 28 yards out.  Which takes better clock management ?  The shorter drive!! When one is behind, the impetus is to score A.S.A.P.   Rest assured Brady and comPatriots could've scored easily also.  And all they would have needed??? A field goal, even if Indy went for 2 successfully.  The DUMB tactic was burning the timeouts earlier.  That was either forgotten or ignored (that deserves derision and scrutiny even further).  Don't forget the fact of Indy's timing of IT'S timeouts, which turn out as brilliant  strategy.  But that also figured in the decision to go for it.  There was NO discussion that the Pats would go for it on 4th & 1.  The assumption was stop 'em short, they will punt, we strike fast, but not too fast.  Think hard about this one.
IF it would've worked-and remember how bleeping close it was, tell me that's not winning attitude and genius...

Rock On & Keep the Faith,

Rocket

Let's say who the real Genius is of all this:  Peyton Manning, Yeah Baby.

He got inside Bill"spygate, arrogent, run up the score" Belichek's head and took it in for a 28 yard, not 80 yard touchdown!  He spotted Manning 52 yards and Manning didn't even have to make a pass. 

The whole thing is it didn't work.  If another coach would have tried that, everybody would say what a dumb decision it was for any other coach to do that. 

He took a big risk and lost.  He took that big risk because he was scared of what Peyton could do(and he's arrogent) and it played right into Peyton's hands.  Like handing candy to a baby. 

But they will meet again and it will be interesting to see what he will do then.  It's a great rivalry.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Speaking of coaches making the wrong move, McDaniels' pregame taunt of the Charger bench of "we own you" had to rate right up there. Nothing like firing up the opposition. 32-3 is some kind of ownage.  Rick.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Refering to the run up the score quote. Never understood that side of American Sports. I follow them a lot and have never got to grips with not running up the score. If the other team doesnt like it, stop it IMO. I want my guys playing hard every game every minute whether the game is won or not.

I love how he coaches a game, agressive from the get go, too many times teams punt the ball away instead of going for it. It didnt work this game, but I cant remember how many I seen or heard about where he goes for it on 4th and it has worked.

Colts are living on borrowed time, Ravens gifted them the game this week, chip shot missed that would have won the game, then Ried loses his mind at the end of the game with a lateral to the Colts! Colts did everything they could to lose the game, but Ravens couldnt get into the end zone and the bone head miss cost them.

THe season is shaping up nicely for some good playoffs, cant wait for January!!!

tewker

Tewker, I never understood that either. I think it may be more related to the betting "spread" or the "over/under" numbers than either form or custom. I agree that a big lead is a good thing. Having been a long time Chargers fan, no lead is safe here. A couple of mistakes and turnovers can make a 21 point lead vaporize. Especially hated is the prevent defense as they call it. Here, it more often leads to prevention of a win.
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Speaking of "bonehead" plays, did anybody see the ending of the LSU/Ole Miss game Sat.? I know this is a NFL thread, but LSU completed a pass close enough for a chip shot field goal with :01 left on the clock and out of time outs. The refs stopped the clock to move the chains, but instead of running the field goal unit out the offense lined up and spiked the ball to end the game. Les Miles...........genius?

Buckeyes and Roses New Years Day,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Sorry Sandy, but.............

GO RAVENS!!!!! cool

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

There are a number of very happy households in Maryland right now! lol cool

And one in Amsterdam! big_smile

RIP Iron Man

64 (edited by samjp4 2010-01-10 22:23:07)

It is what it is - I am actually surprised they made it this far, BUT, that first quarter was painful!  It ain't over yet!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Darn, we were hoping to get them here in Chargerland. Rick

How about them Cowboys!!! Haha! Now they get the Vikings. Tough matchup. But I can hope!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:

How about them Cowboys!!! Haha! Now they get the Vikings. Tough matchup. But I can hope!

Yeah Deezer, but the Vikings haven't played too great at the end of the regular season, in fact they lost to the Bears for God's sake, so they can't be that good, lol!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Yeah, but I always respect Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Ok, it's over.  Have to let some other teams win once in a while wink !

Congratulations to all you Ravens fans.  (Can I be evil and ask when you are playing the Colts?)

Truly, congrats - you guys way outplayed us!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.

J-E-T-S

JETS-JETS-JETS

SWEETNESS!!!!!

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

samjp4 wrote:

Congratulations to all you Ravens fans.  (Can I be evil and ask when you are playing the Colts?)

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy. It was fun today. big_smile

I anticipate rather less fun next Saturday at 8:15 ET when the four-time MVP will, no doubt, perform the annual ritual slaughter. The Ravens have a particularly poor record in Indy. roll

On the other hand, the Pats hadn't lost a home playoff game in over 30 years, so who knows......

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:
samjp4 wrote:

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy. It was fun today. big_smile

I anticipate rather less fun next Saturday at 8:15 ET when the four-time MVP will, no doubt, perform the annual ritual slaughter. The Ravens have a particularly poor record in Indy. roll

On the other hand, the Pats hadn't lost a home playoff game in over 30 years, so who knows......

I'll be rooting for you guys when you play Indy!  Probably a few other Pats fans as well - the Patriots really didn't deserve to win today, so I don't think too many would be upset if the Ravens kick some you know what against the Colts and a certain quarterback!

Sandy