Re: Ultimate blues-rock amp?

I didn't know you were having someone build you a clone.  Sweet! wink  In that case, and especially if you are traditional, a Fender clone would suit you well.  How do you feel about tweed Fenders?  I love me some good Blackface, but I've always wanted to capture the tone that Clapton got on his "From the Cradle" album.  I think he used some small Tweeds for most of that album.  IMO that is the best sounding traditional blues tone I've heard yet.  If you are looking between 20-40 watts that leaves you with the Fender Deluxe (tweed or blackface), Vibrolux, Vibroverb, Bandmaster, Blacface Bassman head, Super Reverb (45 watts, close enough),etc.  What would be cool, because a lot of people use the vibrato channel only, would be to convert the Normal channel for another voicing.  For example, since your buddy is familiar enough with Fenders maybe he could voice the Normal side for a Tweed Deluxe, and the Vibrato for the Blackface Deluxe Reverb.  Then you could just use an A-B pedal to switch between them.  Anyways, good luck with your amp!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Hey guys check out this amp and let me know what you think..I may be leaning towards it...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HRDlxBluesLTD/

also, anyone experienced with the JTM 30's?

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Okay, you gotta lota choices! Sweet!

There are a lot of choices, but I'll just mention 3.

1. Twinmaster. This is a Budda Amp, that is no longer made. 18 Watts. Very loud for 18 Watts, though. Easily hangs in a Club.
    Sparkilng, upfront cleans. Kinda Vox AC 30 like.
    Rude, aggressive OD tones. Kinda like a baby Plexi.
    Very unique and present tones, that sit extremely well in a mix.
    Very Touch-Responsive, takes pedals extremely well, and thumps a lot more than you would think for an 18 Watt, EL-84 Amp.
    Great sounding Amp! Also, it has a unique character to it. Sounds incredible next to Fenders and Marshalls, etc. Stands out for it's "own voice".
    Easily found used, for under $1k.
    Usually still in excellent shape, as most are/were used in Studios.
    HIGHLY recommended. Desert Island Amp.
    big_smile

2. Carmen Ghia. Dr. Z Amp. Also about 18 to 20 LOUD Watts.
    Thick and Meaty Tones.
    Another Touch-Responsive Amp. Also takes pedals well..
    The single Tone Control is extremely versatile. Does more than a normal "Tone Control". 
    If you haven't played a Z, you should give them a try. Maz 18 NR or MAZ 38 are also contenders here.

3. Deluxe Reverb. Fender (Boutique would be better, if you can't find a BF or SF. Not the RI.).
    Maybe $700.00 for a SF? May need overhaul. But, still under $1k.
    "The" Small-Club Amp. Paid it's dues, and is a CLASSIC for a reason.

So, these are options that I currently use, myself. My DR is a Clone. So is my Carmen Ghia. Both are stellar amps. My Twinmaster is a go-to Amp. If I need to make sure and turn heads, I grab the Twinmaster. It always gets a response!

I carry a Shure Mic and a Mic Cable, for mic'ing when appropriate.

I mention these, as the Tweed Bassman is so well known that I didn't think it needed mentioning. And most Marshalls are either too loud, or just plain too expensive.
    Plus, everybody and their Brother uses those. The Budda and the Z are (IMO) Modern Classics. Sure, there are a lot of choices out there. But, these 2 Amps will just grow in value and stature, I feel.
    And they both have unique, top-notch Voices.

So, that's what I would recommend. In fact, I use all 3. So, I hope this helps.

Whatever you get, be sure to try and play a Twinmaster and some Z Amps. Everybody needs to, at some point.

Ciao for now.............

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

LesPaul4 wrote:

Hey guys check out this amp and let me know what you think..I may be leaning towards it...

I have a JTM30.  Its a great amp.  They tend to get a little hot, but for a good price its worth it.  Good cleans and a nice overdrive.  Likes TS808's and has a great fx loop.  The reverb is ok.  I never use it.  Its 30 watts, but its not as loud as some other 30 watt amps I've played.

Ben

LesPaul4 wrote:

That's my amp... I love it. You cannot go wrong with this amp

#275 JB LP

I played a Marshall 1974x yesterday at a guitar shop to try it out, I've actually fallen in love sad but its damn expensive its probably one of the finest amps I've had the plesure of messing around on and its up for serious thought about buying atm :X

25 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-07-13 13:05:27)

That's why Nik and Ceriatone exists cool .

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

JohnTB wrote:

I played a Marshall 1974x yesterday at a guitar shop to try it out, I've actually fallen in love sad but its damn expensive its probably one of the finest amps I've had the plesure of messing around on and its up for serious thought about buying atm :X

I've got the Ceriatone 18 / 36 watt all tube amp.  Lots less expensive than the 1974X.  It has the Marshallish side (main channel) then a tmb channel which is closer to a VOX tone.  You can also jump the channels together to combine.  Half power switch in the back so you can truely get the Marshall crunch at bedroom volumes.  But, it can get very loud!!!

All for right around $ 1,000 USD.

Ahh unfortunately thats the down side of living in the uk, after imort charges etc it will work out roughly the same sad

Ahh the import charges...that sucks but hey, you guys do get Marshalls cheaper than us guys in the States.  Yes the 1974x is a wicked cool combo but at $2k + over here there are a few other amps I'd rather have.  Good luck resisting the GAS attack wink .  I'm still suffering my Trainwreck build GAS attack... sad

Marshall Vintage Modern are nice too, but only the low dynamic range..takes pedals very well..very touch-responsive..sounds good with lespaul or strat..

Yes the Vintage Modern is nice, admittedly not a 1974x though.  Totally different amps.  I keep hearing everyone rave about the low dynamic range on those amps...I dunno call me a black sheep but I can't get enough gain out of it without rocking the walls.  I actually prefer the High dynamic when properly EQ'd and set to a moderate amount of gain.  The dynamics are so good on that amp that I like setting the amp for an almost lead type tone and just rolling it back for the rhythm/cleaner tones.  Pretty cool amps though and definately a step in the right direction for Marshall.

Just to say some things about ulimate blues rock amp smile:) The guy that makes amps here in Serbia, (the one that I wanted to make me an amp) ... just made an amp that I think will do the thing best way possible....he made a head, with two channels: normal is a replica of bassman, and a bright one is replica of plexi marshall....he also added a switch for a solidstate rectifier and a tube rectifier....He gave an amp name CRUNCHMAN! It's beutifull head...GOd i Fell in love....It is 50watts (45 with tube rectifier)...but it also has a pentode/triode switch....I think I know what I', going for.....;)

32 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2009-07-14 19:23:20)

Joe once said " Pound for pound the best amp for under $500 The Lab Series L5"

B.B. King, Ronnie Montrose & Joe Bonamassa can't be wrong. See if your guy can build you one. 

You can find the schematics here. http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/LabSeriesL5.htm

BB KING Best Solo Guitar King of Blues w/ Lab Series L5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpRIYi72 … re=related

03 Stormy monday Live in Bonn B.B. King w/Lab Series L5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_GNIvs0 … re=related

Take care
Bill

Well I took the plunge and bought a 1974x such a smooth amp, I'm finally happy with my 335 and les paul now they just seem like totally different animals through it !! none of the shrill high end / overly bassy problems I kept getting using a blues deluxe.
Its like I can just swap Strat to Lpaul and not have to fiddle with tone controls because they both sound how I want them. And I'm so happy I can finally play with the 335 its been annoying me for ages I could never get it to sound right through any amps I tried before. I offered him £1000 in cash for it which was £250 off the shelf price, thankfully he took it and then offered me a free full guitar service next time I'm in the area  smile

Congrats on a nice pickup man! cool