Re: The Football Topic

Agreed. The US is continuing the prosecution of the kingpins in football crime. One of the CONCACAF principles just plead guilty to bribery yesterday in the Brazil games. More will be joining him in prison.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

A month on from the last flurry of updates and so much has happened. Amazing comebacks, controversial decisions, suspensions, upsets and a dream season continues.

The EPL has crystallized down to a 2 horse race and after Spurs draw on Monday night with West Brom, Leicester's 7 point lead with 3 games to play looks almost unassailable. Mathematically Spurs can still do it but the odds are firmly against them. Even superstar Tom Hanks says he had 100 quid on Leicester at the start of the season. At least he has some cheer, him being an Aston Villa fan with the club being sadly relegated after an appalling season.

I guess if you had told Spurs fans after their first match loss this season - "would you take 2nd place, Champions League qualification and finishing above Arsenal - NOW?" - they would have snatched your hand off, but it is hard being so close to the title after 60 years.

Normally, everybody would have been pulling for Spurs as it would be a change to the title winning order, but this year is something else. The most incredible team story in modern sporting history. 14 months ago bottom of the EPL and seemingly about to be relegated and then a Damascian turn-around. EPL status secured with an unbroken string of victories and the carrying over that form into the new season. There is no doubt the trials of last season have formed the amazing team ethic and spirit that is the foundation of this season's champions-elect. Every non-Spurs fan is willing Leicester to win. It gives hope to every 'also ran' that there will ever be in sport. Normally hard work and dedication isn't enough, but sometimes, just sometimes it is.

Hollywood want to make a film of it and no doubt Prince could have written a killer song about it.

Just 3 games to go. Leicester can win it on Saturday if they again confound opinion and beat Manchester United away from home. Overall just 3 points from the 3 games will do it and then we have proof of what we always really knew already..........fairytales can and do come true. Belief and hard work is, occasionally, enough.

Thank goodness

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Nice post Mike. i've been watching the run over here on my cable channel which has been showing the EPL. Love watching a dark horse run to the finish. The stuff of dreams for the fans indeed.
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I too think Leicester won't get the win on Saturday, but I wouldn't bet against them to get the draw. I think Europa League is the best United can hope for Euro wise that is. Future isn't so dark though for them. They have the talent...it is just about getting that talent to perform week in week out. Is LVG the man? I actually think so, but he won't get the chance. Instant results demands Mourinho doesn't it?

I'm not a Liverpool fan by any means. But I am a Klopp fan and whilst last night was a disappointment I still beleive he, and his players can make the final. I would love Klopp to win the thing as that will put paid to both Arsenal's and United CL hopes!

Seriously though, I'm having 100 quid on Liverpool to win the title next year. I think Klopp has a squad of massive potential. His 'Gang-mentality' with the players will emulate Leicester's work ethic next year. Next year is going to be hugely competitive. It will either tight right down to 8th place or Guardirola will wrap the thing up with City in March.....hope not though!

I am a Spurs fan and I am happy for Leicester! smile The game really needed this if only to show the likes of Man City and Chelsea who think that you can buy in teams rather than develop great players how wrong they are!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Very generous of you Ian!
But I think your own Spurs have shown the best way forward of all. The youth development of players that are now featuring in the first team.
Youngest side in the league, most goals scored, least conceded.....all brilliant statistics and proving the very ethos of a manager who absolutely BELIEVES how important that is.
Spurs have demonstrated a blueprint for the future of not just club football but how it can positively impact on the national UK sides.

Develop 'home grown' talent and supplement it with experience and foreign nationals.

There is no doubt in my mind that Tottenham have been the best footballing side in the EPL this year. In any other years Spurs winning the title would also have been the 'Breath of fresh air' the league needed whilst breaking the dominance of the 'big spenders'. How typically English that this year Leicester write an even more extreme slice of history!

Their draw at Manchester United on Saturday epitomised their season. Unafraid of facing down the 'big' teams away from home. Every player giving 110% and fighting for a common cause.

Both Tottenham and Leicester would be worthy champions...no question...but Leicester's fairytale needs to be realised. Big money doesn't always win and Leicester's blueprint for success means that every other club in the league will believe it is possible.

Look out the big money boys...........life is going to get even tougher from here on in!

I guess that I might be the only Leicester City supporter on the forum.

I've been a Leicester fan for the last 30 years and can't believe that they MIGHT win the title. I say MIGHT, as being a Leicester supporter there have been plenty of low's and not that many  high's during the past 30 years.

I'm hoping that Chelsea help us out tonight by beating Spurs so we don't have the added pressure of beating Everton on Saturday.

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery

Relayer wrote:

I guess that I might be the only Leicester City supporter on the forum.

I've been a Leicester fan for the last 30 years and can't believe that they MIGHT win the title. I say MIGHT, as being a Leicester supporter there have been plenty of low's and not that many  high's during the past 30 years.

I'm hoping that Chelsea help us out tonight by beating Spurs so we don't have the added pressure of beating Everton on Saturday.

I am keeping everything crossed for you tonight. If you can do it after 30yrs maybe myself and the one other Sheffield United supporter that I know of on the forum, has some hope for the future ( and I've been waiting 61yrs for that to happen). Good luck Leicester and you do deserve it. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

They have done it!

Leicester City are EPL Champions!

Chelsea have come back from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 in what seems a bad tempered match. Chelsea said from the outset they didn't want Spurs to win and they have succeeded. But it takes nothing away from one of the most amazing team sport stories in modern history.

There isn't really a comparison to make for our American friends other than perhaps a minor league baseball team being allowed to play a season in the majors and walking off with the world series. It is that incredible.

Well done the Foxes!

Well done to the dark horse.
Rick

I'll add a footnote. Bookies across the planet took a huge bath. One spokesman for a large outfit called it a "Black Swan" event. The 5000-1 odds were taken by quite a few. The betting agencies even tried buying back the bets at large returns a few weeks ago but very few takers. Some of the offshore betting houses were exposed to the point they may go under. I imagine there are a few very joyful punters these days if they can collect.
Rick

Leicester.  - a massive victory for the game of football itself. When coaching the kids team the single most difficult thing to teach them was team work, - covering each other, not blaming a mistake but covering it instead, - not sure that I ever managed it because I was fighting against a culture of it all being about the big signing, - the goal scorer, the individual. What was needed was a passion to win every ball, to close down, - to stop your opponents playing their game as much as everybody dashing forward to score a goal...

The celebrity culture of the Premier League has done much to damage the game at youth level in England by paying little attention to the most important fact of the game, - it is a TEAM sport. Leicester without doubt proved that a team working together can win.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

hansamike wrote:

They have done it!

Chelsea have come back from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 in what seems a bad tempered match. Chelsea said from the outset they didn't want Spurs to win and they have succeeded. But it takes nothing away from one of the most amazing team sport stories in modern history.

There isn't really a comparison to make for our American friends other than perhaps a minor league baseball team being allowed to play a season in the majors and walking off with the world series. It is that incredible.

Well done the Foxes!

An apt comparison would be the Miracle on Ice, when a bunch of U.S. amateurs/collegiate players beat the Soviet Union and won the Olympic gold medal for hockey in 1980.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:
hansamike wrote:

They have done it!

Well done the Foxes!

An apt comparison would be the Miracle on Ice, when a bunch of U.S. amateurs/collegiate players beat the Soviet Union and won the Olympic gold medal for hockey in 1980.

Certainly in terms of an upset I would agree with you Bill. It can't or shouldn't be possible but in a knock out competition it does occasionally. Leicester's triumph is that they have confounded all the odds by maintaining their 'impossible' form over a complete season of 38 matches. Everyone expected them to falter at some point. I know I did!

In sport we talk about the mentality of winning. The losers that allow doubt to creep into the thinking. That moment when the prize is within sight or grasp and the mental frailty allows it to slip away. This Leicester team never allowed the enormity of what they might achieve overwhelm them. There was possibly one moment a couple of weeks ago when they nearly lost at home to my own team West Ham. But a poor refereeing decision allowed them an overtime penalty which they converted to avoid defeat. Instead of that close call causing them to doubt it served as an inspiration and a confirmation that it was 'their' year. There never seemd to be any pressure on them after that 'moment'. The resource and the resolve of winners was all too apparent from then on.

So glad I was around to see it. I recall Manchester City winning the old First Division title back in 1969. They were a great side and even though not my team I never forgot the names of that side. I just checked myself without the aid of Wikipedia and I still can 37 years on! Hopefully there is another 11 year old out there somewhere who will have committed all the names of this Leicester team to memory. It is how legends live on...........

hansamike wrote:

So glad I was around to see it. I recall Manchester City winning the old First Division title back in 1969. They were a great side and even though not my team I never forgot the names of that side. I just checked myself without the aid of Wikipedia and I still can 37 years on! Hopefully there is another 11 year old out there somewhere who will have committed all the names of this Leicester team to memory. It is how legends live on...........

Impressive Mike, well done. I remember that team bit not sure I could name every member. Shame your maths isn't as good, though. wink

Brack wrote:

I'm sure Man Utd fans will be more welcoming the West Ham fans and Team Bus, next time they visit Old Trafford!  KARMA!!

No Brack, that's revenge and an example of why the tribal mentality is rife among football fans. Rise above it and turn the other cheek. Anyway, why don't you support a London club? Are you from the North West or did you just become a fan when United became successful?

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

interesting debate ahead (perhaps)....

I think it somewhat sad to close an old traditional ground like Upton Park, not just because my Grandfather was born nearby, but because it has been a community Club since it started, - the move to the more corporate ground is just not the same. Upton Park was surrounded by houses and flats, - Victorian Villas that the fans grew up in.

It is not dissimilar to seeing Anfield with Goodison Park across the road, - you can tell that football in that City is about so much more than just money! - Seeing the old Maine Road and the housing surrounding it, even White Hart Lane surround by the bustle of the shops and community on the High Road. As opposed to a certain stadium built on an out of town shopping centre site.... wink  Maybe it is progress, but maybe it is also what is bad about the game....being a game now dominated by money, that has little to do with community or development of players...

A few years ago I met an Education Minister from Malaysia at a meeting (in London) and in conversation it came out that he was a football fanatic and desperately wanted to see a game in a ground that would give him an idea of what the game was like years before with an atmosphere to match. I told him to go to Upton Park telling him about the area during the war and how the stadium was damaged. He saw a midweek game on a cold damp evening, - but he wrote to me after, thanking for me for the experience of a lifetime!

On the one hand the attack on the United bus was an appalling act of violence and a gross discourtesy to United and cannot as such be in any way condoned.
On the other, entirely in keeping with West Ham and its 'fans'. Lets not be coy here, the club have a long history of violent fan encounters with virtually every club in the country. Nevertheless, these encounters and incidents have been massively reduced over the years through effective policing and crowd control intelligence. The police have said they had a full plan in place for the control of the crowd inside and outside the ground for before and after the game.

Sadly that plan was compromised by the late arrival of the United team bus. Anyone who knows The Boleyn's layout and approaches in Upton Park, will know that attempting to enter Green Street (from any direction) 90 minutes before kick-off is futile and fraught with danger. Emergency vehicles can part the crowds like Moses and Red buses are tolerated if only because they are bringing fans to the ground. Car drivers are treated with contempt for considering using such a route when logical alternatives are available.

The narrow nature of the footpaths force fans to walk in the road which clearly delays, frustrates and annoys vehicle drivers but they need to maintain their cool. Losing it would bring disastrous consequences.

If you observe the footage from Tuesday, United's bus was arriving shortly before 7pm. The lower end junction of Green Street/Barking Road is totally blocked with fans moving to the ground. The match is 100% sold out with celebrations planned. Forcing the bus through the crowd at this moment was causing a crush with fans being pressed back against buildings and street furniture knowing that a kick off delay could be unlikely. Let us think Hillsborough here. Have we learned nothing? It is no wonder that United's late arrival provoked such ire with the fans. There can be no justification for what followed, but any English football fan will know at least 15% of a West Ham crowd is made up of 'White Van Man' nutters from East London and Essex.

With that knowledge Manchester United should have made much better arrangements to arrive  earlier and saved themselves the hassle. The police need also to re-evaluate their poor reaction to the evolving situation.

It could have been much worse than it was and thankfully no one was hurt. Surprised there have been no arrests though.

As for the ground I am very sad to see us leave. Fantastic place. I grew up an 8 minute walk away from the 'Chicken Run' and from '71-'77 never missed a home game. Had season tickets for many years and I've watched hundreds of games there.

Most enduring memories? 4th Cup Round replay against Hereford United. '72 I think. Miners strike...power cuts...replay played midweek in the afternoon. Bunked off school and got a weeks detention (along with hundreds of other kids). Ground capacity was about 35000 then but they recorded over 43000 on the day. Fans on the roof of the stands, floodlight pylons, pretty much everywhere. Hereford were cheered off the pitch at the nd and we bought Dudley Moore off them afterwards.

Another....after Bobby Moores death Wolves were our first visitors to Upton Park. Their fans placed a gold/black wreath in the centre circle and 1200 of them sang 'Bubbles'. Chokes me just to think of that moment and I still hope to see them in the Premier League again one day.

As for the new stadium and the move......it's time. Accept it and move on. It might be the dawn of a whole new era or just a false dawn. Doesn't matter. If West Ham join the pantheons of the great clubs of Europe then I will bask in thoses 'salad days'. If they don't and those hopes 'fade and die' - it doesn't matter. I'm a Hammer. I don't 'expect' success. I do expect endeavour, industry and playing for the pride of the shirt whether in an Olympic Stadium or on Hackney Marshes.

As for the maths.........at my age I just like to think it was less years is all............

The ultimate 'blame' Brack, lies firmly with the West Ham supporters. I thought I made that at least clear. There is no excusing the behaviour and I don't.

However, as with any minor or major incident involving large crowds lessons need to be learned or at least heeded. The late arrival of the United team, for whatever reason, contributed to compromising the plans in place. I didn't say it was United's bus drivers fault or the fault of their management.

The fact is, it happened, on a night of high emotion, with the largest crowd of the season and many other people whio didn't have tickets and just wanted to 'be there'. A situation was created which then turned ugly.

United did this a couple of weeks ago arriving at Tottenham and it could have led to similar scenes. So do they just underestimate London traffic or try to minimise the time they spend at the ground?

If you present the idiots we have at West Ham with a chance to cause trouble there is always a good chance they will take it. If there was a briefing for United as to when to arrive it would have clearly spelt out the potential problems. You live in London so likely you have visited The Boleyn, in which case you know the confines of the place. Plus it isn't the first time this has happened there. I have personally over the years seen the buses from Everton, Newcastle, Liverpool, Sheffield United trashed by West Ham fans. Nothing to be proud of, but if was part of the mangement set up at United I think, given the importance of the game to both clubs, I would have sought to avoid the possibility of it happening. Maybe it was unavoidable, I don't know.

I think if you are so easily prepared to interpret my comments to arrive at the conclusion you have it is equally contemptible. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Enjoy the cup final. Wembley. Even the new stadium can be hard to get to by road on match day. I recommend the bus get there at least 2 hours beforehand...just in case. Palace fans are a good natured bunch as you will know but it wouldn't do to make a habit of it.