Re: The Football Topic

Barcelona FC was the best, no doubt, but they had a strong rival in front...

Ian916 wrote:
Rocket wrote:

So do they play this futbol in the snow??? That would be really cool

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

all the Premiership games played yesterday, - under pitch heating, - now wonder we have global warming when they are heating the ground!!!

All the amateur stuff gets called off though, - my Under 11 team did not play yesterday sad

Ian

Come on you Spurs!!!

Called off?  Rain, snow, mud, -25 temperatures....Maybe we should just remove the "foot" from our version and add an "s". big_smile 
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

No games called off due to weather in our game! Rain so hard that the men on the bottom of the pile were in danger of drowning. So cold that frostbite was a real danger by the 2nd half. Check the "freezer bowl game" Chargers vs Bengals, Jan. 1982 with -25C and 27mph wind. Wind chill factor of -52C. Rick (BTW, just got back from -22C in Bozi Dar, Czech. in laws breaking in the Cali boy-icicles in my beard)  yikes

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Messi named World Player of Year

(CNN)  -- Barcelona star Lionel Messi was named FIFA World Player of the Year in Zurich on Monday, capping a remarkable 2009 for the Argentina star.

Messi helped his club side Barcelona win a historic treble of Champions League, Spanish League and Spanish Cup and at the weekend scored the winner as the Catalan giants claimed the Club World Cup trophy.

Messi, who claimed the top European honor, the Ballon d'Or, earlier this month, beat off the challenge of last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka of Real Madrid and fellow Barca stars Andres Iniesta and Xavi in the annual poll. (more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/footb … index.html

cool

So pleased about this! Unlike the previous winner, Leo does not appear to be an arrogant *&%# and he totally deserved this award.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

it's all gone quiet about the FA cup results????? Where are you Brack? wink;)

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Ian916 wrote:

it's all gone quiet about the FA cup results????? Where are you Brack? wink;)

He normally updates his signature with the score immediately, but not yesterday. lol

Our result was entirely to be expected since our first striker had to retire, our second striker is injured and our third striker was suspended. roll We didn't do badly in the circumstances, the Arse simply have more quality all round. Anyway, we need to concentrate on the league, as they say.

The game against Wolves will be a biggy for both teams.

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:

The game against Wolves will be a biggy for both teams.

Massive George - trouble is I can see it being a draw which won't really benefit either of us.

Thought your guys did well yesterday, but you could see them visibly tiring after an hour and when Whinger brought Diaby on he made the difference. Reminds me of Viera - the type of player everyone hates but would love in their team.

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

I watched the Arsenal tie on the box with my daughter who is no football fan. But shortly after the second half started she calmly observed that having counted all the passes over a 10 minute period Arsenal averaged 5 completed whilst WHU barely got above 2.

She was bang on in her assessment and the writing was on the wall. I noted the morning after the tie one of the papers actually quoted that Arsenal completed 525 passes in the game to WH 200+ or so. Says it all. Even when they were losing, their overall quality on the ball and with the ball shone through. It was just going to be a matter of time.

I think if Parker had been fit then it might habe been a better performance but from my observations there really wasn't a leader out there for WH. Its a worrying time for sure as with all teams 'down there', the heads can go down so quickly without some inspirational leadership on the field.

Yes, the Wolves game will be another '6 pointer' as will all the games against the bottom 10 or so clubs. I can see this being the tightest relegation battle ever with possibly all 3 places still up for rabs on the last day. If Portsmouth get some short term relief financially, then it could be that none of the bottom clubs fall adrift too much from the pack. No-one, bar the top 6 are probably too good (anymore) to go down.

Did anyone here bring up the 'McCarthy Plan' at MU? I'm sure Brack wouldn't have minded his tactics for that one!. You are a WW fan, so what was the general feeling? For my 2 pence worth MM has my complete support. There are 2 leagues in EPL. A top four, soon to be 6 perhaps, and the rest. McCarthy's job, as with the other managers is to keep the club in the division in order to avoid financial ruin. If the EPL or Wenger doesn't like it then they should change the financial share out, instigate a salary cap for a 5 year period after which 'every' club should be required to prove it can meet the wage bill from its annual income and not the pockets of some billionaire. Oh yeah, as a last point, reintroduce a maximum of 6 foreign (not holding a British passport) players in any side.

I don't care if it hurts Liverpool or Arsenals chance of winning the Champions League. It is about preserving the future of the game in Britain and the prospects of our national teams in world competition.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have put this in the 'rant' section. Been drinking far too much port over Crimbo. Always gets me Jingoism going:lol:

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

We have the same problems over here on the other side of the pond. Revenue allocation has made a few teams with super rich owners dominant in both Baseball and US NFL. It is a rich man's bragging game for the owners and the lucky fans of the teams with the deepest pockets reap the rewards. The capping remedies so far have failed since the rules can be bent with non-cash salary allocations. The NFL has a bit more parity in the top 8 teams since injury has such a wild card effect on the top talent. As in most sports, the teams are carried by a handfull of the best talents with a supporting cast.
I love the FA tournament over there since it brings in teams that would never be able to play at the highest levels and upsets do occur and allow fans to dream of possible success. It sure shows how narrow the margin is between the best and the also-rans at the sub preimiership levels.
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

hansamike wrote:

Did anyone here bring up the 'McCarthy Plan' at MU? I'm sure Brack wouldn't have minded his tactics for that one!. You are a WW fan, so what was the general feeling? For my 2 pence worth MM has my complete support. There are 2 leagues in EPL. A top four, soon to be 6 perhaps, and the rest. McCarthy's job, as with the other managers is to keep the club in the division in order to avoid financial ruin. If the EPL or Wenger doesn't like it then they should change the financial share out, instigate a salary cap for a 5 year period after which 'every' club should be required to prove it can meet the wage bill from its annual income and not the pockets of some billionaire. Oh yeah, as a last point, reintroduce a maximum of 6 foreign (not holding a British passport) players in any side.

Hi Hansamike

There were two distinct camps among supporters on that one, and I can sympathise with both viewpoints.
Strongest emotions ran among the three thosand travelling fans who having paid £40+ for a ticket, plus travel costs, and were expecting a strong Wolves team capable of taking the game to the Reds, who had their own team selection problems. The 3 - 0 turnover by Fulham the following week only served to fuel the flames on that view.
The other view is that the grumblings from the media and a certain Mr Whinger were overblown in suggesting that Wolves had essentially fielded "the reserves" (one report I read even called it our youth team - utter nonsense). The team McCarthy put out included six full internationals, and three Under 21 internationals, and only one of the starting 11 had not previously featured in the Premier League this season. Even he was recalled from loan at a Championship club (so was fit and had regular games under his belt) to replace an injured team-mate. McCarthy's explanation that the team that had beaten Spurs had worked themselves into the ground in protecting an early lead was his justification for resting many of that team, while others had picked up minor injuries. Given the quality and depth that United have he felt that a fresh set of legs might stand a better chance of getting something from the game. He's the manager and knows his players better than any outside commentators. I do wonder how his boss (Chairman Steve Morgan) would have reacted had we not beaten Burnley in the next game.
What really annoyed me about the whole thing was the outright hypocracy shown by certain other managers in their attacks on McCarthy's actions - is it ok for the "big" clubs to do this when they have important games coming up, but not the "lesser" clubs?

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Our game is now off too, Ian. Most of us are quite pleased as that gives us extra time for the walking wounded to heal, though it does mean a boring footie weekend. Still, we can all get behind Birmingham, if that still goes through! tongue

In the meantime, here's a cracker - www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOSVVrj0WZo big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:

Our game is now off too, Ian. Most of us are quite pleased as that gives us extra time for the walking wounded to heal, though it does mean a boring footie weekend. Still, we can all get behind Birmingham, if that still goes through! tongue

In the meantime, here's a cracker - www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOSVVrj0WZo big_smile

lol lol That's good!
Must have been put together by some Arsenal supporters though - where were "The Pires" and "The Bergkamp"?

Sorry to say I can't get behind Birmingham George. They are our local rivals and besides I have a couple of Man U players in my fantasy football team, and points are going to be scarce this week.

Ian

85 (edited by Amsterhammer 2010-01-19 12:46:14)

Hey Mike! It's finally a done deal!

The 'local barrow boys' made good are our new owners. Main points so far - Zola stays (at least for now), investment for players in this window available, talk about moving to the Olympic stadium post 2012 again - press conference at UP within hours.

More later - this is good news as far as I'm concerned since Sullivan and Gold are indeed life-long proper Hammers! cool

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba … nited.html

RIP Iron Man

As a character I liked Fernandes (also a Plaistow boy) but he has a lot on his place with Lotus F1 and an airline to run.

Sulli and Gold have been after WH for 20 years and they tried before buying Birmingham as we know. I'm optimistic. However they make or made their money, they took a clapped out Brum with a clapped out stadium and made them financially stable and a club, at least with a premiership view. They sold it in a good state and now want to do the same with their favoured club. There won't be Abromavich style expenditure, but it will be realistically run. The club does have great potential to be an EPL fixture and should look to occasional cup success.

Its about all we should hope for given the current state of the game. Survival is all important this year, but even if we did go down with Sulli and Gold they have experienced that a couple of times with Brum and they know what to do. They are old hands at this now.

Well George, now we know the (hopefully) true scale of the problem. 110million big ones.

What a scandal. What a joke. S&G are brave indeed to be taking it on. OK, sure, they are fans and they know there is an upside if they can weather the storm. But given the sheer size of the debt relegation from the EPL would be nightmare that could yet finish the club.

Surely, given this revealing insight by Sullivan at the press conference, is it not time for the EPL to investigating clubs with this level of debt. It must reveal financial incompetence that renders the owners not 'fit an proper persons' to be running this type of business.

S&G called the debt 'serviceable' and they must know what they are talking about, but what a drain on the finances to service this millstone. Of course, we are not the only ones. There are some pretty big names carrying a lot of debt around. It may be 'de rigour' in big business, but when the brown stuff hits the fan cash is king and if you ain't got it then its goodnight.

I was optimistic this morning, a little less so now, but still grateful that a couple of fans who have had a desire to be involved with the club going way back, are at least at the helm. They are businessmen, so they are going to have to make it stack up. It'll be sad to leave Upton Park as it would be for any fan, but I hope there is no mindless campaign against such a move. It needs to happen. Hammers fans are already mad at paying 40+ quid to watch them at home. WH are one of the most expensive tickets around and according to the press conference even that income has already been offset - for the next 2 seasons. What a mess!

Still, we live to fight another day. Sorry Icon, but we really need those 3 points against Wolves now. There are a hundred million reasons why, with 20 million of them for some reason having to go the Blades. How crazy is that, but don't get me started!

That's the price of doing business in a large metro area. Here on the other side of the pond, the pro clubs are pricing themselves out of the market. When business was better, they could plan on corporate box sales and business write off on expenses for entertaining clients. Now?

Rick

hansamike wrote:

Well George, now we know the (hopefully) true scale of the problem. 110million big ones.

What a scandal. What a joke. S&G are brave indeed to be taking it on. OK, sure, they are fans and they know there is an upside if they can weather the storm. But given the sheer size of the debt relegation from the EPL would be nightmare that could yet finish the club.

Surely, given this revealing insight by Sullivan at the press conference, is it not time for the EPL to investigating clubs with this level of debt. It must reveal financial incompetence that renders the owners not 'fit an proper persons' to be running this type of business.

S&G called the debt 'serviceable' and they must know what they are talking about, but what a drain on the finances to service this millstone. Of course, we are not the only ones. There are some pretty big names carrying a lot of debt around. It may be 'de rigour' in big business, but when the brown stuff hits the fan cash is king and if you ain't got it then its goodnight.

I was optimistic this morning, a little less so now, but still grateful that a couple of fans who have had a desire to be involved with the club going way back, are at least at the helm. They are businessmen, so they are going to have to make it stack up. It'll be sad to leave Upton Park as it would be for any fan, but I hope there is no mindless campaign against such a move. It needs to happen. Hammers fans are already mad at paying 40+ quid to watch them at home. WH are one of the most expensive tickets around and according to the press conference even that income has already been offset - for the next 2 seasons. What a mess!

Still, we live to fight another day. Sorry Icon, but we really need those 3 points against Wolves now. There are a hundred million reasons why, with 20 million of them for some reason having to go the Blades. How crazy is that, but don't get me started!

89 (edited by Amsterhammer 2010-01-20 01:55:40)

hansamike wrote:

Well George, now we know the (hopefully) true scale of the problem. 110million big ones.........

........What a mess!

......Still, we live to fight another day. Sorry Icon, but we really need those 3 points against Wolves now. There are a hundred million reasons why, with 20 million of them for some reason having to go the Blades. How crazy is that, but don't get me started!

Mike, I agree so totally with everything you've written here, and I can see that a lot of the same thoughts, reactions and emotions have been going through your head today as have been going through mine.

Today's revelations were beyond appalling, but it's certainly a good thing that they were made in public at all. We're not used to openness and honesty, so what we heard was both brutal and refreshing. Given what we now know, I'll happily settle for several years of mid-table mediocrity and stability while G&S slowly try to put our house back in order again. They're a pair of shrewd businessmen and I feel  reasonably optimistic about them being able to turn things around - in time. I'm also delighted that they have backed Zola-Clarke.

I would also hope that they hire the smartest briefs in town to go over the SHeffU "settlement" with a fine tooth comb, since it flies in the face of both common sense and natural justice. tongue

But first, let's see if all our 'names' really do stay and what sort of striker they are able to get in during the next two weeks. wink

COYI!

(I guess you've seen the new logo?) lol

WARNING: This link leads to an image that may offend - do not go there unless you are a fan of WHU or other UK football supporter.

http://newsarse.com/wp-content/uploads/ … united.jpg

RIP Iron Man

RickB wrote:

That's the price of doing business in a large metro area. Here on the other side of the pond, the pro clubs are pricing themselves out of the market. When business was better, they could plan on corporate box sales and business write off on expenses for entertaining clients. Now?

Rick

Not sure what sports you're talking about Rick, but all the US sport I've seen on tv here recently seemed to have pretty much full houses.

I think we can safely call London a large metropolitan area, one in which you can pay quite widely varying prices for comparable tickets to Premier League games. On the whole though, although people constantly moan about the price of tickets, they still turn up in remarkable numbers. There seems to be a certain element of addiction in the equation. big_smile

RIP Iron Man