Re: The Football Topic

sad day for football, - the Club that previously seemed to be a bit more understanding of the game have proven themselves to be controlled by the drive of financial gain over..... the game itself. If ever there was any doubt that the game is o longer a game but now a business this news exemplifies it. And the business is now about sponsorship and TV rights from Champions League, perhaps with Premiership champions in there as well.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

A classy response to a crass sacking. It's all about the $$$.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Yes Rick. Ex United's Roy Kerane and Andrei Konchelskis have made some telling comments on the matter and both blame the players. With SAF's endorsement you would have thought it would be enough, but not so.

In fact, given their little bit of history I think only Rooney has shown the proper committment this year.

His sacking really dfoes make a mockery of the 6 year contract that was touted at the beginning, and the pompous claims that United were all about stability, building dynasties and all that tripe. I actually bought into it and my posts on here at the time of his appointment bear that out. I held them up as a beacon of decency in the game.

What a shame. The grubby moneymen as always have their say. I think the Glazers themselves might have held out but the size of the debt won't allow it, not if there is a quick fix available.

I, as have others have criticised the likes of Abramovitch at Chelsea and the Sheiks at Citeh, but in one respect at least when they make a decision it is their own. United now operate at the whim of the markets and the faceless shareholders want their profits.

Van Gaal I suspect, even at 63 is the right fit for United. I hope Klopp or Borussia are not persuaded, it isn't right for him now. United's need for success is so great he will be afforded no time to build a side. Van Gaal or Ancelotti have the experience to deal with mega buck players and get them and their career can't be tainted by a sacking within a year.

I reckon the players that have served Moyes so poorly will all be shown the door by a Van Gaal. The popular press says at least 12 will have to go. Serves them right..........

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

first thing to say here is that I am not anti Man Utd, - I hate the tribalism view of some around football. Man Utd have for many years flown the flag for English football in Europe and the World and probably done more than any other club to provide development of youth into English football, and only a idiot would fail to commend them for that.

However, - the decision to make Ryan Giggs interim manager is appalling. It rewards somebody who was part of the demise and sacking of another person ( a very good, honest person) and sends out completely the wrong message to the wider game. For a long time now I have had issue about the message sent out by the game about players being more important and powerful than management and this action exemplifies it again. Chelsea established players did it to AVB and now the most successful youth group of players in football (for many years) have seemingly done it again. Ferguson would not have accepted this type of behaviour, and actually went out of his way to jump on anybody who spoke out or did anything that could be detrimental to the Club. The FA has f4rted around for many years with a campaign around “Respect” yet completely fail again to address  the real issues around this subject within the game.

Sorry to say this but I am hoping that Man Utd loose the next 4 games, and not just because of Spurs position in the Europa league but because the action of those players and the complete rubbish coming out of the mouth of Giggs does not deserve reward. As a player Giggs has been one of the best players in the world and never received his rightful world recognition, but as a man and a role model, I am not so sure.

Moan over. smile

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

An unseemly episode for United, and unfortunately handled. But it is over now and done.

Giggs is an interesting character, to say the least. Numerous peccadilloes throughout his career and yet very protective of his private life. An even higher profile position, and the need to deal with the media on a constant basis even in the short term might test his temperament.

We'll see.

Wherever Moyes ends up he will be wiser for his experience there. He tried to compromise by mixing the old with the new guard and it didn't work. I'm off to see the Arsenal game tonight and I fancy there may be a position coming up at Newcastle soon if they can get around Pardew's 100 year contract. Although the Magpies are another poisoned challis. I hope he takes a break and bides his time. Villa could be the best fit for him, especially if Lerner does sell as has been hinted in the papers.

I've been taking the flavour of Football in the UK again over the last few weeks. Arsenal will be my frist prem match. I've watched Rangers at Ibrox, Orient at Brisbane Road, Dagenham and Redbridge, Bromley and on Saturday Charlton against Blackburn. Given the various levels I seen the best football I've watched was at Bromley(!). Why? Because they were semi pro's who go to work on Monday and have learnt or been trained to perform simple things well. The level of individual mistakes was surprisingly low, and, given the lower speed of the game, not so ruthlessly punished.

Maybe it is relative, but at Charlton on Saturday Blackburn were significantly better only in that they were better disciplined and made fewer mistakes but seized on and punished Charlton's.

Football is a simple game. Munich with their 600 passes per match try to complicate it with massive amounts of possession, but that possession is only designed to avoid individual errors whilst frustrating the opposition. Madrid played them very well last week. They let them have the ball as much as they wanted except in the final 3rd. I hope they can do it again this week.

But the fact remains, it is a simple game. The errors I have seen these last week from the 'pro's' are all as a result of poor decisions by the player resulting in, sometimes, catastrophic, ball loss and a goal opportunity for the opposition. Managers seem to go on and on about systems and formations, which are only as good as the players executing them. From what I have seen lately they need to go way back to basics - passing and movement (on and off the ball). The Charlton fans were surprisingly forgiving on Saturday but also resigned. They had given up their 25 quid or so to see a group of reasonably paid professionals deliver a sub standard performance for all their effort.

I think now, more than ever, players need to be paid according to results. Apparently the tunnel motto at Charlton is
"Quality is expected, effort demanded". The latter was present, the former sadly not in sufficient quantity.

I wonder what Arsenals is? Might find out tonight..................

if only it still were a “game” Mike. Sadly it is now a very important money making business to a few people who do not care about the development of youth or the game itself. - Also sadly I do not think it over as it is another nail in the coffin of the rich brat game and has set completely the wrong precedent for the game, although be it a precedent already set by Chelsea, but who would expect anything more from a Club owned by an oligarch? Combine that with the likes of the antics at Cardiff (another spoilt brat owner) and you can see my increasing frustration with what is supposedly the top level of the game.

Even the Champions league has become (relatively) boring as Chelsea proved last week in the first league semi, - no wonder USA do not see the game as exiting to watch if games like that are an example! wink

- I fear also that Arsenal will be rid of Wengar before long and join the quick fix high profile celebrity manager 2 year job brigade!

-sorry negative moaning post from me. smile

Hear what you are saying Ian, but it can still be a beautiful game. As I've said I have reconnected it with it lately at a number of different levels. Yesterday evening's game at Arsenal was the final instalment of my UK 'tour'.

First off, The Emirates is a magnificent setting for football. There probably are finer stadia but the Arsenal's is right up there in my book. Spacious, comfortable and for a fan, intoxicating I have to say. Having visited the Olympic Park at the weekend I can only hope, that the massive amount of work that needs to be done on it to make it a viable football stadium won't be hashed up. The Emirates serves as a benchmark of what one should look like, sound, like and feel like. I have my doubts that it will be possible.........

The football was most impressive. The distinction between the Prem and Championship, and Scottish football is MASSIVE.

All the things I had mentioned in my previous post were on show. It wasn't a great game last night. Newcastle offered nothing in opposition, but even so, the speed of movement, 1st touch control, awareness and vision was a tonic to see.

Arsenal won at a canter and I suspect Arsene is set fair for another couple of seasons. They have been blunted, if not blighted by injuries this year. Even so they are 1 or 2 players short I feel. They should bust the bank and Mandjukisc or however you spell it from Munich.

Dark times for Newcastle. Survival was settled early for them, way before Pardew's ban which is just as well. They were makeweights last night. Only 2 English players in their starting line up. It's just not Newcastle. The fans do them great credit though. Large contingent on a Monday night in London in the sure knowledge there was nothing to play for and the gaurantee almost of getting beat.

Off the pitch an owner who has trying to flog the club for 5 years, investment as and when. They sell their best players and can't attract better ones. For all that 55000 turn up week in week out. They need to DO something up there.

Back to German football for me now next week and to see if Hamburg can escape relegation, or the relegation play-off at any rate. It is a big deal as they are the only Bundesliga club never to have been relegated. They are in the position now Newcastle could be if they do nothing. I suspect they will get out of it, but for how long.

Dortmund has to be the template for clubs in this situation. 5-6 years ago bankrupt on and off the field. Now, 2 times champions and a champions league finalist. Probably one of the brightest young managers around who doesn't feel the need to leave! It can be done. Newcastle, Villa, Sunderland, Hamburg and hopefully West Ham....take note!

I hate to admit it but the Emirates stadium is amazing. Under the pitch is a massive car park,- you park there and get a lift up into the stadium.

So the Premiership head man Scudamore has been found to be a hypocrite, - surprised? And Blatta is either a liar or an idiot over Qatar 2022, or possibly playing a clever game to get the World Cup moved to USA manipulating others to make the decision he wants for him? The idiots in Brasil riot over World Cup 2014, - way too late to do anything about changing anything! And Man City get a fine for spending too much money, - you could not make it up! smile

Brasil is looking like a potential disaster. Stadia unfinished, infrastructure lacking, rumblings of discontent from the favelas and a show of armored riot police just to let the folks know what is to come. I'd have second thoughts about attending.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Ian916 wrote:

I hate to admit it but the Emirates stadium is amazing. Under the pitch is a massive car park,- you park there and get a lift up into the stadium.

So the Premiership head man Scudamore has been found to be a hypocrite, - surprised? And Blatta is either a liar or an idiot over Qatar 2022, or possibly playing a clever game to get the World Cup moved to USA manipulating others to make the decision he wants for him? The idiots in Brasil riot over World Cup 2014, - way too late to do anything about changing anything! And Man City get a fine for spending too much money, - you could not make it up! smile

And City's fine is so miniscule compared to all the money they've spent on players that it's barely a slap on the wrist.

RickB wrote:

rumblings of discontent from the favelas and a show of armored riot police just to let the folks know what is to come.

it is not the poor of the favelas rioting Rick, it is the affluent youth wearing Hollister designer shirts, - that is what makes it so stupid. They are right, it is a country divided by wealth, (the have’s and the have nots) but those rioting care little for the real poor. And typically Brasilian to riot when it is too late, - when the World Cup is about to be played, - the time to protest was before they started building, but that would have required planning! When I was last there in 2010 you could see that they would struggle to complete what was required, - but I still think that it will be a great tournament, once it is running.

Another theme, which Blatter belatedly did a U-turn on after the Lampard 'non-goal', is the need for goal line technology.

Personally, I am all for it, and I can't believe that refs don't come out and bang on about it.
On Saturday Bayern were awarded the DFB cup after 'beating' Dortmund 0-2 in the final after extra time.

I say 'awarded', because Dortmund had a perfectly fair goal overruled after 60 odd minutes. The ball was clearly over the line and the 4 chumps charged with officiating the game didn't see it. I find it absolutely unbelievable that in such high level high profile matches or competitions technology is not used. Bayern got beat. Simple as that. But human error of a gargantuan magnitude presented them with the victory yet again.

I don't say that after 120 compelling minutes they didn't deserve it, but the fact is the extra 30 shouldn't have been played. The officials blunder was a game changer because up until that point the match was beautifully poised.

Another black mark against the officials was also the reluctance of the ref not to book or send off certain Munich players for persistent fouling. Guardirola had instructed his players to stop Dortmunds counter attacks at all costs. Cue tactical fouls by Bayern all over the pitch.

Phillip Lahm, committment 3 such offences and was eventually booked, but he limped off after 28 minutes. Yes booked within 28 minutes after 3 such fouls! Kroos, not a dirty player by any means should have been sent off for persistent fouling. Martinez another candidate.

The referee had a shocker. It happens, just like sh**. But huge goal line errors cannot be permitted. More offcials or technology , it is the only answer.

Hamburg got out of jail yesterday in the second relegation play off. They only needed a 1-1 draw to win by away goals. What would have happened in the goal mistake had happened to them at 1-0 down?

Relegation, possibly insolvency and a club NEVER relegated in over 100 years would be the victim of an 'error'.

It just isn't on. The game has to much value at the top end now.

Rant over on that point anyway.

It won't please WHWW (West Ham Way Whingers), but I am pleased Sam Allardyce gets the nod to carry on. Frankly, I found the speculation utterly distasteful. It seemed, once again, the media had sacked him before the club had even spoken to him.

So from that point of view I am glad the club have the decency to stand up and allow him to continue.

Negative tactics are no one's cup of tea but recognition of what he has done to date needs to be stated. If there is one thing he needs to do it is to improve the home form. Upton Park can be a fierce some place when its rocking and if he can make the place a fortress while getting results the WHWW will shut up.

A mate of mine is a dedicated WHWW. But I can honestly say it wasn't much fun in the old days.Yes, we could laugh about it at the time, but it was no real joke when you saw the players not taking it as seriously as they should.

The West Ham Way is largely a myth. Effectively we tried to play like 70/80's Liverpool without having the quality of final ball they did, or the defence to deal with the problems when we lost it! It was great to watch when it came off but 95% of the time it didn't and it was necessary to get workmanlike. Which is why we always needed players like Bonds, Dicks, Stewart, Holland, MacDowell and the like, to put a 'shift' in. I think that is what most fans want to see. If you lose, then you lose well - gallantly, if you will. Then no complaints. West Ham - the gallant losers!

The Boards statement decent though it is doesn't leave them covered in glory. They clearly looked around for a replacement but couldn't see anyone with the same nous and can't afford to take a risk at this stage. Very wise of them, so they should have come out and said that on the last day of the season instead of allowing the speculation to build.

As usual, if he gets 12 points from the first 21 next season the whingers will pipe down. But if anyone knows what the West Ham Way is then please let me know. I saw my first game in '67 so I should know. But I can remember lots of standing in rivers of pi$$ at Upton Park, drinking scalding tea and watching them get beat by sucker punch goals in the last 5 minutes, because they were tired from being on the bevvy on the Friday night. It definitely wasn't all wonder goals and heady optimism for a tilt at the title. It was generally always accepted on the terraces that 6th place would 'do'.

Well, times have changed, and a 6th place needs you to be investing about 30m quid every season in players. Top 4 probably double or treble that. West Ham couldn't afford the contracts that go with that, so please, top 10, or thereabouts will have to do.

If I can see it, why can't they?

nice self-effacing post there Mike on the WHWW.

I hope for your sake Brack that van Gaal works out, - the league needs the reassurance of a stable manager at Man Utd!

Thought Real deserved it, Athletico were effective and hardworking but dirty and dull. Also pleased to see Bale and CR7 doing the business smile

Agreed. Atletico are like a Spanish version of Chelsea under Mourihno - successful but boring. Give me a bit of swagger any day...

Even fools say something worthwhile now and again

I saw it a bit differently to some extent. Real started well, but Athletico outran and outfought Real for some 60 minutes. They had numerous chances as well. If Bale had converted one of his earlier 3 chances it could have been different. As it was Athletico had the lead and defended it.
I didn't see Athletico as being dirty either. Up until the first goal Real played all their normal tricks, faking injury and making numerous dirty tackles themselves. I detest Ramos as someone would start an argument in an empty room, but at the same time I can't argue what a fine footballer he can be. After Athletico got the goal they stopped playing around and got on with it.

You could see how effective Athletico were being by the fact that Ronaldo wasn't or couldn't get into the game. The only question for me was - could Athletico keep up the tempo. They couldn't. The Costa thing was folly and they should never have risked it. As it was, effectively Athetico had to play with 10 men for the last 15 mins of normal time as one of their players was clearly injured.

There was only one team in it after 75 minutes and Athletico lost their organisation and structure through fatigue. But they cut it fine. I don't see how there was 5 minutes of extra time in the second half. That was a joke, but Ramos performed his usual trick of getting vital goals and Real were worthy winners at the end although the 4-1 scoreline doesn't reflect how close it really was.

It was quite an open game I thought and a good contest between two contrasting sides. Althletico will be back I'm sure.

glad Real Madrid won it, - listening to commentary on the radio whilst driving it came across that AM were dead on their feet (at one up) unable to give anything more, that was until RM scored and then miraculously they woke up! Lazy? - And another game where an Argentinian implodes into disgraceful behaviour when it does not go his way? Such an under performing nation because of their lack of discipline over the years.

Looks like Bale, Modric and Ronaldo certainly made the right decisions to move on from their last Clubs! wink