Re: The Football Topic

Well, I am garteful for the 'dour' point that was scraped out at Swansea. Same old story thoug. Numerous chances scorned which would have sealed all 3 points even though Lauprup claims they were the better side.

News that Carroll will be back in training in 2 weeks still means he is at least 6 weeks or more away from playing. Given his history he is looking more and more like a Duncan Ferguson. Constantly crocked. WH should have never bought him and I said so at the time. The loan deal made sense, but signing him, no way.

At least Spurs are still winning even when not firing on all cylinders. It is going tonbe a long hard season, as ever. They will have some ups and downs but I think a champions league spot is on this year, unless United start hitting some form. Liverpool are going to fade at some point during the season, Arsenal too which may leave Chelseas in the pound seats. Citeh........dunno, Champions league might distract them....if they get through....

Long way to go. I noted that if we had won yesterday the Hammers would have sprung from 15th to 9th. For the mid-table 'lump' anything can still happen, especially if Snderland get another win soon..............

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

getting concerned that I have caught the Chelsea moan at anything sickness! - And maybe the expectation that a win against Newcastle is just arrogance , but something is not right up front. Maybe there is a chance for Adebayor to prove everybody wrong with a phoenix like performance...? No, I thought not.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Brack wrote:

Some unexpected results yesterday - looks like a very open race this year .... which is a good thing.

it is a transition year for many perhaps? Think it will settle down after Christmas with results getting back to their predictability, although Liverpool being so well sorted this season has been a bit of a surprise - striker injury or ban will hit them hard!

Spurs will have to pay an inflated price for any striker in the window which must be keeping Mr Levy awake at night!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

Wonderful achievement, underlined by an excellent performance in midweek.

The best bit about it, recognised by Platini, of all people, is his loyalty to one club, and theirs to him of course. Yes, it is a special club and a top player can achieve all he could ever want there, but I'm sure there were clubs interested to take him away.

To his great credit he never gave them a sniff. There are some aspects of his character that, shall we say, are not so savoury, but overall, he has given an enormous amount to his club, their fans and his sport. He deserves the rewards and the accolades.

Yes, I've brought the football topic back again for the first time since my last post in November.

I can understand why the interest is dying though. The sport, if you can call it that has all but disappeared up its commercial a$$.

Workers dying on stadium builds in Brazil, workings dying and being exploited on stadium builds in Qatar and managers being sacrificed left right and centre all over the place.

Steve Clarke from West Brom last week and AVB from Spurs today. At the risk of offending any Spurs fans reading this, was there ever a club so fickle and impatient as Tottenham Hotspur. OK, I know impatient is unfair when their last title was at the beginning of the '60's, but really.

If Manchester United are the yardstick of English football, then the stability they have had over the last 26 years should tell us something. Spurs would like a piece of that success and yet fire mangers routinely every couple of years.

Yes, a 0-5 home thrashing is appalling, but they are only 6 points behind Liverpool and a turnabout in form could have been just as drastic as their recent fall. It takes time to bed all these new signings in, everyone knows that. AVB deserved another season at least.

Will Moyes get the boot now? I don't think so. Ferguson will back his man and United will roll with it, because they know better than anybody, even in todays cut throat get rick quick world, Rome wasn't built in day.

I don't feel sorry for Spurs fans. They get the football they deserve sometimes. Hair trigger chairman, with more money than sense it would seem. Just when you need someone to keep their head when all around are losing theirs, fire the manager, 16 games after you invested 100m in your team. Important to note that some of the players bought weren't even AVB's deals.

Great shame for Spurs, again. Another season written off (perhaps). Who next? The Spurs job is becoming like the England job. A poisoned chalice, a career breaker. Who needs that?

For my own Hammers, the chop is probably awaiting Sam Allardyce shortly after Xmas. For the first time he seems to be lost for ideas and resources. To have to re-sign a player the club had discarded, and not even a good striker at that, epitomises the clubs current plight.

A point against a poor Sunderland team after losing at Palace indicates the club won't be able to battle their way out of it. Also a shame. There is an endemic failing at the club. 40 years of underachieving has left an indelible mark. A move to the Olympic Stadium will be the ultimate folly now, unless they can do a deal to share with an NFL team!

So AVB for Hammers in the New Year? I would seriously question his sanity. He should go back to Portugal and re-build hid career again. At 36 years old he has a massive amount to offer. Spurs loss will be somebody's gain for sure.

Manchester United and Arsenal for Xmas. I'll settle for 2 five nils now and consider they let us off lightly!

816 (edited by hansamike 2013-12-27 13:31:54)

Another good man gets the boot. Cardiff's Malkie Mackay got them promoted, finally, and his reward for Cardiffs first season in the Prem - the sack.

This time not even for the results it seems. He has 'offended' the brittle sensibilities of the clubs multi millionaire owner. Of course, there is no arguing with a man who has sunk 130million quid into your club. You dance with the devil at your own peril. Cardiffs former owners sold the clubs soul along with everything else and now it is a Malaysian Tango that is the order of the day.

Don't like the blue kit? Then screw 100 years of tradition, we'll play in red. What's British football tradition to a Malay millionaire anyway?
Don't like the costs of the new signings you signed off? Sack the guy that did the deals and replace him with your son's mate. Don't like the manager who sweated blood to get the club in the premier division. Sack him.

I suspect Mr. Tan fulfils not too many of the various rules regarding fit persons to run a football club, but as ever his money was enough to get him through the door. It will all end in tears and Cardiff will be broke and hawked off.

Football at the top level is a joke. Hanover have just sacked their most successful manager to date. 4 defeats in a row is a 'crisis'. So who are they going to get now? Mirko Slomka's crime? He was able to get Hanover to perform above their level for 3 seasons and now they have expectations way above their ability and finances.
Unfortunately, there is always some dope prepared to take the job, mainly because they get a 2 year, or more, deal, safe in the knowledge that the sack brings a financial windfall.

The economics and the management style of the madhouse. Expect Sam Allardyce to depart West Ham on Saturday if they lose. Who will the Hammers get? If Sam Allardyce can't keep them in the division I don't fancy anyone else's chance.

Tim Sherwood will get til the end of the season at Tottenham but if he can't improve on the current 8th place then I don't see him lasting into next season.

Hamburg lost at home to Mainz last Saturday 2-3. A comparison between the two clubs since 2009 sees Hamburg as having 9(nine) trainers in the period against just 1 for Mainz. Hamburg have spent over 80million on players and Mainz  just 31millions. So it is not just about money. Stability and holding your nerve are also key. Trainers don't become losers overnight. It is the players that are shite most of the time.

I hope this new law comes into place soon and then the days of expensive transfers will be over. Players will have freedom of movement and contract. Perhaps they don't realise though, that then, it is THEIR performance that will become result based and not just the manager/trainers.

Bring it on I say. It could just be the reality check football needs.

so if you are JB fan it means that your team gets dumped out of the FA cup then?  sad Not a great weekend for a few of us then?

But perhaps with the results for Man U and Spurs are a blessing in disguise? All a bit sad that the FA cup could be a diversion to league, - happy memories as a youngster of the first weekend in May and the only televised live match.

My previous Spurs negativity fears look to have come true, sadly I think too many of last years squad were got rid of too soon, as a squad needs time to gel. Not sure about sacking AVB, - still think he is good, just looks like his man management skills are lacking. Can’t see Tim Sherwood having the depth of experience to get top 4, - his 4-4-2 lineup yesterday was naive.

I love the cup, and I wish there was a big enough carrot involved for the big clubs to take it seriously again. Some do, but in the great scheme of things for top 4 or for the bottom 4 it is a distraction they don't need.
I'm disappointed West Ham had such a unseemly exit, but given the problems at Upton Park it is  probably a blessing. A draw wouldn't do and an extra round wouldn't help either. Gary Linkers comments about it are naive. West Ham are on the brink. Giving Forest a game wouldn't have brought us back from it. 14 fit players to get through 6 games is a joke.
I used to be a big fan of the Xmas and new year programme but given the pressures of the modern game it seems a bit stupid now. The Germans take the winter break even though the weather doesn't require it any more. We should do the same or reduce the fixture pile up accordingly.

I watched the Spurs game. They didn't seem to turn up, but there were chances, so it could have been different. Great watching some of the other games though - Rochdale, Sheffield United, Southampton. All good cup games in the old fashioned way.

a big welcome for Julian Green who has decided to join the USA national team. We need any help we can get. He may get to play a little in a warmup friendly vs Mexico first of April. I'm slowly warming up to futbol, Adderall is helping. lol just kidding!

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

As you can see though Tres, the forum is warming down from Futbol. There is no interest on here anymore. I've tried to bring it back from time to time but it is dead.

My personal interest is alive and kicking. Borussia Dortmund against Zenit tonight in Champions League. Hopefully Dortmund will do the business. And I even hope United get through this evening, just to alleviate some of the pressure on Moyes. I don't want to see him fail.

Disgraceful how some ex players of his crawl out of the woodwork now and slag him off. Shame on them...........cheap shots from cheaper men............

oh, I had no idea that was the case. same happened with my NBA basketball topic, went downhill quickly. NHL hockey and PGA golf have not been very active either. I wondered why it was on page 4. Take care, hope everything is well with you.

hansamike wrote:

As you can see though Tres, the forum is warming down from Futbol. There is no interest on here anymore. I've tried to bring it back from time to time but it is dead.

My personal interest is alive and kicking. Borussia Dortmund against Zenit tonight in Champions League. Hopefully Dortmund will do the business. And I even hope United get through this evening, just to alleviate some of the pressure on Moyes. I don't want to see him fail.

Disgraceful how some ex players of his crawl out of the woodwork now and slag him off. Shame on them...........cheap shots from cheaper men............

822 (edited by ahsmith33 2014-03-19 14:52:03)

well, he is really young. My understanding is that if he didn't commit to play for the German national team, didn't play any games with them, then he can jump ship. His dad is American and lives in Florida. But it's a one time decision, after he commits there is no going back to the German team or any other national team, I think?

EDIT: "FIFA since 2009 has allowed a one time change in national team affiliation, for a player who has appeared in an official match for a youth national team, as long as the player had dual citizenship at the time". sounds reasonable, we'll take him. smile 

Brack wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:

a big welcome for Julian Green who has decided to join the USA national team

Shame on me for not knowing who Julian Green is! Is that right..... players can just 'decide' to join your National side? That sounds really nice of him! smile

A nice acquisition for the MNT. I haven't posted since the US qualified since there has been no action this side of the pond other than our Pro leagues which would be 2nd division at best in Europe.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Brack wrote:
hansamike wrote:

hope United get through this evening, just to alleviate some of the pressure on Moyes. I don't want to see him fail.

After the loss to Liverpool at the w/e - i can't seriously see United getting through tonight - at the moment, we don't deserve to go any further.
Whatever the outcome tonight, Moyes will stay. United fans world wide - we have to accept a new reality for now, and hope for better in the future.  It was always going to be tough, following the success Sir Alex brought.
Added to that - realistically, we can't expect to look forward to European football next season sad

Good to hear you say that Brack. I know some United die-Hards that probably want Moyes hung drawn and quartered, but then these guys even thought Ferguson didn't know what he was doing!

A new reality is a nice way of describing it. It seems incredible to see a side who won the PL at a canter last year so off key, so the obvious conclusion is that Moyes doesn't know his onions. But I think what we saw last year was the last hurrah of a great side. I don't know how Ferdinand gets a game sometimes. He was never quick, but often his positioning got him out of trouble. he doesn't seem to have that any more. The keeper is good, but suspect and this is an area where United have always tried to have the best.

It was a great win last night, but the Greeks wasted a number of chances that would have seen United off. Sadly, I think this is as far as they will go in the CL as it is a very strong group this year.

I watched the Dortmund game last night and they lost at home to Zenit, in the end deservedly so and it could have been worse than 1-2. Some of the Dortmund players were critical post match that sections of the crowd were catcalling when possession was lost. I can see that may be disappointing to the players, but honestly, possession was being lost so often it was no wonder.
Klopp was happy they got through but I thought Dortmund were very poor. They have had a terrible year with injuries and for me they look like a team of strangers playing together.

Madrid (Real) that is, look sublime, and they are my bet this year even with Bayern and Barca still there.

Even a poor United are enough to see off a clueless West Ham. Moyes has a very good record against the Hammers through his Eeverton years and I couldn't see any upset coming. Rooney's class was enough after 8 minutes!

It'll be a miracle if they get any kind of result against Munich. If you look at United's team and ask who would get a game with Bayern, you probably only get Rooney and Van Persie as an answer. That's hard but not unfair, which demonstrates just how good the Munich squad is currently. They should be Bundeliga Champions again for the 24th time by Wednesday evening with a 23 point gap and 9 games remaining.............ouch!

826 (edited by Ian916 2014-03-24 12:19:20)

Moyes will get it right and I hope that the Board stick with him - his managership should be seen as a long term plan, - clearly from the excellent performance the other night/day (?) of the best Englishman to never play for England, Ryan Giggs the team is still clinging on in there, but it needs rebuilding. - Their youth policy/team does not disappear overnight either, - and not sure why people in football (Journo’s) do not realise that the success of a team is cyclical, - well certainly if it is to win things, - the contrast being Arsenal who have constantly been there but never quote succeeded.

The view from the bottom (grass roots). I am to walk away from grass roots as is my coach at the end of this season (2 games to go), as we have both had enough of the small minded petty arrogant idiots that go out of their way to make it impossible for kids to develop and volunteers to help youngsters. We never set out to win at all costs and have never dumped a boy out of the team even turning away better players with a problem attitude over the years, but sadly what has been great fun will now come to an end.

The final straw for us and some of the boys who have already given up was the way the league handled a situation back in November.  - Before a game each player has to show an ID card so as to prove who they are to opposition managers, - the opposition manager came up to me 5 minutes before kick off and said that one of his boys had misplaced his card asking if he could play, - I asked who the player was to be told that it was the managers son who was standing behind him. As I knew the boy as we had played them a few times before and I knew he was eligible to play I said that I had no problem with him playing. At half time when we were  1-nil down and I was questioning my decision wink but I have always viewed that youth football at the level we play at is about giving boys chance to play they game they love. - Anyway cut a long story short we won the game so got the 3 points, or so I thought. A few weeks later the game was marked as void and our points removed! Bizarre? The league gave a fine to the opposition but did worse to us even though we did not field an ineligible player and sought no advantage by taking our points away..... This sort of behaviour sums up the small minded nature of the idiots in grass roots who get carried away when put in a position of power where they can make life difficult for others.

We have had a gap in games but have played for the last 2 weekends but for the first time in the teams 7 year history had trouble fielding 11 players for those last 2 games, -  2 have given up playing in our league but reverted to just their Sunday team (different league), 1 has given up completely and others have said that they will not be playing next year, - and that sums up why grass roots football is so wrong!

- I thought that some of you might be interested in my moan! smile

Sad it has come to that Ian. I've followed your commentary over the few years here and know you got joy from the task. We have similar issues here as well. Petty bickering and rules bending for advantage seem the rule now. Pressure from parents blinded to the reality of their child's talent or lack thereof feeds the problem. All credit to you for standing for the right thing and that is the kids having fun and maybe learning a bit about more than sport.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Gutted. He must be and so am I for him.

I am desperately sad that David Moyes has been sacked. I wanted him for the United job for an age and thought him the ideal replacement for SAF in every way.

Of course, I didn't fully appreciate just how much United had been papering over the cracks in that championship winning year. Van Persies goals hid a lot of that.

But this season has shown up how the Reds had stood still whilst others made up ground, acquiring players and developing sides.

I'll admit, I have been surprised at how poor they have been this year. Tactical failures must be laid at Moyes' door, but the performance of many of the players suggested he had 'lost' the dressing room and yet everyone states that is not the case.

I think the team have let themselves and him down on many occasions this season. It is a transition phase, but even so.

Results make damning reading but even so, I think the club has still reacted too quickly. He should have been allowed to see out the season and start the next. But it seems United are no different to any of the other clubs. The balance sheet demands success, each and every year. I can only imagine they have acted because the somebody they want may be coming available.

Klopp and Van Gaal have been mentioned. Klopp would cost and enormous amount of money to prise him from Dortmund. From what I have heard him say he is not finished there yet, but who knows. He is charismatic and the PL won't have seen his like on the touchline before for sure! I think he is currently the best German manager there is.
Van Gaal would have to get the world cup out of the way first which would restrict his immediate availability.

Whatever, I am just very sad it has gone wrong for Moyes, who I thought and still think is one of the very best in the PL.

I would have him at West Ham in a second....................now there's a thought............