Re: The Football Topic

Rocket wrote:

The only reason soccer ever got called football is...
And where did the idea for the World Cup come from???
Rocket science not required.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith, amongst other things,

Rocket

Football AND Rugby are extremely popular in town here wink

Ha - Rocket Science! cool

Hey Rocket - did the idea for the World Cup come from World Series Baseball, where teams from the USA play.......er.....teams from the USA? lol

As for soccer being called football, the game you guys call football sees hardly any contact between the foot and the ball - what's that all about?

Here's another question folks:

Now Rocket has crossed the great divide into "off topics", how we gonna keep him here? (I think he's starting to enjoy!)

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

well looks like Ferguson has opened his big mouth against the referee once too often... roll He does not do himself or the game any favors. sad

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

57 (edited by Rocket 2009-10-12 06:40:41)

Brack wrote:

Well said Ian! I think, Mr Rocket  is trying to ruffle a few feathers, that or  has his tongue firmly in cheek! smile Either way, dangerous territory !!

~ Brack ~

It's both, and I've been doing it since Joe Bonamassa's forum's inception, version 1.0... Good sports don't mind playing around and busting a few balls. It's weird Icon, football here in the early days had a lot of 'drop-kicking", which a player could do (can STILL do but don't) at ANY time from anywhere behind what we call the line of scrimmage.  Jim Thorpe was said to be able to drop-kick a field goal (3 points) from 50 yards out consistently.  The "quick kick', another lost nugget of our game's rules, is where the "punt" we have on our 4th down to give the ball back to the other team is done unexpectedly on 3rd down, usually resulting in getting out of a severe and hopeless pinch and preventing a return or run back on the expected 4th down kick.  World Series, well, one of these days the Japanese are gonna have robots willing to take up the challenge...It IS kind of pretentious though, but US of A hyperbole makes the world...something, maybe this: roll
Don't know Ferguson from Adam but the game can use a little hockey-like rabble rousing... but when it's your team's guy getting in trouble instead of only giving it to the other team...no good!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

58 (edited by Amsterhammer 2009-10-14 19:29:37)

Jeez, what a lot to catch up on here.....my opinions are likely to 'ruffle some feathers', but let me say up front that I intend no personal insult to any other poster here (Brack and Tripod in particular) but am merely expressing my honestly held opinions.

Green was left seriously in the lurch by Rio, oddly enough an ex-Hammer and did what any professional goalie would do - he committed the 'necessary' professional foul that (fortunately) resulted in the opposition missing the subsequent penalty. I sincerely hope that this episode doesn't cost him his place.

Ferguson, aka Fergie, aka Taggart (a Scottish detective,) is the 'winningest' football manager in British history. For this achievement he is naturally, and rightly, held in the highest esteem by ManU supporters. However, he is also a miserable, moaning, mouthy bully of a man who is widely, and rightly, despised by most other British supporters. For the education of US readers, there are in fact more supporters of other teams than there are ManU supporters, though at times it might appear otherwise.

Finally, and with no personal animosity towards Tripod, I really hope that Argentina gets stuffed by Uruguay tonight and that Chili let Ecuador win so that the Argies miss out on WC qualification. This scenario is unlikely to happen, but I can dream. I have come to this conclusion because I have discovered that my historic hatred of the cheating Argentine manager is greater than my love for the current superstar, Leo Messi - who, incidentally, is by far my favorite player of recent years.

And yes Mike, it's going to be another season of suffering for us Hammers. sad

edited to include this excerpt from the Guardian newspaper's daily football email, 'The Fiver' -

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT

Back in November 2007, when Fifa staged its 11-hour 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa(TM) Preliminary Draw Show® - featuring Disney's® The Lion King®, The Legendary Youssou N'Dour(TM) and The Afrotenors, Africa's answer to the Three Tenors ('presumably one of them is dead', suggested the Fiver's Scott Murray at the time) - everything was supposed to build up to this night. Great teams would clash. Legends would be made. Reputations destroyed. And the bloke who did the voiceovers for the Lord of the Rings trailers would be quids in. Instead, in Europe at least, it boils down to this: Portugal, Greece and Ukraine need to beat Malta, Luxembourg and Andorra respectively to reach the play-offs, Slovakia and Slovenia are duking it out for automatic qualification. And, er, that's it.

So thank goodness for Diego Maradona and his relentless determination to recreate the final scene of Thelma and Louise as Argentina manager. When he took over the Albiceleste last year, they were fresh from winning Olympic gold and looked certs to saunter to South Africa, probably in a luxurious steamboat. Now, after more comical thrashings than Carry On Spanking, Maradona knows that defeat in Uruguay tonight, coupled with Ecuador beating Chile, will put them out of next year's World Cup. "I am dreaming of us going through," insisted Martin Palermo, who is expected to start on the bench tonight with Argentina opting for a 4-4-2 with Leo Messi and Gonzalo Higuain leading the line. But with Maradona in charge, don't be surprised if Messi starts at right-back and Antonio Rattin plays his first competitive match in 39 years.

tongue

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Tonight's 2010 World Cup draw has got England fans rubbing their hands with glee, as England lucked out with easiest draw they have ever had. Meanwhile, US fans are likely to be quietly pleased and somewhat optimistic about finishing second.

Dutch fans reckon it could have been worse, though only Japan is not a serious contender for one of the top two places.

Thoughts from Argentina, Tripod?

2010 World Cup draw

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia

Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Cost, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

RIP Iron Man

60 (edited by RickB 2009-12-05 07:47:29)

US fans are very happy about that draw. England will enjoy second in the first round.  The Dutch look good to advance, Group A may see France say good by after failing to get the result.

I'll stick my neck out

Advancing (in order)
A. Mexico, Uruguay
B. Nigeria, Argentina -In spite of Maradona
C. USA, England(gotta be a homer)
D. Germany, Ghana
E. Netherlands, Cameroon -Someone good is going home
F. Italy, Paraguay
G. Brazil, Portugal-Toughest draw, all 4 very good
F. Spain, Chile

Rick (who loves this football more than ours)

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Brack wrote:

To early to stick my neck on the line.... and remember, there will be shock results! No easy games. I also think, every effort will be made to get SA through to the knock-out stage!

~ Brack ~

There's that cynic seaking in again! tongue  Trust no-one! lol

There's not much for us English to look forward to other than another quarter-final defeat in a penalty shoot-out is there?
I wonder what odds they are giving - has to be worth a bet.........

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

62 (edited by RickB 2009-12-05 21:14:48)

Icon wrote:
Brack wrote:

To early to stick my neck on the line.... and remember, there will be shock results! No easy games. I also think, every effort will be made to get SA through to the knock-out stage!

~ Brack ~

There's that cynic seaking in again! tongue  Trust no-one! lol

There's not much for us English to look forward to other than another quarter-final defeat in a penalty shoot-out is there?
I wonder what odds they are giving - has to be worth a bet.........

Ian

Well, Brack sees a premature fix for SA, the home field advantage will play in but their results against full strength teams from the real powers may not allow much if they advance to round 2. However, the other continental African teams are formidable and there may be a change in the wind, Nigeria to the round of 4? Several non traditional South American teams are very strong and Concacaf has become much stronger lately. This could be the year for Mexico to make a deep run. England has the talent to advance deep, but lack the cohesiveness to do it all. The loss of Onewu has left the US a bit short although Howard on his best days can alter any outcome.  There should be some upsets but I fear we will once again see the Germans advance to the round of 4 and of course Brazil. Those two always find a way. Their companions once again will come short. If I were a betting man, I would not bet against Brazil. No one has shown the ability to rise to their level in the clutch.  Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I'll start speculating on the WC once we get a bit closer to the date.

For now, I'm desperately hoping that the Icelanders will accept the Gold/Sullivan bid for my club, realizing that 40% (or so) of something is better than 100% of SFA.

Sadly, as we already knew for some time, Dean Ashton announced his retirement from the game this week. sad Such a waste.

Good news dept - BFJH (John Hartson) appears to be on the road to a real recovery!!! Way to go, big guy. cool

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:

I'll start speculating on the WC once we get a bit closer to the date.

For now, I'm desperately hoping that the Icelanders will accept the Gold/Sullivan bid for my club, realizing that 40% (or so) of something is better than 100% of SFA.

Sadly, as we already knew for some time, Dean Ashton announced his retirement from the game this week. sad Such a waste.

Good news dept - BFJH (John Hartson) appears to be on the road to a real recovery!!! Way to go, big guy. cool

George - Where have you been hiding?

Dont tell me - West Ham scoring five the other week was such a shock and you've needed time out to watch the recording over and over? lol
Re Gold & Sullivan - I wouldn't be so keen if I was you - ticket prices will shoot up for starters - ask the bluenoses.
Real shame for Ashton - I've been a fan of his since he was at Crewe - good old fashioned centre forward.

Good result for my team on saturday, and also for Aston Vanilla. (funny how that didn't get mentioned on the "alternative" football thread. hmm )

Welcome back

Ian

We have the game of our life on saturday.

The final match against Barcelona.

GO Estudiantes GOOO!!

I have no opinions on football...i support SHEFFIELD UNITED!!!!!:lol: lol lol lol lol

Come on you Blades!

tomorrow is the DAY!!!

please, ESTUDIANTES....win that trophee

Tripod wrote:

tomorrow is the DAY!!!

It would be a nice climax to Veron's career, but I think that 'my' Barca will have too many guns tomorrow - what odds that an Argentinian scores the winner against you?

In other news, the CL draw has thrown up some fascinating fixtures! My selections to go through are in bold.

AC Milan v Man Utd

Porto v Arsenal

Lyon v Real Madrid

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina

Inter Milan v Chelsea

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Stuttgart v Barcelona

RIP Iron Man

Tripod wrote:

tomorrow is the DAY!!!

Unlucky Tripod, but I'm sure that you'll agree that the better team won? And who else but Messi would score the winner? big_smile

Visca el Barca! cool

....and fancy the Scousers and the Mancs both losing...

RIP Iron Man

So do they play this futbol in the snow??? That would be really cool

Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

Rocket

As it happens Rocket, this game was played in Abu Dhabi. By winning it, Barcelona can truly call themselves World Champions. They have literally won everything any club can win, six prizes in one season, a unique achievement that is unlikely to be repeated for many decades, if ever. cool

RIP Iron Man

Rocket wrote:

Rocket

all the Premiership games played yesterday, - under pitch heating, - now wonder we have global warming when they are heating the ground!!!

All the amateur stuff gets called off though, - my Under 11 team did not play yesterday sad

Ian

Come on you Spurs!!!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun