Re: Full length amp rig Demo

Stratovari wrote:

Thanks guys for your comments. Means a lot to me. smile

So, I couldn't live with the fact not to give the amp a try until tuesday.
I had a small test with it now in rehearsal room over a no-name 4x12 cab
which I borrowed. I tried Justins settings and it sounded - different...
Much cleaner. Ah, I need the footswitch to change to OD channel.

And here we are. It was immediately THAT sound I was hoping to get.
Very warm, sirupy (love that word! wink ) and sweet sounding mids.
If you play this bridge to better days riff you this compressed attack
which I was never able to reproduce. No it comes like that.
It likes pedals very much. My TS-808 RI sounded wonderful even in the drive channel.
I'm very, very impressed. More to come next week over my new cabs.

Derek, thanks for the link. I have a look tonight and register then.
I have some vox clothes left. Enough for a second HRM.
If you are interested let me know. I will send it over to you tehn.

Justin, you are using the drive channel aren't you?
How have you set the OD trimmer? I have it on 10 o'clock.
Then I saw the Level knob is also a push-pull pot.
But there seem no diffrence in both position. Or I just can't hear that..

Alex

That is Fantastic I am glad you are so far
happy with the amp , although I new you
would after Justins great demo, let us hear
how good it can sound, and how will it sound
with the 2550 ? will also be very interesting.

that is a very kind and gracious offer of the
vox cloth which I will immediately accept I had originally
planned to order a custom head from gabkits to my spec
but it appears they dont ship to UK. So if you will send to me
I would be in your debt thanks   
                                                 Derek

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

56 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-05-30 01:00:05)

That's cool Alex, I had a feeling that it would be hard for you to wait lol .  Okay, here's exactly how I set mine:

I'm plugged into the HI Input

Volume-7 (pushed in, not pulled out.  That is the bright switch when pulled, sounds FANTASTIC for cleans, but to me I can hear some unwanted treble on my OD tones so I have to comprimise)

Deep switch- OFF (the Marshall has PLENTY of thump already, but it does sound okay with the deep on, worth a try on your rig when you get your cabs)

Mid Boost-ON
Rock/Jazz-ROCK big_smile
Treble-5
Middle-7
Bass-5
Drive-4
Level-2 ( you can set this wherever, just depends on how loud you want to be!)
OD trimmer- 9 o'clock (from looking at the back of the amp)
Master (your clean volume) - 2 (you'll want to match this or make it slightly less than your overdrive sound to get a good level match to the OD tone)
Presense-0 (I hate extra treble, it makes more of a Mesa Boogie type sound when you start to crank this up, adds more of that Boogie "sizzle" on the notes.  Not my cup 'o tea)

I use the DSL's clean channel and HRM's clean channel at the same time (since they both share EQ's I basically get the same sound just really clean big_smile ) hence the modded Footswitch, but for my OD sounds it's the Marshall's Crunch channel and the Ceriatone on it's gain channel with the mid boost engaged.  The green and red light on the pedal should both be on with the green being the mid boost.  You can reference the video for the effects and stuff, really not needed but add icing on the cake wink .

And that's pretty much it man.  It's what works for me but don't let it prevent you from experimenting.  I tried to copy Joe's settings off of his Van Weelden...NOPE.  WAYYYY TOO LOUD, and sounded pretty bad for my personal rig.  I had to go with my own settings sad but I'm glad I did because it's a great sounding amp.  Congrats Alex and Derek, welcome to the OTS HRM family!  Check out www.ceriatoneforum.com for more info and threads on the amps.  Off to work boys... mad

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Justin, thanks for the deep insight in your settings.
They were the basic settings I started with. And mind you, after tweaking from there
to different settings in gain, bass, middle an treble I ended up in the origin settings. lol
So they are pretty good balanced for this "super middy" sound.
Once I found a good balance with the new cabs (get them on tuesday btw)
and the 2550 I go a step further with the FX stuff.

Derek, drop me a pm with your adress.
I'll send the vox grill cloth out to you then.
Please report about the steps in your HRM build.
Yes the new video will follow soon once it works together.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

58 (edited by ZampraZ 2009-05-30 12:11:47)

Very cool guys. Looking forward to a nice, long, GAS-inducing video clip smile

So Alex, I guess this begs the question of what you are planning to do with your 2555 Silver Jubilee and Budda SD30???  If you sold the 2555 (since you are happy with the 2550) you could easily add another amp to the mix and have the whole 4 amp rig going on.  Imagine trying to gig with that though hmm .  Can't wait until Tuesday man, those clips are going to be sick! cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

You guessed right Justin. I sold the Jub to a close friend of mine.
I had to do this as I needed the money to finance the HRM.
And as you said, I'm very happy with the 2550. No point for me to keep the Jub.
But my friend live close to my place so it will be still around. wink
The Budda will stay for the first. One more unused amp.
I also have a Marshall 1974x which I almost never use.

I find gigging with too much stuff annoying.
Especially if another band gigs before or after you.
Too hectic too build up the rig.
My plan is to use for the big gigs the two ceriatones, the 2 cabs
and the pedalboard. Then at least 3 guitars. Enough to carry around...
For smaller gigs I use only one 2x12 cab (stereo, each amp to one EV12L)

I will probably not have any clips on tuesday because I have to put the speakers in
and configure the whole amp family and see if my plan with the speaker choice works out.
But I will defo make some pics and report about the results.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Hello Justin,

Thanks again for the great demos ! I was wondering if You have recorded the Ceriatone HRM together with the Marshall with a Shure SM57 mic ? Would be very nice to hear the result.
I find the cameras mics usually to add too much compression to the sound.

Btw. I've built two dumble circuits and few other amps (now building a 2555) and I must say Your amps are one of the best sounding ones I've ever heard cool

Mat

Thanks Mat, no I haven't miced my stuff up yet because for the last few years I've been a fulltime student/worker 7 days a week so I haven't gigged this thing yet.  I was hoping that it's loud enough and big enough sounding to not need a mic cool .  If I had to mic it though, A Shure SM57 would be my first mic choice and I'd like to use two optimally.  However, most sound guys would prefer to only have to use one and in that case some experimentation on placement would be neccessary.  I would probably distance mic it inside the baffle towards the center of the cab inbetween the two bottom 12'' speakers maybe 6'' away or so.  That way it could pick up both amps and you wont get that super biting treble from micing the center of the speakers.

Sorry, what I meant was that have You recorded the amps to pc or multitracker  etc ? With Your playing skills I would suppose You have made songs and recordings of Your playing.

Mat

Thanks for the flattering compliments, but no I have not done any multitracking or pc recordings of the rig.  I would like to learn how to do something like that, like what kind of PC--->guitar interface I would need and how to download the backing tracks etc.  Also, what are some good recording software that you don't need 4 years at FullSail to learn how to operate?  Any suggestions would be cool.  Thanks in advance!

-Justin

In my opinion there are just things one learns at a place like FullSail that are priceless. Sometimes I think they can make any software sound good. They have the hours in, I guess.

I use Garageband on my Mac, also GearBox for my Line6 Toneport UX2 guitar/mic interface. It has '68 Marshall Plexi, '70 Twin Reverb, Soldano, JCM 800 - all simulation amps. Even has "song" modeled guitar tones for basically any great song you've heard of ... all done online. It ends up being a game for me.. I'll lick on a song's tone and play the song - Holy crap- it does sound like that song!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Any PC suggestions?  I would mainly need a decent but user friendly Pro Tools type of program and a mic --> PC interface right?  The whole PC recording thing is a mess...I was lucky enough to figure out how to operate a friggin' camera and put it on Youtube!  I'm decent with guitar gear, anything else...it's pretty pathetic.  Thanks for sharing how you record though.  Any more suggestions?

I use:

-shure sm57 mic + a diy mic in to:

-mic pre amp (sm audio TB202 = very cheap) in to:

-soundcard on pc (M-audio audiophile2496) in a:

-just ordinary pc (or my laptop = 1.5ghz processor with 2GB of memory. Records easily 8 simultaneous tracks with my band using Presonus FirePOD audio interface) using:

-Reaper audio recording software (http://www.reaper.fm/)

Easier solution would be a four or eight track multitrack recorder. For example http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;47,16.html

Mat

Mat, sounds like your rec stuff is good enough to prevent latency.
I have to admit beeing a pc recording idiot.
Tried several times to get familar with cubase or samplitude but for some reason
it just wont work with me. Even ok hardware. Maybe I loose patiance with the gazillion parameters and midi stuff.
I had the idea of recording song ideas by programming the drum pattern, playing a simple bass over it
and then the guitar stuff. Maybe I'll pick this up again one day.
I roughly can work now with garage band on my mac and play over a backing track.
But the inbuilt amp models doesn't sound that good.
Here i'm like Justin, I rather stick with the real gear which I can handle way better... lol

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

69 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-06-01 05:29:46)

Here's part II of the original demo.  I made some swaps and changes, but included all of my pedals that I use at the moment.  Particularly the RT-20 for the Leslie stuff and the tremolo.  Hope you guys enjoy, it was kind of rushed because I had to go to work...Peace~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQZk1UXFds

-Justin

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Here's part II of the original demo.  I made some swaps and changes, but included all of my pedals that I use at the moment.  Particularly the RT-20 for the Leslie stuff and the tremolo.  Hope you guys enjoy, it was kind of rushed because I had to go to work...Peace~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQZk1UXFds

-Justin

Good stuff Justin. I like the "Tea for One" licks. Hey, did you buy your Ceriatone (?sp) from their Website. Kind of a strange website, only pictures of parts.

Tom

#275 JB LP

Thanks Tom, yep Nik will tell you up front that his site is his weak point wink .  Basically if you are interested in an amplifier find out what package you want (he lists them with various options) and if you have any special mods in mind he can add for an additional charge.  Just email him with the amp you are interested in, assembled by them or if you want to build it, the package you want, and if you want any extras such as a half power switch or effects loop etc.  It's also important to decide if you want to have it come in a Ceriatone cab or if you want to get an aftermarket one.  I opted for the HRM without the cab, then bought a custom one from www.gabkits.com .  So many options, just shoot Nik an email...he responds very quickly!

-Justin

My dearest Justin, you set the bar very high! wink
Really a fantastic setup too. The Dalley matches pretty good with the HRM.
What cab are you using there? Great sound as usual and really good playing.
The Tea for two stuff was very convincing.
Planning currently my own rig. Will pm you about it.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de