37 (edited by ZampraZ 2009-05-23 11:24:51)

Re: Full length amp rig Demo

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

The DSL is a very versitile amp with basically 4 channels.  Clean, Clean with gain, Medium overdrive, and Ultra Gain.  I Just use the Clean and Medium overdrive although the clean with gain sound is very nice as well.  It works great by itself but due to reliability issues I would have to recommend something else.  If the Ceriatone 2555 was available when I was shopping I would have got that instead.  Matter of fact as soon as the funds allow I will probably sell my DSL to get a 2555.  Unless you run across a DSL stupid cheap I would get the Ceriatone.  Good luck!

Hmm, it's definitley an option because looking around in the used market here, several ads for a DSL 100 half stack for the same price of just a ceriatone head. This gives two benefits, I get to try the amp first and I get it cheaper. (The head used can be bought for around 60% or less of the ceriatones cost). And if things go well, this would enable me to buy a second head much sooner. However I'll have to see if I can find one to try... (I woke up dreaming, I played a DSL 100, yes I obsess so much that I dream about it)... smile

Maybe it's a possibility that you just had a problematic one? I'll have to search around for reviews and see if there are similar complaints...

And stuff like Budda amps, Ceriatones and Dr Z doesn't exist at all in the market over here in Sweden...

It's a great sounding amp, definately can't knock the tone.  A lot of snobs knock them down for reasons I don't know... The Silver Jubilee was actually frowned apon in it's day because of the solid state clipping diodes, master volumes, high gain, etc.  Where are the critics now? lol  I honestly think the JCM2000's will go down as one of the "classic" Marshall amps.  I dunno I just feel safer lately playing a PTP built amp.  All of my PTP amps have been running great and I've had a long history of PCB amps going into the shop.  It is a possiblity that I got a lemon or the previous owner played this amp hard without taking care of it...I can't say.  I do know they sound great, and BTW I recommend either 6CA7's or E34L's instead of the stock EL34's that everyone runs in their amps.  Even KT88's sound wicked.  I have E34L's in mine and it was a noticable improvement in the sound.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

A new 2555 clone would run me 12'500 Swedish which is about $1550. A new DSL 100 would cost around the same. However, a used DSL 100 would run me around 8000 Swedish which is about $1000. I saw another DSL 100 for like $800, in this case I would have almost $800 that I could use to buy a new cab and some other stuff that might be needed... All that + I wouldn't be able to try a 2555 and I've never had the pleasure of myself playing a Silver Jub only heard it...

The prices of DSL's seem to have gone through the roof recently.     I was so lucky because I found mine second hand from a guy who was UTT and had to get rid of his 2 month old toy.  I only paid £325 ($520).   I felt I was robbing the guy.

"I learned to like carrots" - JB

"Schiffer broke a bottle on Morgan's head"

41 (edited by JeroenSchaaf 2009-05-27 17:41:59)

Cool video men!

I watched it over 15 times! what a sound!

Maybe you can help me with my tone?

I am using a Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+ ( i have 2 ) with a pedalboard. How should you plug it in to clone that sound.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3483/dsc13662.jpg

My english isn't that good! sorry!

Guitars: Peer Dellen Custom Strat, VDS Las Vegas Strat, Yamaha Acoustic
Effects:  TC Polytune, CAE Wah, Boss SD-1, Suhr Riot, Arion Sch-z, Boss DD-3, CAE Boost,
Amp: Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+ ( Beamblocker ), Auralex Great Grandma

JeroenSchaaf wrote:

Cool video men!

I watched it over 15 times! what a sound!

Maybe you can help me with my tone?

I am using a Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+ ( i have 2 ) with a pedalboard. How should you plug it in to clone that sound.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3483/dsc13662.jpg

My english isn't that good! sorry!

Hey man thanks for viewing it and welcome to the forum!  Looks like you have some really nice amps and pedals already...If it were me honestly keep one of the Mesa's for that really midrangey semi distorted/cleaner Dumble type of tone with some reverb dialed in, the DD-3 and Arion chorus in the loop.  Then with the money I got from selling the Mesa, I would get something with EL34s in it and if you are really serious about nailing the Joe Bonamassa sound the Marshall Jubilee is a great option.  Ceriatone makes a clone that is VERY cheap (not the craftsmanship, it's unbelievable trust me), handwired, and supposedly sounds as good or better than the original from a few testimonials.  Ben AKA GotMule on here uses a Mesa Lonestar fitted with EL34's and has also played Joe's own rig.  He says that the Lonestar can get "scary close" to the Jubilee.  It's all about filling the EQ voids that every amp has.  IMO the Mesa's can get pretty close to a Dumble type amp with the right settings so you have that covered.  NICE PEDALS BTW.  So nice and neat too...mine is a wreck!  Hope this helps out and thanks!  I would love to hear what tones you are getting currently with the Mesa's and all of those sweet pedals... big_smile

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Stratpaulguy! Thanks for the help!

And thanks for the kind words!

I Really love the Mesa , it's compact en sounds real deep!

Ceriatone is very hard to get here in the Netherlands! What do you pay over there for that amp?

Amps with el34 what amps can i look for?

I'm selling alot of those pedals, but what i keep is:

- Boss DD3
- Arion Sch1
- Fulltone OCD
- Mi Audio Crunchbox
- Mi Audio Boost n Buff
- Ernie Ball VP JR
- RMC wah
- Empress Tap Tremelo
- Carl Martin Plexitone
- Voodoolabs Pedalpower

The Mesa i want to build in a head, en put them on a 2x12 v30 cabinet. Switch one speaker with the speaker from the Boogie.

Guitars: Peer Dellen Custom Strat, VDS Las Vegas Strat, Yamaha Acoustic
Effects:  TC Polytune, CAE Wah, Boss SD-1, Suhr Riot, Arion Sch-z, Boss DD-3, CAE Boost,
Amp: Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+ ( Beamblocker ), Auralex Great Grandma

If I were to buy a 2555 Ceriatone with tubes and the headcab all assembled, it would be $1000 + give or take $200 for shipping.  So for around $1200 USD I can get one at my door ready to rock.  As for the netherlands, I'm not sure how much the shipping would be.  Nik's shop is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia which is really far from me here in sunny Florida! (halfway a joke, as I'm typing this I am listening to a ferocious thunderstorm pass by)  Just shoot him an email from his site and he can give you a quote by email for exactly the amp you want.  His amps are superb and his customer service is A+++.

-Justin

Totally agree. They are superb.
Shipping is around 200$ to germany. So it would be to netherland I think.

Btw, I got a mail today my HRM is already on the way to me.
Wow, I expected it in 4-5 weeks. Yippeeh!

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

46 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-05-28 11:47:11)

Holy Crapola Alex!!! big_smile  Man that didn't take long at ALL.  God mine seemed to take an eternity, but I guess anyone in the hotseat feels that way.  I'm going to be super jealous when those clips come, I just know it.  Congrats!  The shipping is super fast, I think I had my amp in like 2 days or something.  You are going to love it man.  Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions on how the thing works, not that you'd need any help but it did take me while to get mine dialed in.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or how to make the thing work.  Dumble type amps are unlike any other amp on the planet for how they operate...BTW what color grill cloth and head cab did you go with.  I need a mental picture in the meantime! tongue

-Justin

Justin, thanks but I'm very sure there'll be no point
for you beeing jealous. I liked your clip so much that
THIS made me finally order after hesitating so long. smile
Indeed it was very quick. Less than 4 weeks.
I ordered it in black tolex. It was the only cab you can order.
I could have buy another cab somewhere else but I'm kinda
lazy here. Just want it complete. The vox grill cloth is the
Black diamond stuff that they put on the Ac-30 in the 70s.
But of course I will bother you with pm questions wink
I printed your settings out to have a starting point.
Then I will see how things will work. I'm curious.
But if I can archive something like your sound then I
can be happy. It should arrive probably tomorrow or Saturday.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

WOW COOL ALEX
I cant wait to hear how it sounds with the 2550 !
Justins sounded great with the dsl 2000.post
a clip as soon as.......
Incedently I have sold my FENDER HRD
and placed my order with Nik for OVERTONE HRM
he told me shipping would be 4-5 days can you believe that!!
only problem is I have to build it , but this is something I will
enjoy, hope it works LOL

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Congrats bro! Another HRM owner soon. smile
I wish i'd be able to build the amp myself too but i'm a technical legasthenic
apart from changing tubes, pickups and pots etc...
Yes shipping from Malaysia is strangely very quick. My 2550 arrived after only 2 days.
It will be similar quick to UK if doesn't stuck in custom.
What do you think how long it would take you to finish the amp?

Yes sure, a new clip will follow soon.
Next week my new cabinets arrive and after I have put everything together
I will see what this new insane rig will sound like. tongue

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

This is the question I am trying to find the answer to
       on the forum at ceriatone they say this is a difficult
       amp to build so I will take my time ,I hope its finished by
       2weeks and then time to plug in !!!!
       I also see at the forum that Nik refers to ALEX Clip
       on youtube when people ask how the 2550 sounds
       maybe this is why you got your amp so quick ?

Thanks for letting me know this!
Do you have a link to this forum? I will register there.
Very interesting.

By the way, it arrived today! big_smile
I cannot try it the next days as I have no cab here at home.
But I did the cosmetical modification already. Have a look:
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/ao91-3-jpg.html
It looks fantastic. Cannot wait to try it.

Yes I heard that the cirquit is very difficult.
All I can do is wish you all the patiance and luck
that it'll work out best for you.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

SWEEET.....
                YES the vox fabrik is cool  cant wait to here how
                 it sounds.

Just click the demos link from main Ceriatone website
                 heres a link
                                   http://www.ceriatone.com/tlbrBorderSub/ … outube.htm

scroll down to   2550 its there

Derek

SWEET Alex!  I'm loving the black tolex and the Vox cloth (that's the same color I went for too).  Man I am just shocked on how fast they got that amp to you!  So you're telling me the amp is in your possesion yet you have nothing to play it through?!?  That is friggin' torture!  The 2550 and OTS HRM are going to look killer stacked together.  I speak for everyone by saying we are still anxiously awaiting clips Alex... wink  I'm getting the GAS for another Ceriatone!  I need to sell my DSL and then I'm seriously considering the 2555.  Anyways, congrats and enjoy that killer amp!

-Justin

54 (edited by Stratovari 2009-05-29 19:24:03)

Thanks guys for your comments. Means a lot to me. smile

So, I couldn't live with the fact not to give the amp a try until tuesday.
I had a small test with it now in rehearsal room over a no-name 4x12 cab
which I borrowed. I tried Justins settings and it sounded - different...
Much cleaner. Ah, I need the footswitch to change to OD channel.

And here we are. It was immediately THAT sound I was hoping to get.
Very warm, sirupy (love that word! wink ) and sweet sounding mids.
If you play this bridge to better days riff you get this compressed attack
which I was never able to reproduce. No it comes like that.
It likes pedals very much. My TS-808 RI sounded wonderful even in the drive channel.
I'm very, very impressed. More to come next week over my new cabs.

Derek, thanks for the link. I have a look tonight and register then.
I have some vox clothes left. Enough for a second HRM.
If you are interested let me know. I will send it over to you tehn.

Justin, you are using the drive channel aren't you?
How have you set the OD trimmer? I have it on 10 o'clock.
Then I saw the Level knob is also a push-pull pot.
But there seem no diffrence in both position. Or I just can't hear that..

Alex

www.u2-experience.de