19 (edited by tmcguire 2009-05-10 01:54:21)

Re: Full length amp rig Demo

Oustanding; looks like you really put allot of  time into this and it sounds great. I think you nailed JBs tone perfectly and have plenty of your own tone as well.

#275 JB LP

Hmm... I had already dismissed the Marshall DSL but looks like I'm gonna have to give one a shot if I come across one. Good clip and good playing, thanks smile

WOW really nice tones jumping out of those amps!  Great playing as well.  Its funny - we have similar settings on our "Robben Ford tone" amps.  And I use an SG for slide as well.  Way cool man.

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

WOW really nice tones jumping out of those amps!  Great playing as well.  Its funny - we have similar settings on our "Robben Ford tone" amps.  And I use an SG for slide as well.  Way cool man.

Ben

I have to say this about this forum, it has some of the best people on it I've never met.  I was pretty much ready for suggestions, gripes, and critiquing but man I'm loving the response I'm getting from some really top notch players on here.  None of you guys are slouches and I really respect everyone's tone and chops.  I think the neatest thing about the JB inspired threads are what every individual borrows from Joe and makes it their own.  You can watch each individual's video and immediately identify what aspects of Joe's playing and tone they love.  A testament to Joe's amazing ability and individuality is that despite all of our collective best efforts WE ALL SOUND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  I would love to see some more videos of everyone's stuff and to hopefully recruit some more people into sharing their playing and gear. 
Thanks Ben for the kind words.  I still am extremely envious of the fact that you have a disgustingly amazing rig and that you got to demo Joe's stuff.  I would do anything to have a personal demo of Joe's rig so I could log that one into my brain's Tone Bank.  I'm thinking we should post some videos of some slidery next man.  I don't think anyone has done that yet. cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thats right Justin, we all sound different though we have the same sound ideal.
I find this very interesting how everyone try to archive it in ones own way.
I would claim that Ben and you succeded most so far. But of course this is no contest.
It would be interestiing also to hear how the rigs sound within the bandsound.
As to me, I will post a new clip soon but I want to wait until my new cabinets and the HRM arrived.
Whoa, I can't wait really.... cool

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

Thats right Justin, we all sound different though we have the same sound ideal.
I find this very interesting how everyone try to archive it in ones own way.
I would claim that Ben and you succeded most so far. But of course this is no contest.
It would be interestiing also to hear how the rigs sound within the bandsound.
As to me, I will post a new clip soon but I want to wait until my new cabinets and the HRM arrived.
Whoa, I can't wait really.... cool

Alex

We all anxiously await the new clips of your HRM when it arrives.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Nice One!
         I really liked the White Cerritone amp.. Sounded really good.  The trick with the Marshall amp is the using the crunch channel and separate tube screamer.  That will bring the mids really forward and make it very thick and articulate.  Great tone Dude!! The Fender Cab sounded good as well. 
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Nice One!
         I really liked the White Cerritone amp.. Sounded really good.  The trick with the Marshall amp is the using the crunch channel and separate tube screamer.  That will bring the mids really forward and make it very thick and articulate.  Great tone Dude!! The Fender Cab sounded good as well. 
Joe B

Well Justin, now you rightly got the knightly accolade. wink

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Nice One!
Joe B

Well Justin, now you rightly got the knightly accolade. wink

Alex

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Thanks Joe!  Your response has made my year.  That means a lot coming from a guy who IMO has the best tone on the planet.  I will try the tubescreamer trick immediately...thanks for all that you share with your fans!  Not many guys give up their tone secrets as willing as you.  I just made clips of the Bassman and Dailey and will post them tonight when I'm at work.  I love my job hehe!

Cool!, I actually miss spoke... Use the clean channel settings.. pres 4 bass 5 mid 5.5 treb 2 vol 6 gain 6 with the tube screamer.  mid shift off, and bass boost off..  Thats what I use for fly gigs only use two of them through one cab..  I actually just witnessed what my whole theory is on tone secrets.. My hero plugged straight in and achieved the greatest tone with one guitar and amp..  I am happy to share anything I have learned..
Joe B (up late, ship lagged.. ferry ride messed with my hours..)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Cool!, I actually miss spoke... Use the clean channel settings.. pres 4 bass 5 mid 5.5 treb 2 vol 6 gain 6 with the tube screamer.  mid shift off, and bass boost off..  Thats what I use for fly gigs only use two of them through one cab..  I actually just witnessed what my whole theory is on tone secrets.. My hero plugged straight in and achieved the greatest tone with one guitar and amp..  I am happy to share anything I have learned..
Joe B (up late, ship lagged.. ferry ride messed with my hours..)

Congrats Joe on getting to play with Clapton at RAH!  I cannot wait until the DVD comes out.  Now can you please attend the next Crossroads festival!?!?  Everytime I pick up the Crossroads DVD's I scroll through the names....no Joe Bonamassa.  I can only imagine...Sweet Home Chicago with Buddy Guy, EC, BB King, and you Joe.  That would be amazing.  Clean channel huh? I don't know how my neighbors will feel about those levels Joe! wink

Wow... great demo. I love that tone!!! Every one you have is just tasty! cool

Post MORE!!!

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

JBSRV wrote:

Wow... great demo. I love that tone!!! Every one you have is just tasty! cool

Post MORE!!!

-Eric

mate, I can't agree more to what Eric stated above... amazing demo...
thanks for sharing... smile

Cheers
PIT... big_smile

Hmm... How do you think the DSL works using that amp only?

As you know I'm looking around for an amp that will be great alone (but will add second amp in maybe two years time)
I thought the DSL was considered a straight heavy rock amp with way to much gain, seem as if I had it all wrong...

The DSL is a very versitile amp with basically 4 channels.  Clean, Clean with gain, Medium overdrive, and Ultra Gain.  I Just use the Clean and Medium overdrive although the clean with gain sound is very nice as well.  It works great by itself but due to reliability issues I would have to recommend something else.  If the Ceriatone 2555 was available when I was shopping I would have got that instead.  Matter of fact as soon as the funds allow I will probably sell my DSL to get a 2555.  Unless you run across a DSL stupid cheap I would get the Ceriatone.  Good luck!

What problems have you had with your DSL?
I've had mine over 2 years now and I still havn't changed the valves. It still sounds great and I've never had a problem with the amp. That's with it being taken back and forth from gigs too.

I've had mine for about a year and I've had it blow a couple output tubes, when replaced I couldn't get any sound out of it.  I tried rebiasing ect, nothing worked.  Then I had to send it in to get fixed.  When it returned it worked, but when I fired it up it would make these periodic "pops" until the tubes warmed up.  Brand new E34L's in it.  Brand new 12ax7s too.  Still does that with another problem added to the mix...my FX loop makes this horrible squealing screeching sound whenever a cable is engaged.  So I dunno man, I'm glad yours has been problem free.  Mine was problem free and then everything seemed to happen at once.  I think a Ceriatone HW 2555 may be more of what I'm looking for anyways.

ZampraZ wrote:

Hmm... How do you think the DSL works using that amp only?

As you know I'm looking around for an amp that will be great alone (but will add second amp in maybe two years time)
I thought the DSL was considered a straight heavy rock amp with way to much gain, seem as if I had it all wrong...

Joe uses a pair of these on some off gigs...still sounds like Joe. I think it's a pretty versatile amp, but I have no experience with them personally beyond seeing a few live Joe shows when he used them. There are probably 50 other amps I would buy used before buying the DSL though... the ceriatone would be near the top of the list, along with budda, drz ...