Re: Couple of amps I'm looking at, any other ideas?

I'm getting some deja vu here Ben, I vaguely remember a simlar response when I was making an amp decision...

Ben writes:

"Buy both.  That's what I'd do."

You are a total amp whore Ben lol

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

HAHAHA You guys are getting to know me to well.  I guess I'll just have to change my tactics.

Ben

Stratovari wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Uh oh big_smile  Well congrats Alex you'll really dig your amp when it arrives.  They are just top notch.

I'm sure they are great. You know I was thinking a long time already to order or not.
I have watched a gazillion HRM videos and read many reviews and studied its technical background...what more can i do?
No chance to try one nor even a close one like a Fuchs ODS or so... It just will be good.
Btw, it was your video that gave me the final kick to order at last. wink
But Nik made a super offer since i'm a previous customer so it was a steal.
Yes i'll report of course. Waiting is 6-8 weeks.

Alex

That's awesome Alex!  You will love your HRM I'm sure.  That was a very expensive 0:58 of video man...I kid I kid big_smile  Thanks for the compliments and kind words.  Today I will be doing my full length demo so keep your eyes peeled.  So....details!  Did you go with the 50 or 100 watter?  Did you have the external OD trimmer on the back panel installed?  Did you order it completed with the provided headcab or are you going to get a custom headcab?  Did you choose the regular HRM or the newer Bluesmaster HRM circuit?  I got my cab from www.gabkits.com and what Dumble clone would be complete without...

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v … cloth.html

Doesn't affect the tone at all, but sure makes the amp look purrrrrty! big_smile

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Well Justin, now you really got me. About the od trimmer,
I didn't know about this option. Obviously better to have it outside.
I went for the HRM 50 watt version. When I asked Nik about the difference to the bluesmaster he said the HRM has more gain but else no big difference. Do you know more?

I bought it complete with the black head cab.
And of course I will put the vox grill cloth to the front.
I wonder to chose brown tolex and use the black diamond cloth. Then it has the real look.
But mainly it has to sound good first, then the cosmetic aspect. wink
Of course I will look out for your new clip.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Mmmm
          I am really gassing for a Hrm 50w you guys are making me jealous :LOL:
          but Im saving up for Hols what a total bummer.

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Now I want one too!!! This place is getting crazy. Maybe we can get some kind of amplifier stimulus package passed through congress lol I'm off to Washington...wish me luck. Sorry Alex, you won't qualify, but I'm sure Ben and Justin would take advantage.

Sorry Alex, you won't qualify

Not if you agree a worldwide entitlement lol

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Id say, get a Silver Jubilee 50 watt 1 by 12 combo.. great value.. bought mine for 1200, A old Boogie mark 1 or 2 would do.. A straight up Vox Reissue AC-30 or a 18 watt plexi 1 by 12 combo. Those are Great..
Joe B

Alot of these threads as of late so rather than make another one, my amp has for the 5th time this year started cutting out sad Fender Blues Deluxe 1993 16 years has took its toll it seems I've had an itch for a marshall for the past year anyhow, I was thinking a BB Combo or a jtm. What do you guys think?

also whilst I'm posting Im having real trouble taming a les paul sad they always seem too boomy and muddy for me I get a great lead sound but just cant seem to get a nice strummed rhythm out of it.

Ive always been fine with strats rolling the volume for lead / rhythm but I just cant seem to get to grips with a les paul btw its a epiphone (its actually a very nice guitar to play unplugged, brght and resonant) but until I can get a versatile guitar for both lead and rhythm I aint replacing the strats just be nice to get some use out of it has been sat in my room for 9 month now :x at a guess id say the pick ups / electrics are pap (already ordered some pots / caps / wire to replace it all) any ideas?

28 (edited by BVer 2009-05-08 18:25:20)

JohnTB wrote:

Alot of these threads as of late so rather than make another one, my amp has for the 5th time this year started cutting out sad Fender Blues Deluxe 1993 16 years has took its toll it seems I've had an itch for a marshall for the past year anyhow, I was thinking a BB Combo or a jtm. What do you guys think?

also whilst I'm posting Im having real trouble taming a les paul sad they always seem too boomy and muddy for me I get a great lead sound but just cant seem to get a nice strummed rhythm out of it.

Ive always been fine with strats rolling the volume for lead / rhythm but I just cant seem to get to grips with a les paul btw its a epiphone (its actually a very nice guitar to play unplugged, brght and resonant) but until I can get a versatile guitar for both lead and rhythm I aint replacing the strats just be nice to get some use out of it has been sat in my room for 9 month now :x at a guess id say the pick ups / electrics are pap (already ordered some pots / caps / wire to replace it all) any ideas?

Thank you for the reply Joe! I'll definitely consider the Jubilee combo. I never really got into the mesa sound, although I do like the Mark I. I've really considered the 18w combo but I don't think it'll have enough gain for me. I LOVE Ac-30s but they also don't have enough gain when I want it I don't think

as for JohnTB the BB combo is a great amp (I would personally get the ceriatone one over the marshall ones if you on a budget) also look at the the super leads and others that are out there if you think you might need more gain.

as for the epi, great guitar, muddy yes. the mud is probably in the picups, I recommend changing them out (unless you have done that already) to a nice PAF style umbucker. WCR pickups are great

EDIT: what kind of caps did you get? Bumblebee's? Vitamin Q?

29 (edited by JohnTB 2009-05-08 19:05:30)

BVer wrote:

as for JohnTB the BB combo is a great amp (I would personally get the ceriatone one over the marshall ones if you on a budget) also look at the the super leads and others that are out there if you think you might need more gain.

as for the epi, great guitar, muddy yes. the mud is probably in the picups, I recommend changing them out (unless you have done that already) to a nice PAF style umbucker. WCR pickups are great

EDIT: what kind of caps did you get? Bumblebee's? Vitamin Q?

Just a couple of orange drops .022mf from what I understand of electronics the different makes of caps shouldnt make a difference, as long as they are of the same value they should sound the same after all, all they are doing is tone bleeding. AMP's are a different kettle of fish however.. I was more worried about how the guitar was wired up in the first place / the way tone has next to no roll off, these epis seem to be wired with floppy drive connectors :x infact after looking inside it, its quite a mess

for amps its a bit hard in the uk to get mojo, ceriatone etc it works out rather expensive to have them imported.... gonna go check the bb out over the weekend I think a superlead is a bit too loud for what I need though...

JohnTB wrote:

I've come to the same conclusion with my Epi LP standard. It plays like a dream but the pups are muddy. I was thinking about getting one of the new Gary Moore BFG LPs but then I thought why not just swap in a Burstbucker 3 into the bridge and a P90 into the neck on the Epi? I paid like $350 for it so it's not like it would lose any value. And if it all works out I might put a Bigsby on it too.

Major Tom to ground control...

I have to say 1 thing to all of you...esp Ben, Alex, Justin and Joe B himself....I HATE YOU ALL...LOL  just when I thought I was past my GAS for a new amp...you guys just kill me here....I need to see a shrink...cuz i need help!!!

LOL

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Don't hate....PARTICIPATE!!!  cool cool cool

LesPaul4 wrote:

I have to say 1 thing to all of you...esp Ben, Alex, Justin and Joe B himself....I HATE YOU ALL...LOL  just when I thought I was past my GAS for a new amp...you guys just kill me here....I need to see a shrink...cuz i need help!!!

LOL

Barry

You need to see your bank book Shrink..... on gear that is.  Docotrs don't have a clue that all a person needs is some sweet gear and your troubles will go away.

See problem solved.

I wish they PhD in gear - i would get a 100 on that final test!

Ben

LOL Sorry I got carried away

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:

LOL

Barry

You need to see your bank book Shrink..... on gear that is.  Docotrs don't have a clue that all a person needs is some sweet gear and your troubles will go away.

See problem solved.

Ben

+1...

so yeah, I think I'm going to do the jubilee and not the quickrod, I loved the quickrod I tried, I think the Jube is going to suit me better in the long run though

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:

LOL

Barry

See problem solved.

Ben

I love it Ben...I bet you would too!!!

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Blues, Rock, Classic Rock....my Marshall JTM45 RI covers all ground. I am totally in love with my amp and it was the best purchase I have ever made. That's the one amp I'd recommend everyone looking for serious classic tone ;-)

Her's a little video of me playing my JTM45:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17yaQI0MCk