Re: Royal Albert Hall 4/5/9

I'm sorry to hear of the stories of bad sound.  I know I've been to concerts and suffered the same thing.  In fact my last JB concert in Greensboro was a bit of a let down sound wise.  Granted my tickets were about 2/3 back and it was 1100 seat theater so it is hard to get good sound in there.  I've never been to RAH but most theaters were built to have reverberating acoustics so that an un mic'd actor could speak from the stage and be heard, not really built for rock concerts.  That's why the two times I'd seen JB previously at clubs designed as music venures, although not aesthectically pleasing to the eye, were much more pleasing to the ear.

We need to appreciate Joe for what he is, a working musician.  He's not a millionaire like Clapton.  He's not flying on corporate jets or staying at the Ritz.  His tours operate on a slim budget.  PLUS, he's a nice, approachable guy who is very good to his fans and actually takes time out his day to discuss things like music, guitars, life in general.  Try getting that from Mr.Slow Hand...  My point is that if he was to travel with his own sound equipment and sound team, he'd have to book bigger arenas that he may or may not fill and ticket prices would skyrocket.  I've paid as little as $23 for 3rd row seats for Joe and as much as $38 at the last concert.  I paid $200 for a Mr. Slow Hand concert, I was a mile away, he literally was watching his watch and was off the stage at precisely 90 minutes.  I discovered Derek Trucks that night and that was worth it, as for EC not again.

I think the stand up thing to do would be to offer a free DVD to ticket holders who had tickets in certain bad sections.  Send in your ticket stub + shipping and get a DVD.  That's what I would offer my fans...

"Chicago" Dave Schutt
Main Channel Band
Charlotte, NC

I was sitting in the Grand Tier, box 34 and I thought the sound was very good. My only criticism would be that the brass section didn't really cut through for a number of songs. They were a lot more audible near the end.

It was an interesting trick to use two drummers, and I really liked how the opening song was choreographed with each member coming on under their own pool of light. Despite my worst expectations, the two drummers were very tight together. So tight that Joe could have stuck with the one smile.

Unlike a previous poster I thought Eric's guitar cut through well - again probably due to listening location. Looked like Eric was using a smallish combo. It looked a little insignificant in front of Joe's rig but Eric sounded sounded great. Vocally too. In comparison Joe's vocals can sound a little thin, but I didn't come primarily for the singing. There were some serious looking video cameras moving around the stage. I'm eager to see the DVD as I'm sure the audio will sound stunning.

Extra bonus for me smile. As I was staying in London for a number of days I was booked into a hotel in Swiss Cottage - not exactly near to the RAH. Would you believe it but Joe and his entourage all walked into the bar the night before the gig big_smile. He was as down to earth as I expected him to be. I did get a pic of him and me together, but I'll spare you the sight of an awe-struck 46 year old acting like a teenager wink. I had the great pleasure of being taken through a 'family album' by Joe's mum which she has put together to document his progress over so many years. It was a great precursor to the following night. Thanks Joe and everyone else!

Well, that may sound like a nice idea but it wouldn't be at all reasonable to expect to get a free DVD just because you didn't like the sound at a 140 year old concert hall that was never meant for loud music of any kind! Come on! You cannot expect a live gig to sound like it does on your MP3 player or house stereo! The point of going to a live gig is to see the people in action and soak up the atmosphere.

I was sitting literally next to the mixing desk- and I have been to the RAH many times before, and ALWAYS the acoustics are too reverberant for most rock music without exception; I saw The Who there a few years back and the sound was just mud, but it was a great show, and sadly John Entwistle's last - BUT it's a fantastic venue with an incredible history.  Last night, I was disappointed by the sound initially, but I saw the guys on the desk working very hard to improve things as the show progressed & it DID improve...thinking radically here- I think the only way to solve the RAH reverb/echo issues would be to issue everyone with infra-red/radio headsets!:lol::lol::lol: Actually that's not so daft- I attended a festival here where one stage avoided the early curfew on noise by doing the very same!

This don't look like no express way to me...

That would be cool !!!!!!!

The sound was great up at the front and there were no problems except during Scott's set as we could not hear his vocals. I'm sure over time I will give you a greater account, but the night for me was superb! smile smile smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

We were tight left of the stage and the sound was fine, yes you get some reverb, but that happens in any large venue. The show was simply awesome. I cannot think of a better gig and I have been to lots. I had huge aniticipation over this gig and Joe did not disapoint. I am so proud to say we were there.

Greenose wrote:

The sound was great up at the front and there were no problems except during Scott's set as we could not hear his vocals. I'm sure over time I will give you a greater account, but the night for me was superb! smile smile smile

God can wait for the dvd , or for a high quality video in youtube

Sorry to hear that the sound was so bad. There's nothing worse than going to a concert only to be driven out by bad sound. There were a couple forces working against you. One being the "bowl" you were sitting in, and the other may have been Joe's sound guy (I won't mention names), if thats who they used. I saw Joe play in an acoustically perfect theater. I sat at the sound board and watched him struggle to get it right. It sounded bad, at least the worst I've ever heard in this place and I've seen many concerts at this theater. I don't want to point any fingers because I wasn't there, but I do know that the guy I saw working Joe's board was not very good. Could I have done better?? Absolutely. I don't think you can get it very good in a place like RAH, but in a small acoustically perfect theater it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully Joe will address the issue which seems to be a problem at many Joe shows. I'm sure he doesn't want his fan's to be bummed out by bad sound and will do whatever he need to do to remedy the problem. Hopefully he will read these posts........

"what you know can get you far,........... but who you know can get you even further"
"Doing a bad version of yourself is better than doing a good version of somebody else"......Willie Dixon

I was in the hall for soundcheck. Having seats in different locations in which to sit. I thought it sounded good from all vantage points from the circle to the stalls and all points inbetween. I did sit for the show in the circle about 3 rows up half way back from the stage. I thought the sound was excellent. A couple of times when the band got loud Joes guitar got lost in the mix and there was not a lot of bottom end I feel because the subs were flown. I thought the natural reverb of the hall was awesome. Joe cut the delay off the guitar and allowed the Hall to impart its own sound to the tone. His tone was absolutely spot on except for a couple of times when it did get thin sounding when the band dynamics increased.

hftone wrote:

Sorry to hear that the sound was so bad. There's nothing worse than going to a concert only to be driven out by bad sound. There were a couple forces working against you. One being the "bowl" you were sitting in, and the other may have been Joe's sound guy (I won't mention names), if thats who they used. I saw Joe play in an acoustically perfect theater. I sat at the sound board and watched him struggle to get it right. It sounded bad, at least the worst I've ever heard in this place and I've seen many concerts at this theater. I don't want to point any fingers because I wasn't there, but I do know that the guy I saw working Joe's board was not very good. Could I have done better?? Absolutely. I don't think you can get it very good in a place like RAH, but in a small acoustically perfect theater it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully Joe will address the issue which seems to be a problem at many Joe shows. I'm sure he doesn't want his fan's to be bummed out by bad sound and will do whatever he need to do to remedy the problem. Hopefully he will read these posts........

Perhaps he'll sack his sound guy and hire you?:rolleyes:

30 (edited by JaRe 2009-05-06 12:35:46)

I am so proud to say we were there.smile
We even had the change to be at the afterparty in the Cocoon... where Joe came after the show!:P
Spoke to his mom and dad and many others, it was perfect...

Michael thanks for the tickets!
James and Renata from Holland.

See you somewhere soon...

I too thank everyone for the reviews although the generally favourable ones just make it all the more sickening for not being able to attend, particularly with Eric and Paul Jones in attendance. I am a little bit surprised at the adverse comments about the RAH acoustics. I have attended many concerts there (mostly Clapton) and I am aware thar where you actually sit can make a difference to the quality of the sound. I have usually found that the whole RAH atmosphere compensates for just about anything. To all those who were unhappy just remember that there are loads of us who missed the whole experience and would willingly have traded places. I just need Joe to appear here in South Africa as it will save me a whole lot of cost and travel to see him next time in the UK.

hansamike wrote:

Thanks guys for the reviews. I am sure there will be many more coming over the next days. I've been to the RAH quite a few times and for rock & Blues shows the sound can always be iffy. Difficult for them to nail on a one off when the hall is empty. No wonder Clapton plays it multiple nights, he knows it only gets better - soundwise- as they suss out the acoustics.

If I had been there I would be sure to agree with Mitch. Mountain Time is always a high point for me, so as a closer it would have provoked a hair standing moment as well.

It would always be difficult for this gig just to live up to the hype that the forum has given it, but it sounds like it came pretty close. Well done Joe!

Mike H

Joe got a rave review today in The Times (London)...4 out of 5 stars. This is a very big deal!
David Sinclair did say that the sound was "mixed at distressingly high volume" but everything else was superlative. "Bonamassa performed with a combination of searing excellence and showmanship that underlined exactly why he has risen to the top of the most punishing circuit in popular music today."

Well Done JB and congratulations !!!!!!!

Not much to add to the reviews already posted. Joe was in great form as were the rest of the band.

I didn't have any issues with the sound where I was seated (Circle, Row 1, Section X). In fact, I thought the sound was far better than the Sage in Gateshead. I could hear Joe's vocals quite clearly, this time. The horns occasionally clashed with the guitar but, all in all, it was fine. In terms of volume, I've experienced, a lot louder in smaller venues. It very much seems to be a matter of where you were seated.

I'm with Bomber on the two drummers. I didn't really see the need for this as Bogie is quite capable of managing on his own. If they wanted a fuller sound from the drums then the sound guys should have been able to deal with that from one kit. 

That shouldn't detract from the show, though, which was still a great night's entertainment.  Scott McKeown, the support, wasn't bad, either.

Thanks, Joe and the guys, for another cracking show and some great memories.

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

My first time on the forum but my second visit to see Joe play, I saw him for the first time in Bristol last year and thought wow and when the announcement came out about the RAH, I just had to get tickets.  I dragged my dad and my 12 year old nephew to see him.  We were in the arena area B and the sound was fantastic and what a bonus, Eric Clapton and Paul Jones and a glimpse of Robert Plant.  I would like to have has seen my nephew's guitar teacher's face when he told him about it.

I am sorry if not everybody had such a great time, but it was brilliant.  cool

David, I think you'll always get some complaints when it comes to reviews of the RAH. As someone else said, I couldn't believe tickets were sold in the choir section (behind the band). Those flown speakers will only sound good if you're in front of them. Overall though it was a great night regardless. Great for Joe to have achieved what was no doubt a life long ambition, and great for his fans who were there to share it with him.

Eric C is doing something like two weeks at the RAH soon and you'll pay at least twice as much and have half as much fun - in my opinion smile.

Came just home from England (and a day of work). I´m astonished that the main issue seems to be the sound in the RAH. I´ve been in venues with a better sound, I´ve been in venues with better views (I sat row 21 arena but worked my way until a not taken place in row 15), but I´ve never been at a concert with a more impressive athmosphere. It is now 2 days passed but images and shivers of happyness keep coming  up. IT WAS A NEARLY OVERWHELMING EXPERIENCE. Joe and the band were in brilliant form (I liked the two drummers and the horns), we - the audience- were brilliant as well: standing ovation after standing ovation, RAH was impressive and in an old-fashioned manner elegant. And I liked Eric Clapton being the special guest (and not Gary Moore), they played well together. It was great how Joe gave his reverence  to the older generation and Eric acknowledged the younger one.

So, guys, this evening wasn´t about technical perfection. It was a most memorable event in the life of a great artist and a great night for us having the privilege to be part of it.

Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith