Topic: Austin City Limits Festival

Here is a couple of Blog posts I found. Short but to the point.

Now listening to Joe Bonamassa a guitar wizard. I feel like I'm back in the 70's with his sometimes bluesy but always electric rock and roll guitar.

Wow, can Joe play guitar. I will most likely have to catch him on tour one of these days. Joe was the official guitar hero of ACL, and everyone had gotten the memo (it was impossible to get near this stage).
Interestingly enough, the Theremin made another appearance during this show.

Re: Austin City Limits Festival

Joe's post on Facebook said he and the band burned down the stage!

One had to have been there I guess...

Major Tom to ground control...

Give us a link to facebook please. I only recently became myspace savy. That evidently is passe.

RICjunkie wrote:

Joe's post on Facebook said he and the band burned down the stage!

One had to have been there I guess...

Susan and I managed to get very close to the stage right in the middle and Joe is right! They came on right on time and Joe and the band were on fire for the whole set. The crowd was full of people who had heard of him, but never seen him before, so it was great watching their faces as Joe and the band ripped through their short (45 min.) set.

Joe had the crowd in the palm of his hand from the first few licks he did just to test the sound prior to starting the set! He ripped a couple of runs to make sure everything was working, and everyone looked at each other with that look that said "Alright, we're getting ready to see something special here." And we did.

Joe took complete control of the stage from the first note and delivered a masterful performance, both as a showman and musician, and the crowd ate up every second of it. 

The sound was perfect (the ACL people really have their stuff together on live sound).

This one will go down with the HOB Dallas as one of the best Joe shows we've seen. It was cool seeing him in an outdoor, festival atmosphere. Awesome!!!!!

jim m wrote:

Give us a link to facebook please. I only recently became myspace savy. That evidently is passe.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php … amp;ref=nf

I had to try a few times to get in.  They're doing site maintenance I guess.

Joe also changed his location back to LA from Athens and it seems he has a new lady friend in his life.

Facebook is kind of like an online soap opera...

I'm still clearing my lungs from all the dust from the Festival.  Now I know why everyone was wearing bandannas and masks over their faces.  Anyway, we saw a lot of great bands (Joe, our favorite, Blues Traveler, The Raconteurs, Shooter Jennings, and the Foo Fighters).  The Foo Fighters were just great. This was like no other festival I have ever attended. I've never seen anything like it.

We took pictures of Joe's performance and I'll post them when I get back home.   We're still in Austin.  We're heading downtown.  Leaving in the morning.  Love this town!!!

Susan smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

I too was thrilled by the way Joe and the band sounded outdoors.  The numbers Joe chose to perform were perfect for the venue and audience.  I was too far forward to see how far out the crowd stretched but am glad to hear he had a great showing.  He deserves it! And we were all captivated during the entire set!

The Austin Ventures stage on which he performed, while not the biggest, is right in the middle of the park and gets a lot of visits by people that are cruising the Fest for one reason or another.  The timing was great too -- not too many sounds leeching out from the other stages. 

I managed to urge some of the college and recent post-grad kids of friends and co-workers to come to Joe's show.  They were blown away!  Thanks so much to Joe for coming, and don't stay away too long!

Barbara

jim m wrote:

hey jim give me a call got a new phone lost your  contact 253 226**** Patrick

RICjunkie wrote:

Joe also changed his location back to LA from Athens and it seems he has a new lady friend in his life.

Facebook is kind of like an online soap opera...

I noticed that too. Hope it makes for good inspiration!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

It'll probably take me a year to recount everything about that festival, let alone the whole weekend, so I guess I better get started.....

First off.....I LOVE AUSTIN!!!  Everything about that town felt right.....everything.....

The festival is a gas.....I had a BLAST!!!  Aside from the dust, which kinda made you feel like you were a steer on a cattle drive at times, it's a beautiful setting, directly across the river from downtown.....well managed, friendly workers, and a great line up.....

It was like Woodstock with a debit card.....and more stages.....

Joe and the boys simply stunned the entire crowd.  A security guard had told me that the unofficial gate count was 65,000.....and although Joe had a respectable crowd at the stage at the start of the show, I swear to God it seemed like most of the 65,000 were there at the end of the set.  It was amazing to watch sooooo many people coming from all directions to see who the h*ll was burnin' down that stage!!  They were on fire.....and the crowd was in awe.....as was I.....they get better every time I see them..... 

I've resisted saying this for a long time, simply because I don't like to label performers "good, better, best".  But I can't hold it back no mo'.....Joe Bonamassa is the best guitar player on the planet, period.

As I mentioned in another thread, the security guard that I had been talking with said that Joe raised the bar for all future ACL fests.  He wasn't familiar with Joe, but he was working the gate at Joe's trailer, and I kinda hung out there for a while.....it was shady!!  I saw Joe come out of the trailer, so I just shouted "JB", only expecting a wave.  He waved and walked the 20 or 30 yards over to gate.  So now I'm thinkin' "This is cool, I'll get to say hey, and wish him well."  He stayed and talked for easily 20 minutes.....just me, Joe, and the security guard.  Of all the things you would think he would have to do a half hour before he hit the stage, he spent that time talkin' to some schlep from Pittsburgh and a security guard.  I just can't find the right words to describe how cool that was.....

We talked about Watermelon Slim, which I don't think I should print...I complimented him on his new cowboy boots...he told me he had just gotten them a few hours earlier...and just then a guy walks up to the gate and drops a glass of wine, annointing Joe's new boots with 4 ounces of pinot noir.  I don't think I should print any more about that either!  Anyway, I was lookin' to get a pair of boots, so I got directions to Allan's Boots on South Congress from Joe.....pretty cool.

I asked him what he thought about Warren Haynes doin' If Heartaches Were Nickels now, and of course he said, "Well, it IS his song!"  But I mentioned that I had wondered if Warren was doing it now as a nod to Joe's success with it.  Very diplomatically, and humbly, Joe kinda sidestepped the question.....simply saying that they both respected each other's music, and give and take with each other.  I hope to have Warren's answer to that in November.....

Joe was holding the set list, and we talked a bit about that.  He said he loves the way Blues Deluxe is coming off in the gigs, so I'm guessin' that'll be a mainstay for a while!  I told him that his version of Just Got Paid is so freakin' good that it should be considered a controlled substance.....

A little more small talk, and he says "I gotta go, thanks for everything..." and he was on the stage doin' Spike Driver Blues 5 minutes later.  Just an incredible memory.....thanks Joe.....

Jesse, the security guard, who had been part of the converstion the whole time, says to me "So, you're friends with Joe?"  I told him, well.....yes, in a sense, but only from being on the forum for a year, and seeing him occasionally at gigs.  And he sez....."But he just stood here for 20 minutes, talkin' to you like you were his long lost buddy!!"  And I just said, "I know, but that's Joe..."

btw, I left the gate to get a little closer to the stage, and simply told Jesse "Yer in for a treat..."  After the set, I went back to the gate and said "Well??"  I can't print most of what he said.....he was stutterin' expletives.  But that's when he told me that Joe raised the bar for all future ACL fests.  He couldn't believe what he had just seen and heard.....

More later.....I need another nap.....

They're at home still runnin' for bells
Better San Juan
Than that blue collar hell

susan wrote:

I'm still clearing my lungs from all the dust from the Festival.  Now I know why everyone was wearing bandannas and masks over their faces.

Hey Susan...

I finally got around to reading the paper that I got at the hotel Monday morning, and there was a big write up about the festival.  The promoter has pledged $2.5 million to install an irrigation system to correct the dust problem.  Let's just hope we're not walkin' around in mud next year.....

They're at home still runnin' for bells
Better San Juan
Than that blue collar hell

Love the write-up, Jim! Magic! I could just picture you with Joe and the guard, the christened new cowboy boots and all! big_smile

Extremely envious of Amsterdam

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Great experience you had there, and to spend 20 minutes with Joe is pretty amazing. You must have really impressed that guard too. Glad to hear he is enjoying Blues Deluxe and hope it stays in the setlist atleast for five more weeks! I'm guessing it was you rather than Joe that raised the subject of W Slim! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

SRV wrote:

Joe was holding the set list, and we talked a bit about that.  He said he loves the way Blues Deluxe is coming off in the gigs, so I'm guessin' that'll be a mainstay for a while!  I told him that his version of Just Got Paid is so freakin' good that it should be considered a controlled substance.....

Well I hope Joe considers adding those two songs plus "If heartaches were nickles" (ACOUSTIC VERSION PLEASE) and a couple others from HTCT "Reconsider baby" and "Travellin' south" to his sets for the RAH gig if the rumor turns out to be true that the RAH show will be videotaped for his next DVD...

RICjunkie wrote:
SRV wrote:

Well I hope Joe considers adding those two songs plus "If heartaches were nickles" (ACOUSTIC VERSION PLEASE) and a couple others from HTCT "Reconsider baby" and "Travellin' south" to his sets for the RAH gig if the rumor turns out to be true that the RAH show will be videotaped for his next DVD...

Sorry to disagree but the first song he should consider playing fom HTCT it would have to be The River. The other two are great too though smile Agree with Heartaches...

Greenose,
I agree that I'd love to hear The River back in the setlist. Now that Joe and Dave have such a good stage relationship, I'd like to see it done with two guitars. The opening with the National and the rest with the LP. The National on a stand or Dave could help JB switch out during the song.

Would that be cool, or what?

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon