1 (edited by susan 2008-09-28 08:43:32)

Topic: Dallas House of Blues 9/26/08

Wow!  All of Joe's live shows are amazing, but I think we have a new favorite (I know, we say that every time!).We managed to get seats front row center and sat next to David A. and his lovely wife Liz.

The opening band... Back Door Slam.  I now see what all the fuss is about.  They were GREAT...  Unfortunately, there was no jam with Joe, but that didn't take anything away from their great set. They were an excellent choice for an opening act for a Joe crowd. Lots of great guitar playing, singing and good, tight songs.

Now, for Joe. He and the band were on fire last night. Joe commanded the large stage like the star he is. Looking great in his taylored black suit, he looked like he was having a great time giving the large crowd of 1200 the show of their lives. Lots of movement (by both Joe and Carmine), crowd interaction, and above all, of course, superb musicianship. The sound was great, very loud and powerful. Love the theremin, the JB guitar, and Joe's massive killer tone. The only disappointment was no Gigliotti tonight.

By the end of the night, the crowd was out of their seats and we were right up against the stage.  Joe was literally playing and singing almost on top of us. It was especially chilling when he sang the a cappella part of "Asking Around For You".  He received many standing ovations throughout the night.  I looked around at the crowd from time to time and saw many dropped  jaws.  After the final song, Joe introduced the band, then came over to the stage and high fived and shook hands with the fans in the front.  JOE BONAMASSA - ROCK STAR EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!

We met Ed and Jane from Colorado before the show.  A couple of newbies who saw a couple of youtube videos of Joe and decided to come.  We told them they were in for the treat of their lives.  After the show, they came up to us with this look of disbelief and utter shock.  Ed said he had been watching bands his whole life and had never seen anything like that before. He also said they would be back to see him again.

Thanks to David A., this is the set list right off the stage.

BALLAD OF JOHN HENRY (This is what we've previously known as Spike Driver Blues)
BRIDGE TO BETTER DAYS
SO MAN ROADS
MOUNTAIN TIME
ANOTHER KIND OF LOVE
SLOE GIN
HIGHWATER EVERYWHERE
YOUR FUNERAL MY TRIAL
BLUES DELUXE (Yeah Baby... That was awesome)
WOKE UP DREAMING
JUST GOT PAID
----------------------------------------
ONE OF THESE DAYS
ASKING AROUND FOR YOU

Now we are off to the Stafford Center in Houston for the second of our three show Texas Joe tour. David A will be there as well.

Susan & Ken cool

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Re: Dallas House of Blues 9/26/08

Great review Susan.
Can't wait till november.Just 7 weeks now.
Glad you all had such a great time!

Smashing review Susan!  Sounds like you had a most wonderful evening!
    This has really psyched me up for next Wednesday night.   lol

Patty
    P.S.  Your review actually has me giggling.  smile  Have as much fun or even more at the next two
            shows!!!!!!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

What a blazing hot show it was indeed!  His extended intro into Sloe Gin was so sweet but, the Blues Deluxe took on a whole new meaning with its intro. I thought for a minute he was playing an instrumental version of the song. Complete with a blazing (there's that word again) lead break in the intro that sounds similar to the lead in the middle. The best version I've heard in the 6 times I've seen him. 
     For those out there that might think he might have given up a little bit in note quantity(speed) for more quality, I have to tell you he brought it both last night (quantity and quality). He is still "Smokin' Joe Bonamassa"
WoW!

just 'cus half my friends are imaginary doesn't mean I'm less popular

Thank you Susan!!!  A fine review, indeed!!!  So glad you had such a great time - I know it's been a long anticipated happy time for YOU!!!!  Front row center - absolutely as it should be.  Good for you. 

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Great review, pretty spot on from what we saw.

We have a smidge of a differing opinion on the opener, but will explain in another post.

This show was "over" sold, huge rowdy crowd and Joe lit 'em up.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Thanks Susan. I have not had a chance to see Back Door Slam, but I really like their album and I am glad they are getting some good exposure here in the states. I think their album is one of the best debut albums to come out in many years. I really encourage folks to seek it out.

Tom

#275 JB LP

Thanks Susan... a great review. I really hope Joe is still playing Blues Deluxe when he returns here in Nov. Six weeks today!

Tripsy smile

Thanks Susan. Nice to know Ken and you are enjoying your adventure. I'm glad you liked BDS and I hope you got to meet them. It sounds like this show may be hard to match. You've got 2 more...can't wait to hear about them.  Cathy

Thanks Susan!  Ken Have you learned all the new stuff yet?  Bring it to the House. big_smile
I'm grinning like a fool for the first time in weeks (months?)

MuchLove
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

My first time to any HOB. I have seen Joe in Dallas many times though. Joe remarked that the first time in in 2001 or 2 there was less than 100 people there. The sold out crowd was treated to a man posesed. Kickin sound sytem there.

Nice picture of Joe with BDS. Also promise of more details to come...Cathy
   http://www.backdoorslam.com/home.htm

Marianne wrote:

Great review Susan.
Can't wait till november.Just 7 weeks now.
Glad you all had such a great time!

Only 45 more days for us, Marianne..(I need something to count down) big_smile

I echo the general sentiments here, Susan. It sure sounds like y'all had a fabulous time. I'm looking forward to SRV's contribution after he gets back home (and gets some sleep)!

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Great review Susan, thanks! smile

Interesting that Spike Driver Blues is now the Ballad of John Henry!

Five weeks today when I next see the Bonamassa experience for myself! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

bigjeffjones wrote:

Thanks Susan!  Ken Have you learned all the new stuff yet?  Bring it to the House. big_smile
I'm grinning like a fool for the first time in weeks (months?)

MuchLove
BJJ FDOL

Oh, I think I can whip up some "Spike Driver Blues" or "Ballad of John Henry" or whatever Joe decides to call it. Check it out on YouTube.

I thought I'd been treated to the best Joe show yet in Dallas...until I saw the ACL show! All a little different, but all witnessing greatness!

The HOB show was indeed a stellar show.  Joe, Carmine, Bogie and Rick really rocked and it was obvious that they were having a lot fun while playing.  Joe looked really cool, slim and in great playing form.

Nice to see some new songs into the setlist, especially Blues Deluxe, that really picks the show up.  There was a killer solo in Sloe Gin that was amazing by Joe.  First time seeing the theramin in action and Joe uses it in a cool way, very select.

Great to see Susan, Ken, Jim, Phil, Jeanette and others.  Met a lot of folks who never had seen Joe before, and were really impressed. 

Back Door Slam did a nice little short set.  Davy has a lot of talent, but still very young. Not to impressed with the rhythm section.

Music is good for the Soul...

David A. wrote:

The HOB show was indeed a stellar show.  Joe, Carmine, Bogie and Rick really rocked and it was obvious that they were having a lot fun while playing.  Joe looked really cool, slim and in great playing form.

Nice to see some new songs into the setlist, especially Blues Deluxe, that really picks the show up.  There was a killer solo in Sloe Gin that was amazing by Joe.  First time seeing the theramin in action and Joe uses it in a cool way, very select.

Great to see Susan, Ken, Jim, Phil, Jeanette and others.  Met a lot of folks who never had seen Joe before, and were really impressed. 

Back Door Slam did a nice little short set.  Davy has a lot of talent, but still very young. Not to impressed with the rhythm section.

You are very perceptive, David. Great to see you all as well.

'til next time --

Cheers,

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon