1 (edited by Kenny 2016-08-09 03:40:45)

Topic: Ryan McGarvey playing free show in Los Angeles on 13 August

Just announced. Swinghouse Studios. It is being recorded for a future live CD/DVD and admission is free. 8 pm door time.

Re: Ryan McGarvey playing free show in Los Angeles on 13 August

Thanks for the heads-up, Kenny!  I've been wanting to check out Ryan McGarvey-- can't beat a free show!!

Also, Carmine Rojas is on bass!  How cool is that?!

Anyone going?

more info: http://ryanmcgarvey.com/

So much music, so little time!

You won't be disappointed Rufus, believe me. I have to wait until October - have booked him to play my home town.

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-08-10 02:56:27)

Hi Rufus; have to agree with Kenny; you've got to catch Ryan McG while you can, I'd also advise that you stitch your socks to your legs as he'll blow them off; then again, the first time you see/hear him do Mystic Dream live it'll probably take your legs away too....

Can't help but think it's a bit of a strange decision; true there's plenty of Angelinos here have been baying to see Ryan, since he rarely gets a gig outside of home state New Mexico; so maybe its toward raising his profile in the US, but his fan base is in Europe, especially Germany; I'd have thought that would be where to record. If I were really partisan, his October gig at Gateshead Sage would be the place to record, the sound there is great and Ryan's following in "my backyard" is loyal & rowdy.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Rufus; have to agree with Kenny; you've got to catch Ryan McG while you can, I'd also advise that you stitch your socks to your legs as he'll blow them off; then again, the first time you see/hear him do Mystic Dream live it'll probably take your legs away too....

Can't help but think it's a bit of a strange decision; true there's plenty of Angelinos here have been baying to see Ryan, since he rarely gets a gig outside of home state New Mexico; so maybe its toward raising his profile in the US, but his fan base is in Europe, especially Germany; I'd have thought that would be where to record. If I were really partisan, his October gig at Gateshead Sage would be the place to record, the sound there is great and Ryan's following in "my backyard" is loyal & rowdy.

I've got a couple of thoughts on this event. First doing it in L.A. makes sense financially since the L.A. basin has no shortage of audio and video recording professionals. Coming to where they are would seem logical. Second thought is free admission should guarantee a packed house. L.A. is just like the Bay Area with so many entertainment options especially on a Saturday night that a free gig will certainly make for an easy decision, at least it would on my part. Damn I wish he had decided on S.F. instead. Maybe one of these days! Would love to see Carmine again.

Rock On Ryan Mac!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

C'mon Linda - when you can, tell us what like the event was. Please smile

Free in L.A. is an often (or NOT lol) subtle inference designed to give patrons incentive to donate to charity as the entertainers do...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Kenny wrote:

You won't be disappointed Rufus, believe me. I have to wait until October - have booked him to play my home town.

BansheeUK wrote:

I went on Saturday and was Completely Blown Away!!!!!!

THANK YOU Kenny & BansheeUK for the event heads-up & encouragement to go!!!!  I had a long day Saturday and seriously considered just making it a mellow "night in."  But I remembered what you both said here (BansheeUK, your "advice" cracked me up!), so I rallied and made it to the show and am soooo glad I did!!!!

Ryan McGarvey is incredible!!!!!!  Wow, you weren't kidding about Mystic Dream, BansheeUK--socks & legs gone!!!

It was a really cool event.  Small, intimate, great sound (to my non-audiophile ears, anyway), great people.  I enjoyed talking to everyone I met--really neat group of folks.  I even got to meet Ryan McGarvey & his Dad--two fine gentlemen!  Both Ryan & his Dad were warm, friendly & appreciative of everyone being there.  I let them know I found out about the gig from this forum & that there are a lot of big Ryan McG fans here on the JB forum. 

Carmine Rojas was amazing on bass.  I love watching him play.  I met him after the show, as well.  Another fine gentleman!  Nice as could be.

Linda has a couple vids up: (Thank you, Linda!!!)
Prove Myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgq0o6Yw1WY
Texas Special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9ytgeJtbk

Rufus wrote:
Kenny wrote:

BansheeUK wrote:

I went on Saturday and was Completely Blown Away!!!!!!

THANK YOU Kenny & BansheeUK for the event heads-up & encouragement to go!!!!  I had a long day Saturday and seriously considered just making it a mellow "night in."  But I remembered what you both said here (BansheeUK, your "advice" cracked me up!), so I rallied and made it to the show and am soooo glad I did!!!!

Ryan McGarvey is incredible!!!!!!  Wow, you weren't kidding about Mystic Dream, BansheeUK--socks & legs gone!!!

It was a really cool event.  Small, intimate, great sound (to my non-audiophile ears, anyway), great people.  I enjoyed talking to everyone I met--really neat group of folks.  I even got to meet Ryan McGarvey & his Dad--two fine gentlemen!  Both Ryan & his Dad were warm, friendly & appreciative of everyone being there.  I let them know I found out about the gig from this forum & that there are a lot of big Ryan McG fans here on the JB forum. 

Carmine Rojas was amazing on bass.  I love watching him play.  I met him after the show, as well.  Another fine gentleman!  Nice as could be.

Linda has a couple vids up: (Thank you, Linda!!!)
Prove Myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgq0o6Yw1WY
Texas Special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9ytgeJtbk

Hey Rufus; glad you had a great time, and that the night went well for Ryan & Co. Very happy to pass on the recommendation as it was a forum buddy from Germany first tuned my ears to the McGarvey phenomenon. Over the past 3 or so years he's played in to UK, I've seen him play in venues from the back room of a Mexican restaurant (from a distance of 3ft away) to 500 seater halls, and I still think he has 3 hands and 6 fingers on each of them.
Also agree, Ryan & his Pop are good people; very humble and very appreciative of people coming out to se them play and coming over to chat after the show, as were previous regular band mates, Logan the drummer and Sam, the coolest & tallest bass player.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I believe Logan played with Ryan in the L.A. studio show....

pat6put6man wrote:

Logan is back in the band again. Played the European tour in June.

BansheeUK wrote:

and I still think he has 3 hands and 6 fingers on each of them

Ha! Great visual . . . "So that's how he does it!"  smile

BansheeUK wrote:

Also agree, Ryan & his Pop are good people; very humble and very appreciative of people coming out to se them play and coming over to chat after the show, as were previous regular band mates, Logan the drummer and Sam, the coolest & tallest bass player.

pat6put6man wrote:

Kenny wrote:

Yes, Logan was there! Enjoyed chatting with him after the show as well.  (I was going to mention him in my earlier post, but worried I was going on too much, so he got edited out-- sorry, Logan!)  I agree, another great guy--friendly, down to earth, and awesome on drums! I'm pretty sure Ryan said it was the first time the three of them had played together. (Ryan/Carmine/Logan)  It seemed like Logan was "in the band," but for whatever reason he will not be going on this next European tour. 

So envious of all of you across the pond who will get to see Ryan McG, Carmine, & whoever's on drums soon!  I asked if they had any plans to come back to the West Coast, but they don't b/c promoters won't "take the risk" & book them here in the States.  Such a shame!!!  I know I'd only be preaching to the choir, so I won't even start . . . Just really happy I got to see them when I did! big_smile

Rufus wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

pat6put6man wrote:

Kenny wrote:

Yes, Logan was there! Enjoyed chatting with him after the show as well.  (I was going to mention him in my earlier post, but worried I was going on too much, so he got edited out-- sorry, Logan!)  I agree, another great guy--friendly, down to earth, and awesome on drums! I'm pretty sure Ryan said it was the first time the three of them had played together. (Ryan/Carmine/Logan)  It seemed like Logan was "in the band," but for whatever reason he will not be going on this next European tour. 

So envious of all of you across the pond who will get to see Ryan McG, Carmine, & whoever's on drums soon!  I asked if they had any plans to come back to the West Coast, but they don't b/c promoters won't "take the risk" & book them here in the States.  Such a shame!!!  I know I'd only be preaching to the choir, so I won't even start . . . Just really happy I got to see them when I did! big_smile

Christopher Antoine  Hill from Dallas will join Ryan again on drums at the Autumn Tour 2016 like the last European Spring Tour (30 gigs in 10 countries).
Ryan  will play several gigs in Spain for the first time beginning next Wednesday: Sept, 1st. This weekend he will hit Europe  again. Detailed Infos on his homepage.
Ryan will play Bordesholm, Bonn, Losheim am See in Germany and Holland as far as I know: Amersfoort ( The Noot, Hoogland) Sat, Sept, 17 -already sold out and Sun, Sept, 18 - tics availible.
The last one announced as semiacoustic set.

Anna Laura

Yeah. Ryan and Carmine just arrives in Frankfurt and are rehearsing.
Tour kicks off in Spain on September 01st.
Then to France,Germany,Holland,Austria,Switzerland,England,Scotland

Don't miss him:
http://ryanmcgarvey.com/events/