Topic: Rival Sons - "Hollow Bones"

So, I can't say I'm disappointed with the new Rival Sons disc, but I'm also not completely satisfied with this latest effort. First off, There's only 9 songs on the disc and one of them..."Black Coffee" was on the tour version of GWV, so really only 8 new songs. A little slight, but still some good tunes. Love "Tied Up", "Thundering Voices", "Pretty Face", but the slower tunes aren't quite as compelling as their prior ballads. It's a good effort, but I think it was a little rushed. This band is so good, I expect more. Having said that, I'll definitely still be seeing them next time they come around

Murfdog

Re: Rival Sons - "Hollow Bones"

Agree with you, not exactly wow'd by it.  I was anxiously awaiting this release. I like it, but it's not getting played all the time like their early stuff.  Kind of surprised they ended with "All that I want", seemed like they forgot one more song.  It's all good, glad they're releasing new material.  Fortunately I see them in August when they open for Sabbath! 

Jim

Huge fan but I'm not digging it either. Where are all those huge Zep inspired riff intros / hooks that they usually crank out?
With all the touring they've been doing I'm wondering when they had time to record. Is it possible these songs are from prior recording sessions??? And as MD pointed out, releasing Black Coffee on this when it was just released is lame.
Not a strong album at all.

Maybe if we think about this as a long ep, it would be better ! I will most likely be seeing them warm up for Sabbath in September. They played a headline show in between Sabbath gigs a few months ago, and they were just excellent.

Murfdog

5 (edited by gary 2016-06-17 21:53:00)

I like it but need to absorb it a bit first.I do agree with the above comments.I like the songs but there is no great rock track like Pressure and Time or Electric Man in this one
My favorite is the epic Hollow Bones Part 2.
To me  putting on the Cover Song Black Cofee just does fit in with the rest of the album.
I would rather have waited a little longer for fuller album too.
Every review I have read is praising this as their best yet.Are we all missing something here?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Yeah..That's weird, It's not, but I have decided on my favorite track...Thundering Voices...great riff !

gary wrote:

I like it but need to absorb it a bit first.I do agree with the above comments.I like the songs but there is no great rock track like Pressure and Time or Electric Man in this one
My favorite is the epic Hollow Bones Part 2.
To me  putting on the Cover Song Black Cofee just does fit in with the rest of the album.
I would rather have waited a little longer for fuller album too.
Every review I have read is praising this as their best yet.Are we all missing something here?

Murfdog

the band are great, but like The Temperance Movement they have an awful record company... Sounds harsh, but no coincidence that both of these amazing bands have far less popularity than they deserve and both recently released weaker albums... Just my opinion.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Very disappointed with this release. Why on earth did the record company sanction it? Makes no sense to me.

Kenny wrote:

Very disappointed with this release. Why on earth did the record company sanction it? Makes no sense to me.

because I think that the record company are the problem Kenny, - same with TTM. Ar5e and elbow......? wink

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

I'm glad people are being so honest with this. It's very average but I knew it was going to be hard to follow up GWV which when all is said and done may end up being their best work. With all of the touring I really don't know how they had time to put a real album together.

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017

fett2112 wrote:

I'm glad people are being so honest with this. It's very average but I knew it was going to be hard to follow up GWV which when all is said and done may end up being their best work. With all of the touring I really don't know how they had time to put a real album together.

As far as I know, the recording process was exactly the same. 6 weeks in the studio and songs initiated there. Its a very weak album compared to GWV - I didn't expect them to top it but still thought it would be a quality release. Sadly it isn't.

I would not count these guys out if they stay together.
Even though I am a bit disappointed in Hollow Bones there are some good to great moments.
It seems like they are trying to do some different things to their credit.Its just that it's some songs are just not quite there.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

There is no way I will give up on them Gary - been seeing them for 5 years. However, these songs seem unfinished and going nowhere.

I think GWV was always going to be a tough one to follow, - I was there at the gig where they launched it (thanks to David Curryman) , - to come out and play 3 or 4 songs from the start that the majority pf people in the place had never heard before was brave, but it worked because from the first note of each song they were amazing. One of my best gigs ever - opening song: https://youtu.be/yftGCe2zoVc

I agree with you guys, there's some good tracks on the new album, "Tied Up" is my fav. I was so hyped for the release, and it fell short, I'm hoping they'll redeem themselves with the next one. Also, I saw them in Budapest last month and I was stunned, such a great live band!

"I may not believe in myself, but I believe in what I'm doing" - Jimmy Page

Keep wanting to grab it but the vinyl doesn't appear to have a download code. I'm debating between cd or vinyl since most of my listening is done in the car. Wish all vinyl had download codes nowadays.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.