Topic: NPD - Vemuram Jan Ray

Couple days ago, I bought the Vemuram Jan Ray. i was looking for a clean to mild overdrive boost and received many suggestions. After testing the Jan Ray, I really fell in love with that pedal. It's such a beautiful organic sound...

I've recorded a little clip with my Two Rock amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpl54rCNKC4

2 (edited by NickelWound 2016-06-13 22:49:10)

Re: NPD - Vemuram Jan Ray

I liked your video clip and great playing as always. Around 3:03 you get the exact tone from John Mayer's song 'Vultures' which is pretty cool. I would have liked to hear it on the neck pickup as well. Pretty nice pedal with really nice articulation. Not muddy at all. I have never heard of this pedal maker so now I have to check them out. Thanks for posting this.

NickelWound wrote:

I liked your video clip and great playing as always. Around 3:03 you get the exact tone from John Mayer's song 'Vultures' which is pretty cool. I would have liked to hear it on the neck pickup as well. Pretty nice pedal with really nice articulation. Not muddy at all. I have never heard of this pedal maker so now I have to check them out. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for you feedback. The "Vultures" tone came totally unintentional :-) I rarely use the the neck position or the bridge position, because they sound kinda harsh to me - that's why I prefer the in between positions.

The Jan Ray is a nice pedal. It is one that has been used by Matt Schofield stacked with his Free The Tone MS-SOV.

RichardH wrote:

The Jan Ray is a nice pedal. It is one that has been used by Matt Schofield stacked with his Free The Tone MS-SOV.

I've heard about Matt using it, but couldn't find any proof so far. I've owned the Free The Tone SOV-2, not Matt's signature pedal. It was really nice, and thinking about it now, makes me wonder, why I've sold it. It would have paired excellently with the Jan Ray.

Jimi75 wrote:
RichardH wrote:

I've heard about Matt using it, but couldn't find any proof so far. I've owned the Free The Tone SOV-2, not Matt's signature pedal. It was really nice, and thinking about it now, makes me wonder, why I've sold it. It would have paired excellently with the Jan Ray.

Doesn't get any more official than Matt's own website: http://www.mattschofield.com/gear/

Once I'm in a position to start spending again, I think I might have to give one a try out along with my Providence SOV-2...

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Don't believe Matt is using Jan Ray any longer, I believe he's got a Mad Professor pedal in it's spot.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Matt Schofield at the Lichfield Blues & Jazz Festival yesterday evening. The Jan Ray was back in the line-up alongside the Royal Blue and, of course, the SOV.

I've played my first gig with the Jan Ray yesterday - it was the only pedal between me and my amp. The sound was unbelievable.

I've played my first gig with the Jan Ray yesterday - it was the only pedal between me and my amp. The sound was unbelievable. The pedal synergizes with the Two Rock in a beautiful way.

I currently stack my MS-SOV with an Okko Diablo Gain+ and it gives excellent tone into my 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue but I have to admit I am tempted to get a Jan Ray.

RichardH wrote:

I currently stack my MS-SOV with an Okko Diablo Gain+ and it gives excellent tone into my 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue but I have to admit I am tempted to get a Jan Ray.

That's a nice lineup. I've also tested the Okko which is a very nice pedal, but in the end the JR gave me goosebumps. I kind of regret selling my SOV-2 - I'm sure it would have added perfectly to the groundbreaking sound of the Vemuram.

Jimi75 wrote:

I've played my first gig with the Jan Ray yesterday - it was the only pedal between me and my amp. The sound was unbelievable. The pedal synergizes with the Two Rock in a beautiful way.

Nothing says you love us more than a video of your band big_smile