1 (edited by Parasite68 2015-11-26 07:02:38)

Topic: Joe live in New Orleans

Hello everyone,

I am not going to relist the set list as it is the same for the last two shows.  Instead, I will try to give you my thoughts through the eyes that experienced his first Joe performance live.

Venue:  the Saenger theatre is one of the oldest in the city, even in the country.  When it was first built years ago, it was built for sound.  Katrina destroyed it, but a major overhaul was done to bring it back to the original beautiful glorious state that it once was. 
Joe and the band sounded fantastic,  highlights for me were Oh Beautiful, Sloe Gin, John Henry, and a duel between the guitar and the keyboard at the end of the encore.

The band:  they were on fire!  We did the meet and greet and I mentioned to Joe that I saw Clapton last year and he was disappointing, flat, had no energy and dialed his performance in.  Joe asked where I saw him and I explained it was the Jazz fest here in New Orleans.  He kinda chuckled and I told him he needs to play our jazz fest.  He got excited and said he'd love to but he's never been invited.  I told him that I would take the task on with phone calls and emails to people I met that are higher ups that I met working at guitar center!  Joe was in great spirits, talked with everyone.  I got my Bonamassa gold top and Pelham blue guitars signed along wth other stuff such as ticket stubs and 8x10's they were selling for 5 bucks for his blues charity.
Performance, stage design, and overall show review.
Let me start by saying that I've seen just about every band since the 70's from Aerosmith, Chicago, journey, foreigner, KISS, the Rolling Stones, all the way to ZZ Top.  Some of those shows, I've walked away saying that was the best show I'd ever seen.  Last night was different, after Joe and the boys took their final bows at 10:23pm New Orleans time and the house lights came on.  I did something along with my girlfriend that I have never done:  we actually sat in our seats for a good 20 minutes and finally turned to each other, mouths still wide open, and said in unison "that was the best show we have ever seen!"  The sound was tremendous but what made that performance so special was Joes passion for performance and perfection.  I play guitar myself, but after last night I realize and appreciate every chord change, ever string bend, and the ability to use the pentatonic scales to your advantage.

He truly is the best guitar player I've been in the same room with.  Do yourself a favor , pony up, get the Tour de Force gift set with the tickets and meet and greets!  You won't be disappointed.  I think I mentioned it earlier but last night was my first live show seeing him and I feel honored to have been able to witness the new king of guitars in my hometown!

"There's a hard life for every silver spoon, there's a touch of grey for every shade of blue.  That's the way that I see life.  If there was nothing wrong, then there'd be nothing right." - Brent Smith
"The blues aint nothing but a good man feeling bad". Leon Redbone

Re: Joe live in New Orleans

One more thing.  Joe shared his Jeopardy Story abut Alex Tribec and it was  retry funny story!

"There's a hard life for every silver spoon, there's a touch of grey for every shade of blue.  That's the way that I see life.  If there was nothing wrong, then there'd be nothing right." - Brent Smith

Sounds like it was really great.  I've got Tour de Force tickets for Reno in April and I'm counting the days!  I love Joe's passion!

4 (edited by Parasite68 2015-11-26 07:09:32)

leanne wrote:

Sounds like it was really great.  I've got Tour de Force tickets for Reno in April and I'm counting the days!  I love Joe's passion!

You won't be disappointed. That's how I got my passes... Through Tour de Force!  Awesome seats by the way!

A bit of advice. I know it seems like an eternity until your show comes up.
When your day does arrive, try to make a day it of it without work.  Soak it all in!  Make sure you're where your supposed to be at the time they tel you for your wristband and you'll be just fine!  Most of all, have fun and take it all in.

Glad you enjoyed the show, we had a blast at our sixth Joe concert and like you said, the band was on fire, best show of them all. I do miss Tal and Carmine but the band just gelled, perfection...

I remember you, we were discussing where to have the guitar signed, where did you have him sign them? Hopefully the pick guard but it was up to you but here was my conversation with him..

The meet and greet was unreal and surreal all the same time, out walks Joe and I tried to remain composed ( I did ) I had my 2011 JB Epiphone Goldtop and Tour De Force Marshall amp box set for him to sign. I had something to say to him but talking about the guitar became the topic at hand, I held it up and told him I had been agonizing about where I wanted him to sign it, I wanted a more complete signature and was considering the body but I had read where he doesn't like signing them there, to which he replied well it essentially ruins the guitar to sign it on the body so I told him if I could get a more complete signature he could sign the pick guard. I held it out and watched him really take his time, I saw him write a  J then B and then he slowly finished out onamassa. I couldn't be more happy with my decision, it really is stunning.
Next up was the Tour De Force Box set and four 8x10's for Keeping The Blues Alive Foundation for Christmas gifts
(one for me of course!) and off we went.

Oh, and we got our meet and greets from buying a litho, Carmelita, that hanging on the wall next top the signed Goldtop makes me very happy!

6 (edited by Parasite68 2015-11-25 23:14:17)

I

newbonafan wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the show, we had a blast at our sixth Joe concert and like you said, the band was on fire, best show of them all. I do miss Tal and Carmine but the band just gelled, perfection...

I remember you, we were discussing where to have the guitar signed, where did you have him sign them? Hopefully the pick guard but it was up to you but here was my conversation with him..

The meet and greet was unreal and surreal all the same time, out walks Joe and I tried to remain composed ( I did ) I had my 2011 JB Epiphone Goldtop and Tour De Force Marshall amp box set for him to sign. I had something to say to him but talking about the guitar became the topic at hand, I held it up and told him I had been agonizing about where I wanted him to sign it, I wanted a more complete signature and was considering the body but I had read where he doesn't like signing them there, to which he replied well it essentially ruins the guitar to sign it on the body so I told him if I could get a more complete signature he could sign the pick guard. I held it out and watched him really take his time, I saw him write a  J then B and then he slowly finished out onamassa. I couldn't be more happy with my decision, it really is stunning.
Next up was the Tour De Force Box set and four 8x10's for Keeping The Blues Alive Foundation for Christmas gifts

Oh, and we got our meet and greets from buying a litho, Carmelita, that hanging on the wall next top the signed Goldtop makes me very happy!

Yeah I had him sign the bodies of both my guitars... He personalized my gold top "to Brian, Play it loud!!! And then signed his full name on the gold top and Pelham blue!
I'm still on cloud nine!  We did the 8x10's too, bought four of them.  I explained to him that we caught Clapton last year and he asked me where.  I told him it was at Jazzfest and also told him that Clapton played a very uninspiring, flat set that the crowd only responded to cocaine at the end.  Joe chuckled at this and I told him he needs to get over to the JazzFest to play it and he told me that the NO Jazzfest has never invited him to appear.  I told him I'm personally making phone calls after thanksgiving to see what I can get done. So all street team members.... If you're looking for an opportunity, this is it!  Our Jazzfest down here is like the super bowl of music across the planet!  Let's get him here!

It's almost 24 hours since he left the stage and I haven't slept yet... Yes, Joe Bonanmassa is that good! smile

Parasite68 wrote:

I

newbonafan wrote:

Yeah I had him sign the bodies of both my guitars... He personalized my gold top "to Brian, Play it loud!!! And then signed his full name on the gold top and Pelham blue!
I'm still on cloud nine!  We did the 8x10's too, bought four of them.  I explained to him that we caught Clapton last year and he asked me where.  I told him it was at Jazzfest and also told him that Clapton played a very uninspiring, flat set that the crowd only responded to cocaine at the end.  Joe chuckled at this and I told him he needs to get over to the JazzFest to play it and he told me that the NO Jazzfest has never invited him to appear.  I told him I'm personally making phone calls after thanksgiving to see what I can get done. So all street team members.... If you're looking for an opportunity, this is it!  Our Jazzfest down here is like the super bowl of music across the planet!  Let's get him here!

It's almost 24 hours since he left the stage and I haven't slept yet... Yes, Joe Bonanmassa is that good! smile

Yes Joe is that good at guitar and even better as a person.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

8 (edited by Parasite68 2015-11-26 07:32:45)

As I mentioned before, I also play the guitar and I've been fortunate to be in bands and play for people up on stage.  It is an honor and a privilege I don't take lightly. It's not easy playing guitar, if it were, everybody would do it.  I just have to tip my hat to Joe one last time.  Each generation since Hendrix has had their fair share of guitar greats... Hendrix, Jeff Beck, BB King, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eddie Van Halen, the list goes on.  Even though some of those guitarists I just mentioned didn't play the same genre of music, they were all game changers to the way the guitar was played.  They each gave a little something to add to the dynamics of getting incredible sounds that enhance the listeners experience.

Joe has found a way to tap into each of those legendary players best contributions to the instrument, and not only make it his own, but actually add his own contributions to the craft, making him into a Guitar Titan.  The term Guitar God would actually be an insult to him.  He's that phenomenal!
smile

This was our last show of the Fall tour and I think we have probably been spoiled by the front row seats we had at other more recent shows. When you are in the front, you fortunately don't have to deal with all the annoying behavior of all those seated behind you. Joe and the band's performance was exemplary as usual but at this show we were about 9 rows back, right on the aisle and because of this our view was constantly being blocked for various reasons. There were those who sauntered in 4 songs late with their drinks in hand and then stood for what seemed like 5 minutes as they tried to locate their proper seats. Then there were those who constantly felt the need to get up, go out and get a drink and then consequentially had to get up again to use the bathroom. And then there were those who believe themselves "Special" and waltz towards the front and then plant themselves smack in the middle of the aisle and try to take a photo with their phone. A photo that looks just as crappy from that position at it would have from their seat. I finally lost it with this particular individual because he did this right during Joe's solo on "Double Trouble" and block my view of not only Joe, but the entire right side of the stage. I got out of my seat, went up to him, asked him to please move and when he didn't, I physically tried to move him off to the side. Not an easy task since he was three times larger than me. He uttered some retort about how he was only standing there for 3 minutes. 3 MINUTES! That's the entire length of the solo!! When he finally walked back to his seat he glared at me as he passed by. Then during "John Henry" when Joe beckoned for everyone to stand up, 2/3rds of the way through the song, the woman behind me grabbed the back of my sweater and forced me to sit down because she no longer wanted to stand and therefore couldn't see. So needless to say it was a rather frustrating night. The sound was very good from our location and if you can manage with the black blobs that appear from time to time in the videos I did manage to take, you will see what a wonderful performance it was. "Oh Beautiful" was the only song in which I had no obstructions and Joe's rendition of it was absolutely stellar. We took one of Phil's clients to this show and he really enjoyed it. He was like, "Man that guy knows how to play guitar!" Yup, that he does wink

Never Make Your Move Too Soon https://youtu.be/0kvg5lDrpSY

Angel of Mercy https://youtu.be/H3LdBIgwOGc

Hey Baby/Oh Beautiful https://youtu.be/KS6p37HQQKw

Happier Times https://youtu.be/w0cUQhEDvqE

Trouble Town https://youtu.be/LLFa9K1F0vs

Going Down https://youtu.be/1HXk1lWv9Sk

I Gave Up Everything For You https://youtu.be/a07_tiMjNX8

Love Ain't A Love Song https://youtu.be/afJrpwauseQ

Ballad of John Henry https://youtu.be/q2XeUwjN05M

nmagcorn wrote:

This was our last show of the Fall tour and I think we have probably been spoiled by the front row seats we had at other more recent shows. When you are in the front, you fortunately don't have to deal with all the annoying behavior of all those seated behind you. Joe and the band's performance was exemplary as usual but at this show we were about 9 rows back, right on the aisle and because of this our view was constantly being blocked for various reasons. There were those who sauntered in 4 songs late with their drinks in hand and then stood for what seemed like 5 minutes as they tried to locate their proper seats. Then there were those who constantly felt the need to get up, go out and get a drink and then consequentially had to get up again to use the bathroom. And then there were those who believe themselves "Special" and waltz towards the front and then plant themselves smack in the middle of the aisle and try to take a photo with their phone. A photo that looks just as crappy from that position at it would have from their seat. I finally lost it with this particular individual because he did this right during Joe's solo on "Double Trouble" and block my view of not only Joe, but the entire right side of the stage. I got out of my seat, went up to him, asked him to please move and when he didn't, I physically tried to move him off to the side. Not an easy task since he was three times larger than me. He uttered some retort about how he was only standing there for 3 minutes. 3 MINUTES! That's the entire length of the solo!! When he finally walked back to his seat he glared at me as he passed by. Then during "John Henry" when Joe beckoned for everyone to stand up, 2/3rds of the way through the song, the woman behind me grabbed the back of my sweater and forced me to sit down because she no longer wanted to stand and therefore couldn't see. So needless to say it was a rather frustrating night. The sound was very good from our location and if you can manage with the black blobs that appear from time to time in the videos I did manage to take, you will see what a wonderful performance it was. "Oh Beautiful" was the only song in which I had no obstructions and Joe's rendition of it was absolutely stellar. We took one of Phil's clients to this show and he really enjoyed it. He was like, "Man that guy knows how to play guitar!" Yup, that he does wink

I watched a couple and noticed all the people walking in front of you!  That would have really pissed me off too!

nmagcorn wrote:

I know what you mean. My seats were about 15 rows back dead center 5 yard line.  including the from row.  People are annoying. I agree with you about OH Beautiful.  That was a big highlight for me along with Sloe Gin and John Henry.  I saw those goofballs you mentioned in the front row. At one point they all had their backs to the stage and wet just gazing at the crowd.  I too was annoyed by them.  I also had a 60 something that kept raising her hand and swaying it like she was in church.  I had my iPhone which I managed to get good shots with it but her hand wound u in most of them.  After the show I asked her for her photo, and she wanted to know why?  I explained that out of 200 pics that I took, she ruined about 70! smile

Parasite68 wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

I know what you mean. My seats were about 15 rows back dead center 5 yard line.  including the from row.  People are annoying. I agree with you about OH Beautiful.  That was a big highlight for me along with Sloe Gin and John Henry.  I saw those goofballs you mentioned in the front row. At one point they all had their backs to the stage and wet just gazing at the crowd.  I too was annoyed by them.  I also had a 60 something that kept raising her hand and swaying it like she was in church.  I had my iPhone which I managed to get good shots with it but her hand wound u in most of them.  After the show I asked her for her photo, and she wanted to know why?  I explained that out of 200 pics that I took, she ruined about 70! smile

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Seeing so many shows, Tash and Phil get the gamut.
Nice quip Parasite!
Thanks for plugging on and sharing what you get my pals.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I just find it from my friend that works at Guitar Center New Orleans that Joe showed up at the store, hung out, played a bunch of guitars, signed autographs for everyone there and they said he was very personable.  I used to work there years ago and it's less than a mile from my house!  Still glad I did the meet and greet! smile

Parasite68 wrote:

I just find it from my friend that works at Guitar Center New Orleans that Joe showed up at the store, hung out, played a bunch of guitars, signed autographs for everyone there and they said he was very personable.  I used to work there years ago and it's less than a mile from my house!  Still glad I did the meet and greet! smile

Always the best place now to meet Joe the day of the show if they set up in time. Just head down to the local git shop that has some vintage stuff in stock and hang out. It's his passion. Checking out cool stuff and geeking out with fellow guitar nerds.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Some photos from the show
https://www.flickr.com/photos/anitrasda … 1792193655

nmagcorn wrote:

Nice!  Thanks!

nmagcorn wrote:

Thanks!