Topic: New amp choices, help needed.

So I made a post a while back about achieving Joe's Borderline strat tone, and all fingers pointed to me getting a new amp as the Hot Rod Deluxe is either too clean or too dirty, unable to get the "on the edge of breakup" sound. So...

I've narrowed it down to a couple of amps: The Marshall Vintage Modern and the Vox AC30C2 (w/ Greenbacks).  I tried the vox the other day and, being a massive Rory Gallagher fan, thought it was pretty awesome.  However I am slightly worried about the headroom, as I am a big Fuzz Face user.  Would it get too compressed? 

I haven't been able to try a VM yet as they're hard to track down, but the 50 watt head is greatly appealing to me.  Anyone have experience?  And if so what cab would be good?

I'm effectively after a thick, very slightly distorted tone which cleans up with the volume control, and then use the effects on that.  Ideally I'd have a high and low wattage amp paired together, with the FF in the high watter and both running all the time, but I'm not made of money.

Thanks again guys.

Strat (EJ wiring) & Tele > JH Fuzz face > JH1D wah >  TS808 > TU3 > DSL50(1936 cab) > DL4 (in the loop)

Re: New amp choices, help needed.

As far as the Vox and Fuzzface compression question is concerned, it will all depend how you set the pedal and the amp. The AC30 can be quite clean and chimey, so I don't see a huge problem. The only thing that is sort of not clear to me is that the tone you are using as a reference comes from EL34 tubes and EL84s in most amps (unless it was designed as a low wattage marshall) will sound different. Also, I find AC30s to be picky with what kind of pedals they work well with.

The vintage modern are great amps, and I think, will get you closer. The dual gain knobs should allow you to dial the right amount of grit in. One thing to keep in mind is that JB runs the amps pretty loud. A lot of the tone you hear comes from the power tubes working hard and not so much preamp tubes.

Another thing with JB's sound is the choice of speaker. Can't remember if the Borderline "era" was still using EV speakers (300 watts each) or if it was during his "return to vintage marshall cabs with greenbacks" period. Someone here will be able to clarify.

I still think that some patience, saving money, and selling some gear, then purchasing a Silver Jubilee or a clone in combo format with a EV speaker will still be your best bet. Then put a regular tubescreamer and a fuz face, and you will be in JB land. It took me years to figure this out and near bankruptcy. If I had been pateint and bought the "right" gear for what I wanted to hear, it would have saved me lots of financial grief, and avoided the perennial gear musical chairs.

Another thing is to change the speaker on the Fender amp you have, buy a sound shield (so you can crank the clean channel) and with a tube screamer and fuzz face it should get you there. Also you can get excellent results with the hotrods and an upgraded tube set. Michael Landau uses those hot rod amps live and he sounds killer. I think he only upgraded the speakers.

Here is a guy who sells a variety of recipes of tubes to get different tones out of your hotrod amp:

http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewC … ategory=94

Also, Fender amps are usually cold biased. You may want to just upgrade tubes, speaker, and have the amp properly biased.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

Marshall Silver Jubilee reissues just came out again too. Combo that with your hotroddeluxe and you should be good. EV's for speakers cool
Hotrod amps are too bright for me, but combined with a Jub should thicken it up.

Right now Joe plays twins combo'd with bassmans which is generally the same as his Marshall/dumble setup as far as tone.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Marshall Silver Jubilee reissues just came out again too. Combo that with your hotroddeluxe and you should be good. EV's for speakers cool
Hotrod amps are too bright for me, but combined with a Jub should thicken it up.

Right now Joe plays twins combo'd with bassmans which is generally the same as his Marshall/dumble setup as far as tone.

Witch one represent dumble and marshall of the two amps??? Bassman and twin i mean

You cant compare Jimmy Page with God. I mean he's cool and all, but he's no Jimmy Page!!

5 (edited by petew 2015-04-22 13:05:39)

If you're after the Borderline tone, I'd say just get a Jubillee, the reissue, a clone.  or maybe even a JCM800/DSL2000.

I don't know what a Vintage Modern sounds like, but I'd fear that a vox might not be in the same tonal area.

mrwarensemble wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Witch one represent dumble and marshall of the two amps??? Bassman and twin i mean

That would be the twin,  I'm led to believe that high power twins are the basis of the Dumble ODS's.

Marshalls were based on the Fender Bassman. I'd guess the twins were like Dumble tones.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Finally a demo of the 15W Silver Jubs from mojotone, signature amp from Alex Lifeson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQLrowjpQQ

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

Hi there - have a Marshall vintage modem 50w head for sale with a great 2x12 cab. I think the cab makes a big difference - it is oversized so more of a 4x12 feel.
Let me know if you're interested. Cheers

Gibson Les Paul Traditonal 2012, Washburn WP80 1989, 2007 Fender American Series Tele, 1984 Marshall jcm800 4104, 2001 Marshall DSL 201, 1977 Fender Champ