Topic: Muddy Wolf Live DVD review

Okay....so just got through watching this and, I could go on and on like I usually do, but instead, how about a 3 word review........"JOE ON FIRE".....nuff said,,,thoughts?

Murfdog

Re: Muddy Wolf Live DVD review

We have come to expect Joe to raise the bar every time we see him and every time he exceeds expectation.  It was phenomenal.
I loved the history of Joe and Kevin's Excellent Journey.  The whole production gave depth, not only to blues music, but, to what makes Joe tick.  I have been a Joe fan for the last 7 years and the more I learn about him, his family, the people he surrounds himself with, Roy, Kevin and the unbelievable musicians, the more hooked I get.  Which is not necessarily a good thing...he gets half my paycheck as it is.  Damn bobble heads and beach towels.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

bobkatmsu wrote:

We have come to expect Joe to raise the bar every time we see him and every time he exceeds expectation.  It was phenomenal.
I loved the history of Joe and Kevin's Excellent Journey.  The whole production gave depth, not only to blues music, but, to what makes Joe tick.  I have been a Joe fan for the last 7 years and the more I learn about him, his family, the people he surrounds himself with, Roy, Kevin and the unbelievable musicians, the more hooked I get.  Which is not necessarily a good thing...he gets half my paycheck as it is.  Damn bobble heads and beach towels.

I share your sentiments on virtually every comment you made (haven't got bit by the collectibles bug yet).  I loved the interview in the museum.  Both the woman that gave them the tour and Joe were both a little shy and awkward toward each other.  It's those moments, when you see him as just another guy, that I love the best.

Another 3 word review...."Red Rocks Rocked !!"......Seriously....If this place was made of wood....Joe woulda done burnt it down !!
....And you're right... Joe and Roy and their great crew have created an incredibly high quality experience for all of us...Very accessible and down to earth...done several promos, met him several times...always humble and an incredibly nice guy...In May I will see him for the 14th and 15th time...and I know there are several people on this site, that make me look like a beginner !!

Murfdog

I love the Dvd´s.
The sound is great and the location is monumental.
BUT...
...why are there no subtitles for the Docu???
It´s interesting, but it´s hard to follow, if english is not your native language!
It´s the same thing on EVERY (Bonamassa) Dvd - I can follow Joe and Kevin, but others ...

6 (edited by RickB 2015-03-25 10:22:20)

Thanks for the reviews folks. It was another gig of a lifetime for us, Joe just keeps doing those. I can't wait for 3Kings to provide another.
I broke down and got the pin and cd/br on order yesterday. I'd been hanging fire to wait for the moment to strike. The memories of the live gig and my own live recording have kept the fires to buy damped a bit. (any that want an mp3 copy of that send me a PM with an email address to send the cloud link to for download) The pin will go on the memento "rock on a plaque" I made sitting in the shrine. The cd and br will be shared with those friends that were unable to attend, but will pale in comparison to what went down that day. I saw some out of focus shots of me and the wife sitting in front of Joe on the PBS and Palladia airings, so it will be fun looking for other Bonabuds that were around us in the crowd. The bonus vid of the trip in the vintage chevy will be icing on the cake.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

7 (edited by Beachpotato 2015-03-26 13:20:03)

Thanks to Youtube videos by Nastasha, check out 1AnitrasDance  she has the best video's ever. She must have gone to every concert in the last 10 years of his career. I was ready to order the ''Wolf'' DVD and then last night on Paladia they had an hour preview. I ordered 2 so I could give to a friend. Keeping the blues alive... Thanks Joe and Kevin.

One of the best...if not the best of all his live stuff...The venue, the song selection....Must have been an incredible experience for you to see it live....I am so jealous. Joe's shows are always good, but every now and then they go from being good to being one of those "moments"....This must have been one of those shows !!

RickB wrote:

Thanks for the reviews folks. It was another gig of a lifetime for us, Joe just keeps doing those. I can't wait for 3Kings to provide another.
I broke down and got the pin and cd/br on order yesterday. I'd been hanging fire to wait for the moment to strike. The memories of the live gig and my own live recording have kept the fires to buy damped a bit. (any that want an mp3 copy of that send me a PM with an email address to send the cloud link to for download) The pin will go on the memento "rock on a plaque" I made sitting in the shrine. The cd and br will be shared with those friends that were unable to attend, but will pale in comparison to what went down that day. I saw some out of focus shots of me and the wife sitting in front of Joe on the PBS and Palladia airings, so it will be fun looking for other Bonabuds that were around us in the crowd. The bonus vid of the trip in the vintage chevy will be icing on the cake.
Rick

Murfdog

I sure hope they will be recording the 3 Kings shows, for those of us who aren't near one of the venues. If history is any indication, it looks like the odds are good.

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

I believe they are recording at The Greek Theatre in LA for the 3 Kings Tour! smile

jddarden wrote:

I sure hope they will be recording the 3 Kings shows, for those of us who aren't near one of the venues. If history is any indication, it looks like the odds are good.

A review from the UK.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/190532/9

Gotta get that DVD - Today!!!

Yet again J&R with Kevin Shirley Phillipe Klose and The Whole DVD Team have produced an expansive looking film.

The Bonus DVD, i suggest you play first to get the feel of the journey towards Red Rocks
which captures the essence of Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf from Mississippi & The Deep South, they're own adventures in the 1950's re tred by Joe and Kevin to see where they come from and their own roots and routes playing the blues through the delta, its fascinating music history documented right there from meeting places and people who somehow are part of the life of the blues, i won't give away too much but there is a wonderful final chapter at The Original Crossroads

The Live Show at Red Rock is interspliced with Muddy & Wolf sequences holding on the that wonderful American Musical History and Blues from that place.
Joe has picked a band that are so perfect for that venue and style, it just swings The Blues from The 50's to 2014 with a clever big band feel with an equally slick modern day twist, " A la Blues 21st Century" Joe's vocals adapt to the songs so good and pure with an old style twang yet retaining his own spin on the timeless tunes, His Guitar work is as frenetic as ive ever seen, his soloing is million MPH and on point but with some Delicious 50's type rhythm guitaring too, just listen to "I Can't Be Satisfied" and "All Aboard"  he and the band structure the songs so well retaining the melody but putting that Joe Bonamassa Sheen on them so well, with punchy horns and harp and Michael Rhodes really bopping those bass strings, incredible player and intense with the music, Kirk Fletcher with some beautiful Rhythm fills to keep the pace and feel true, Anton Fig on Drums is just so awesome, so perfect how he can slip 1950's type drumming in and on milisecond every hi hat, snare and bass drum is just so so timeless and true, he is the star in some ways, keeping everything authentic, then theres Reese Wynans probably quite easily the best blues keyboard ever to grace this earth, he explodes with jazzy bluesey runs that authenticate that feel of Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf and you can see he lives and breathes and nobody is enjoying that stage more and thats great to see, Reese is a Legend and Joe has captured a Legend and brought him to life with his own twist, Love seeing Reese go off on his own crazy keyboard runs, it is just incredible.

The show captured at Red Rocks is another superbly staged show with tight arrangements and Joe at the top of his vocal and guitar game and always in front of cameras he turns out a 11 performance, he loves a camera now, and loves nothing better than to play the blues these days from catologues of historic American music icons with a band behind him that is so in tune with the music too, not on stage for pay but for love, they all love that music era so much, you can see the Boogie Blues and Burning Ballads.

This is Right up there with Royal Albert Hall, Acoustic in Vienna & The Borderline show, for sheer Grandeur and Homage to The Blues

It is Joe Bonamassa doing what he loves, Just Playing The Blues

.............. Michael

my personal faves

JOE AT THE CROSSROAD WITH Mr MAGEE   ( Very Fitting & Humbling )

I CAN'T BE SATISFIED         love the slide and feel
YOU SHOOK ME                  solo is just insanely good
DOUBLE TROUBLE               solo is way way off The Scale
MY HOME IS ON THE DELTA    one of the show stealers, love it so much
ALL ABOARD                        one of my faves, love the boogie, its just great
KILLING FLOOR                   this is just brilliant
EVIL                                   great riff and feel
ALL NIGHT BOOGIE             my fave along with All Aboard, hope it stays in the set,
SLOE GIN                           solo of the night and Best Sloe Gin ever, this is so so Brilliant
BALLAD OF JOHN HENRY     toughest version ever, so so heavy and awesome middle part

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

After another viewing I am now convinced that Joe IS the new King of the Blues...He has been getting closer and closer to what my friends and I refer to as the "Gary Moore Gold Standard" and this release is the closest thing we've seen...and, of course, he also really just rocks the thing hard.....Epic, folks !!

Murfdog

Jane H. wrote:
Beachpotato wrote:

Thanks to Youtube videos by Nastasha, check out 1AnitrasDance  she has the best video's ever. She must have gone to every concert in the last 10 years of his career. I was ready to order the ''Wolf'' DVD and then last night on Paladia they had an hour preview. I ordered 2 so I could give to a friend. Keeping the blues alive... Thanks Joe and Kevin.

welcome Beachpotato and I LOVE your username!
believe it or not Natasha has not known about Joe that long but has definitely gotten to and documented more shows than most

Yeah, I'm a relative newbie compared to most, only known about Joe since 2012. Just making up for all that lost time when we were clueless & living under a rock wink

Michael wrote:

Yet again J&R with Kevin Shirley Phillipe Klose and The Whole DVD Team have produced an expansive looking film.

The Bonus DVD, i suggest you play first to get the feel of the journey towards Red Rocks
which captures the essence of Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf from Mississippi & The Deep South, they're own adventures in the 1950's re tred by Joe and Kevin to see where they come from and their own roots and routes playing the blues through the delta, its fascinating music history documented right there from meeting places and people who somehow are part of the life of the blues, i won't give away too much but there is a wonderful final chapter at The Original Crossroads

The Live Show at Red Rock is interspliced with Muddy & Wolf sequences holding on the that wonderful American Musical History and Blues from that place.
Joe has picked a band that are so perfect for that venue and style, it just swings The Blues from The 50's to 2014 with a clever big band feel with an equally slick modern day twist, " A la Blues 21st Century" Joe's vocals adapt to the songs so good and pure with an old style twang yet retaining his own spin on the timeless tunes, His Guitar work is as frenetic as ive ever seen, his soloing is million MPH and on point but with some Delicious 50's type rhythm guitaring too, just listen to "I Can't Be Satisfied" and "All Aboard"  he and the band structure the songs so well retaining the melody but putting that Joe Bonamassa Sheen on them so well, with punchy horns and harp and Michael Rhodes really bopping those bass strings, incredible player and intense with the music, Kirk Fletcher with some beautiful Rhythm fills to keep the pace and feel true, Anton Fig on Drums is just so awesome, so perfect how he can slip 1950's type drumming in and on milisecond every hi hat, snare and bass drum is just so so timeless and true, he is the star in some ways, keeping everything authentic, then theres Reese Wynans probably quite easily the best blues keyboard ever to grace this earth, he explodes with jazzy bluesey runs that authenticate that feel of Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf and you can see he lives and breathes and nobody is enjoying that stage more and thats great to see, Reese is a Legend and Joe has captured a Legend and brought him to life with his own twist, Love seeing Reese go off on his own crazy keyboard runs, it is just incredible.

The show captured at Red Rocks is another superbly staged show with tight arrangements and Joe at the top of his vocal and guitar game and always in front of cameras he turns out a 11 performance, he loves a camera now, and loves nothing better than to play the blues these days from catologues of historic American music icons with a band behind him that is so in tune with the music too, not on stage for pay but for love, they all love that music era so much, you can see the Boogie Blues and Burning Ballads.

This is Right up there with Royal Albert Hall, Acoustic in Vienna & The Borderline show, for sheer Grandeur and Homage to The Blues

It is Joe Bonamassa doing what he loves, Just Playing The Blues

.............. Michael

my personal faves

JOE AT THE CROSSROAD WITH Mr MAGEE   ( Very Fitting & Humbling )

I CAN'T BE SATISFIED         love the slide and feel
YOU SHOOK ME                  solo is just insanely good
DOUBLE TROUBLE               solo is way way off The Scale
MY HOME IS ON THE DELTA    one of the show stealers, love it so much
ALL ABOARD                        one of my faves, love the boogie, its just great
KILLING FLOOR                   this is just brilliant
EVIL                                   great riff and feel
ALL NIGHT BOOGIE             my fave along with All Aboard, hope it stays in the set,
SLOE GIN                           solo of the night and Best Sloe Gin ever, this is so so Brilliant
BALLAD OF JOHN HENRY     toughest version ever, so so heavy and awesome middle part

Wonderful review!  Still waiting on my copy.  Saw the pbs show. Reese wynans is just so cool

Shake for Me, Hidden Charms, and Killing Floor....my faves....all tunes my favorite local guitarist(Terry Robb)does...Nice to hear Joe blow these out !

Murfdog

I almost passed on this Blu-ray/DVD because there were so many covers of old blues songs that aren't original Joe material.  I'm just not a fan at all of the old-tymie songs as originally composed & presented, although I definitely appreciate the inspiration the original blues masters have had on the rock-era artists that came after them.  Anyway, boy would skipping on this DVD have been a mistake!

I pulled the trigger on it a bit late, but got it Friday & spent most of yesterday watching it & re-watching parts of it time & again.  I LOVE this DVD!!  My concerns about hearing ancient plodding/depressing/tinny blues tunes were unfounded, since Joe & the awesome band transformed them into modern upbeat versions, and made them sound great.  The solo spots were out of this world, and the JB staples at the end of the DVD were really welcome.

Joe's solo in John Henry was THE best ever kick-@ss rock solo ever I think. I've watched that alone about 10 times already smile.  I was curious what he was going to do w/o the theramin, but boy was I surprised. Even better!

I think my favorite part overall was the Joe & Kevin's Excellent Adventure bonus section piece.  I loved the way it was put together - like you were hanging out with Joe & Kevin for a day and driving around with them.  Really cool.  I should know better than to skip on anything that Joe/Roy/Kevin put out.  These guys are all geniuses in their respective fields, and a rare convergence of talent that warrants continued attention, no matter what they collaborate on.