19 (edited by storiesbysteve 2015-03-30 01:14:04)

Re: Hypothetical question

Given the high prices for his shows I don't think their goal is to sell out the venue. Joe's concerts are among the most expensive this Spring for our area.

Maybe they figure that they can earn more money with higher prices and fewer fans but it's priced out of my wallet.

SBS

storiesbysteve wrote:

Given the high prices for his shows I don't think their goal is to sell out the venue. Joe's concerts are among the most expensive this Spring for our area.

Maybe they figure that they can earn more money with higher prices and fewer fans but it's priced out of my wallet.

SBS

Steve, Ticket pricing and for that matter scaling (price range) low to high is a double edge sword. A small market like yours might be one of those situations that even if the ticket prices were cut in half you don't sell twice as many tickets. Lets say the demand isn't there at any price. So you cut the prices in half and sell half the tickets. Your gross is half. The tickets in Eugene are reduced from other shows in the area. I was actually at the show last time he was there. It is a beautiful venue and town and if it doesn't sell out Joe still likes playing there. At some point if demand isn't there at any price then it becomes less likely to be a stop on the tour. The reality the only people that benefit from cutting prices and filling the seats are the vendors.

Now I personally think having the nose bleeds reduced price gives first timers or even people on a tight budget a break and I noticed there is a student discount. There are a couple of ways to look at it. Would you rather have Joe come to your town and pay a little bit more or have to drive a couple of hours and get a room at a bigger market like Portland? Eugene is on a Saturday night and you and your town have something pretty cool coming to town. Joe will play the same whether it is half full or filled to the rafters and people will walk away knowing they got their moneys worth no matter what they paid. I have seen it happen in venues across the country. I wish I could be there my cousin is from Bend and had planned on coming out but my sons fiance' is graduating from law school that weekend.

I'm promoting the show in Eugene for Joe....Hope the street team can get some more seats sold for ya !!....Hult Center is a great venue !!

jim m wrote:
storiesbysteve wrote:

SBS

Steve, Ticket pricing and for that matter scaling (price range) low to high is a double edge sword. A small market like yours might be one of those situations that even if the ticket prices were cut in half you don't sell twice as many tickets. Lets say the demand isn't there at any price. So you cut the prices in half and sell half the tickets. Your gross is half. The tickets in Eugene are reduced from other shows in the area. I was actually at the show last time he was there. It is a beautiful venue and town and if it doesn't sell out Joe still likes playing there. At some point if demand isn't there at any price then it becomes less likely to be a stop on the tour. The reality the only people that benefit from cutting prices and filling the seats are the vendors.

Now I personally think having the nose bleeds reduced price gives first timers or even people on a tight budget a break and I noticed there is a student discount. There are a couple of ways to look at it. Would you rather have Joe come to your town and pay a little bit more or have to drive a couple of hours and get a room at a bigger market like Portland? Eugene is on a Saturday night and you and your town have something pretty cool coming to town. Joe will play the same whether it is half full or filled to the rafters and people will walk away knowing they got their moneys worth no matter what they paid. I have seen it happen in venues across the country. I wish I could be there my cousin is from Bend and had planned on coming out but my sons fiance' is graduating from law school that weekend.

Murfdog