Topic: EVH anyone?

I'm going to say that 80% of what I've listened to this year has to be Van Halen, and its showing no signs of slowing down because I just purchased a preowned never used Frankenstein humbucker for my American Standard.  The guy bought it and decided not to do anything with it...  Procrastinated for too long and couldn't return it.  So let that be a lesson "Procrastination is like masturbation, in the end your only screwing yourself!" - Famous quote from AD3.
No idea how it sounds but I was sick of my clean sounds, and sick of my thin distortion sounds on this guitar.  I wanted a humbucker for a long time in it and now I've got it.  I know a lot of people are like you have a few Gibson guitars at your disposal why would you make this one humbucking?  1) Its my favorite. 2)  The CS 69' pickups sounded like crap in that guitar.  3) I know its not the guitar because it has had GFS pickups that IMHO slayed the CS pickups (Poor Fender) 4) I have a guitar that has Seymour Duncan strat pickups in it, and its the best sound for a strat I can think of... I seriously don't know how it could sound better. and 5) Because with guitars fat and ugly looks and sounds so nice!

Anybody else a fan of this EVH brand stuff?  Still kicking the tires on my buddies 5150 ver.1 its a landmark amp I've always wanted and never needed.  I know a few people said the Wolfgang guitars are excellent at 1 thing but pretty much suck at everything else.  First song I'm going to play is "Panama"when I finish wiring up the guitar.

Re: EVH anyone?

Don't have any EVH gear but you can't go wrong with VH in my opinion.

My older son (12) is a HUGE VH fan at the moment...

We had built a 'FrankenStrat' copy earlier in the year, which is really crappy, but he enjoyed bashing around on it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGvE7MxAnU

He said he wanted a Wolfgang, but I told him that in Australia, the chances of finding one on sale was slim to none.

Then last month we were on a family holiday in Adelaide (incidentally, to catch Joe's show smile ) and we walked into a small music shop which was out of the way, and lo and behold - in front of us was a 2001 model Peavey Wolfgang in IMMACULATE condition.

We did the deal, and he is now enjoying that guitar as his main player...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8140 … a521_b.jpg

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Great pic !! Cool guitar !!! Keep jammin :-)

Had a Fender Wolfgang Special...could not get on with it. Basswood body sucks...pickups are just for that tone and very little else and stainless steel frets have zero feel.
Then again....IT IS an EVH sig product and I knew that when buying it. Good necks though.

I found the EVH amp to be fizzy and just overly complex. Again, signature product.

Huge EVH fan, and I have to admit, although sometimes it looks like they're going overboard on the branded stuff, it is all top notch and top sounding gear smile

Been craving one of the guitars for a long time, those necks (the birdseye ones) are like butter. Best guitar I've ever played for feel was one of the older Musicman EVHs.

I love the fact the higher-end Wolfgangs have stainless steel frets.  That's pretty much a must-have for me on any guitar beyond a cheapie.

Hey just so you know the Specials are the same neck with stainless steel frets.  Its just a flat top and made in Japan.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

I love the fact the higher-end Wolfgangs have stainless steel frets.  That's pretty much a must-have for me on any guitar beyond a cheapie.

I love this picture!  Your son looks like a rock star in the making... Plus I'm sure you notice your son has incredibly long fingers for his age.  I think your raising a star my good man!  Well done.

Devan wrote:

He said he wanted a Wolfgang, but I told him that in Australia, the chances of finding one on sale was slim to none.
Then last month we were on a family holiday in Adelaide (incidentally, to catch Joe's show  ) and we walked into a small music shop which was out of the way, and lo and behold - in front of us was a 2001 model Peavey Wolfgang in IMMACULATE condition.
We did the deal, and he is now enjoying that guitar as his main player...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8140 … a521_b.jpg

Also, I like the Peavey out of date production models better then the EVH brand by Fender.  I think the pickups in the new ones are nasty in a bad way sounding, the old ones just had a ton of power and sounded fantastic... and my dream would be to own one of the Music Man Axis in the Amber color just like Ed's in Pound Cake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFf3Nmd2ZQw

I hear that the Frankenstein pickup is made by Seymour Duncan and blows the Wolfgang Current model out of the water!  I hope so.

Hey just so you know the Specials are the same neck with stainless steel frets.  Its just a flat top and made in Japan.

Cool!

evh the player is one of my all time faces.

i own a flame red wolgang usa model that is a beast of a guitar.  love the thing and the neck is great.

i also own a edv phase 90 and it's the best sounding phaser ive ever heard.....sounds great.

i played on one of the evh 3 amps recently in a store and was blown away....sounded fantastic but not in the amp market right not.

You know I've heard the new Wolfgangs are a bit bright in a bad way.  I'm wondering if EVH is going def in his old age and trying to add bright tones so he can make out what the heck he is playing.  Frankenstein Pickup comes in Friday and will be installed by friday night for a full review. smile

Well the mail ran late today so I didn't have time to restring but the pickup is installed in my Strat.  I'm going to have it an HSS style guitar.  Decided to go ahead and use 500k pots since the Single coils were already wired to those pots.  In my other strat build it was a tad harsh but I can always change it.   More then likely will since I hate what I did with my pickguard.  Basically cut a square out of my original pickguard hated that one of the screw holes from the existing single coil had to be cut through.  So I took a pickup mounting ring and polished the bottom flat to about a 3/64ths.  It would look good except its black, and the pickup is black and its a lot of black making it look like a cheap 60's made in Italy guitar.  So I'll either change the ring or change the pickguard to a guard with no holes in ugly places.  Also I'm only using a master volume and 1 tone control.
I know the pickup works and doing a tap test with a screw driver I can tell you this pickup is going to be extremely hot compared to the single coils.  Power on the pickups go 5.7k neck, 7k middle, and 14k for the Frankenstein EVH.  All goes well I might drop the single coils in favor of another humbucker, maybe something less expensive!  I'm off to bed strings in the morning and maybe I'll try to record something tomorrow.

All strung up and tuned.  Tried to set it up floating but my bridge block I made hasn't been tapped yet for a wammy bar so there is really no point to set it floating yet.  My cheap GFS pickup are out of phase to the Franky pickup so any combination with the humbucker is useless.  That said I've compared it to my SG with Pearly Gates, I like it better!  I've compared it to my Les Paul Traditional Pro, and I like it better!  Getting ready to test it against my Studio Les Paul.  Now I want to say first that the pickup is very vintage sounding but its hot 14k to be exact.  Do I think its worth the $150 asking price?  No.  Is it really cool and worth looking into if you can find a used one like me?  Hell yeah!  Really think this pickup is worth $80 about the price of a Seymour Duncan JB.  But it doesn't sound like a JB even.  I've had several and though I don't have one now I would say its not near as hot sounding more vintage.  A JB is just as good maybe for my application better?  I'm trying to play modern country aka watered down rock n roll.  Country in my opinion has just made a shift from the sounds of Aerosmith and Boston 70's rock, to more drop D stuff like Motely Crue.  They want me to give my sound more balls to the song and thats what I've been after.  Pedals help but can only get me so close.  I wanna play strats but Gibson's have the tone.  This guitar is my attempt to get my favorite guitar back in action!

14 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2015-03-30 20:00:24)

Tried to find a Van Halen Thread for a TV PSA ... instead of starting a new one that would just sit and hog space on the JBF Server after today. smile  Edit .. my apologies ... this Thread is in the Gear section. I'd search again ... but stuck using the Droid 4" screen right now with a turtle speed signal.

Van Halen on Jimmy Kimmel tonight (3/30/15) at 11:35 EST on ABC.  I think some of their performance will be shown tomorrow night as well.

Just announed a Tour, Live album coming out, and DLH is out in front (for how long? smile )

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.