Topic: "String Wrapping"

what's the point of "string wrapping" ...and does it affect UR action and intonation ??

Joe Bonamassa changed my guitar playing in a good way

2 (edited by cindyron 2015-03-23 15:50:46)

Re: "String Wrapping"

The biggest benefit is you can use say 11 gauge strings and due to wrapping they fell like close to 10's or 10.5 this enables you to use heavier gage strings for a fuller tone but minimizing the tension and thereby making them easier on your hands. Yes your action and intonation will need to be adjusted. I use it on all my les Paul's
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Oh lol I use 12's and I can bend easly...thought there was more to it but thanks  (I'll keep it the way they r lol

cindyron wrote:

The biggest benefit is you can use say 11 gauge strings and due to wrapping they fell like close to 10's or 10.5 this enables you to use heavier gage strings for a fuller tone but minimizing the tension and thereby making them easier on your hands. Yes your action and intonation will need to be adjusted. I use it on all my les Paul's
Cheers Ron

Joe Bonamassa changed my guitar playing in a good way

While we have the topic up. I'm having a unique problem. One of my top wrapped les paul but the b string keeps breaking at the tailpiece during bends. I'm not getting a week out of the strings. There's all ready an indent in the tailpiece where it's been rubbing. I'm thinking maybe a sharp edge is getting it. Anyone have any suggestions to ease the breaking.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

5 (edited by cindyron 2015-03-25 00:42:29)

misthunter210 wrote:

While we have the topic up. I'm having a unique problem. One of my top wrapped les paul but the b string keeps breaking at the tailpiece during bends. I'm not getting a week out of the strings. There's all ready an indent in the tailpiece where it's been rubbing. I'm thinking maybe a sharp edge is getting it. Anyone have any suggestions to ease the breaking.

Check the saddle sometimes there is a sharp edge that will catch the string and dig in and break it. That has happened to me. Also make sure when you wind the string the ball is completely in the tailpiece. Also lightly pre bend the string around the tailpiece as you wind.

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

6 (edited by misthunter210 2015-04-30 19:53:05)

cindyron wrote:
misthunter210 wrote:

Check the saddle sometimes there is a sharp edge that will catch the string and dig in and break it. That has happened to me. Also make sure when you wind the string the ball is completely in the tailpiece. Also lightly pre bend the string around the tailpiece as you wind.

I was thinking it was the saddle at first but when I extend the string back ou,  It's breaking at the tailpiece. I'll try the pre bend and see if that helps.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic

eatemijw1998 wrote:

Oh lol I use 12's and I can bend easly...thought there was more to it but thanks  (I'll keep it the way they r lol

cindyron wrote:

Cheers Ron

Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page and Joe Bonamassa all use the "over the bridge" string wrapping method. If its good enough for them, why not try it? I dont think any of these guys have problems bending!!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How Iā€™d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2015-04-30 15:51:41)

It's all voodoo. cool
Tension (to get in tune) is the same "tension" with the same strings no matter if you wrap it or not.
However, the break angle from tailpiece to the bridge does change, and I assert that the strings are easier to bend.

This argument goes around and around on other gear pages. My feeling is that if you like it, go with it. I mean if Billy Gibbons uses 8's on his guitars... top-wrapping to those tiny strings feel like 7's is a head scratcher.

I wanted to strangle a local guitarcenter luthier for ridiculing me for top-wrapping. He said I "need to go back to rock school." He won't be putting food on his table with my money... I think very similar for GC as a whole.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

It's all voodoo. cool
Tension (to get in tune) is the same "tension" with the same strings no matter if you wrap it or not.
However, the break angle from tailpiece to the bridge does change, and I assert that the strings are easier to bend.

This argument goes around and around on other gear pages. My feeling is that if you like it, go with it. I mean if Billy Gibbons uses 8's on his guitars... top-wrapping to those tiny strings feel like 7's is a head scratcher.

I wanted to strangle a local guitarcenter luthier for ridiculing me for top-wrapping. He said I "need to go back to rock school." He won't be putting food on his table with my money... I think very similar for GC as a whole.

GC bozo needs to go back to school. His first lesson should be I need to do what the customer asks.

I like guitar center for the selection of guitars on hand but most of the people that work there are idiots. If I find a good employee I do all my shopping from them.