1 (edited by bobkatmsu 2015-03-27 18:02:17)

Topic: Hypothetical question

We all love Joe or we wouldn't be on this forum. His popularity has grown immensely in the past 6-7 years, however, the majority of people in this country have never heard of him.  What would be the reaction if the NFL  put Joe's, Muddy Wolf band on at half time of the Super Bowl. What percentage of the the typical top 40 listener, say, "where has this been all my life" and what percentage of them would say, "bring on Lady Gaga". I wonder.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Re: Hypothetical question

Unfortunately, familiar pop artists/songs are the only things that work in that situation.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

3 (edited by DougH 2015-03-27 20:11:59)

As Joe said in his Facebook video the other day
He's playing the worlds most expensive guitars for the worlds most undervalued music.

Man he has a way with words..

(I'm meaning NFL would not have him play sad )

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

They put Lenny Kravitz in the last half time show, and I'm sure much of the audience wondered how long the Hunger Games guy played guitar.

I'd say it would be a 50/50 split. Out of the 12 or 13 times I've seen Joe play, I always look around at the crowd and always see several faces just looking with their mouths hanging open! Not saying that they are 1st timers, maybe just not believing what their seeing!

bobkatmsu wrote:

We all love Joe or we wouldn't be on this forum. His popularity has grown immensely in the past 6-7 years, however, the majority of people in this country have never heard of him.  What would be the reaction if the NFL  put Joe's, Muddy Wolf band on at half time of the Super Bowl. What percentage of the the typical top 40 listener, say, "where has this been all my life" and what percentage of them would say, "bring on Lady Gaga". I wonder.

Show him playing and they will come.
Reference PBS.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

They force the acts to mime, I wouldn't want to see Joe do that.  hmm

8 (edited by Ian916 2015-03-28 16:15:12)

and the oner hypothetical questions are:

If Joe was as a popular as Lady Gaga how may of you would say "he has sold out”? And "I remember him when he started and now look at him all mainstream and commercial”..... wink

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

My guess would be he'd gain a bunch of new fans. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 20% of the viewership would love it, 30% would hate it, and the rest would be indifferent or somewhere in between.
That's not a knock on Joe, it's a knock on mainstream musical tastes.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

My guess would be he'd gain a bunch of new fans. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 20% of the viewership would love it, 30% would hate it, and the rest would be indifferent or somewhere in between.
That's not a knock on Joe, it's a knock on mainstream musical tastes.

Totally agree.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

I agree with Bill on this pretty much 25% would like it...25% wouldn't and the rest would simply not care....Joe is kind of like a snowball...or perhaps better...a "Slow Train"....but he continues to grow in popularity....Remember, he's trying to bring back to the mainstream a music genre that gets virtually no radio airplay in most markets...Considering that, I think Joe and Roy have done a great job increasing Joe's visability over the years. 6 years ago, I saw him with 600 people...next time I see him, it will be with 3000, not to mention, the ticket price has tripled ! Joe may never get huge, but over the next twenty years, he will cement his reputation as one of the best guitarists of all time, and, personally, I think that's just fine

Murfdog

murfdog wrote:

I agree with Bill on this pretty much 25% would like it...25% wouldn't and the rest would simply not care....Joe is kind of like a snowball...or perhaps better...a "Slow Train"....but he continues to grow in popularity....Remember, he's trying to bring back to the mainstream a music genre that gets virtually no radio airplay in most markets...Considering that, I think Joe and Roy have done a great job increasing Joe's visability over the years. 6 years ago, I saw him with 600 people...next time I see him, it will be with 3000, not to mention, the ticket price has tripled ! Joe may never get huge, but over the next twenty years, he will cement his reputation as one of the best guitarists of all time, and, personally, I think that's just fine

I remember an older interview with Joe when he said he didn't want to be Sir Edmund Hillary...he'd be happy to get 2/3 of the way up the mountain. IMO, he's not 2/3 of the way yet, but he's playing the size venues/crowds he has said he likes - 2,000 to 3,000 with the occasional larger crowds like Red Rocks, where almost 10,000 showed up. That size IS up the mountain a bit!

I think one of the best things Joe has done for marketing himself has been allowing crowds to record his live shows that end up on Youtube.  A similar thing he could do is to have $20 tickets for the nosebleed sections at his concert.

I would like to Joe on Top Gear as the star in a reasonably priced car but the Jeremy Clarkson firing might have ended Top Gear.

bobkatmsu wrote:

Those that say "bring on Lady Gaga should be banished to a cold Siberian Mt. range.. LOL .To each his own. The first time I heard rap music, I knew how my parents felt the first time they heard Jimi Hendrix. It is an interesting question though. Not sure what the demographics are for the NFL.

I think I would judge that by the music he's playing. If he is true to his feelings and love of that music, I'm fine with that. You can't go wrong with something from the heart. IMO.

Ian916 wrote:

and the oner hypothetical questions are:

If Joe was as a popular as Lady Gaga how may of you would say "he has sold out”? And "I remember him when he started and now look at him all mainstream and commercial”..... wink

Not sure I would want to "share" with everybody. Really I tell so many people about Joe and 85% never heard of him. Kudos to Joe do ing it his way

bobkatmsu wrote:

If Joe's happy with his level of success then why is the street team members encouraged to promote Joe so much and get his name out there more? (not criticising just making an observation) smile

I'm sure Joe would like to fill every seat at every show. Nobody wants to see 500 empty seats in a 2000 seat theater.