1 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-20 01:12:53)

Topic: Should I Be Picky On Pickups ?

I know there is good and then there is junk out there as with anything.

Would like some opinions on what brands of pickups some of the experts prefer and why. What would be a good set of pickups for all round playing? The guitar I plan to buy will have either two or three pickups.

The reason I ask is that when I buy a guitar I may want to swap out pickups so I can get the best sound possible. Please keep in mind that I want something that will work the best for playing a variety such as Classic Rock, Country , Blues & a little Metal. 

Opinions would be cool, Thanks !

Re: Should I Be Picky On Pickups ?

All around playing for me is the truly classic combination of Semour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

All around playing for me is the truly classic combination of Semour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

Thanks dknight16

dknight16 wrote:

Spot on. I love that pickup combination. Seems to work well with a range of different woods too. Bareknuckle make great pickups too. I installed some crawler humbuckers in one of my guitars and they were absolutely amazing.

5 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-24 00:51:50)

Hollie's Dad wrote:

Spot on. I love that pickup combination. Seems to work well with a range of different woods too. Bareknuckle make great pickups too. I installed some crawler humbuckers in one of my guitars and they were absolutely amazing.

Thanks Hollie's Dad !

One more question, can any brand of pickups be installed to any guitar ?

For example, I am looking really hard at the Peavey T series guitars (T-25 , T-27 & T60) which
as most would know are built in the 80's. Now as everyone knows , over time the pickups will degrade and eventually they will need replaced.

Could I put any pickup set in the guitar without having to modify or would I be stuck with using the stock pickups. The reason I ask is, I don't want to cut up the body to add pickups. The pickups on the Peavey's sound great but finding stock ones for a 80's model may not be as easy as going to the store and buying em'. So I may not have a choice other than going with a different brand of pickup.

Am I right in my thinking ? And if so are there pickups out there I could get for a older guitar such as what I mentioned without having to modify the body to make the change? Would some of the ones you guys mentioned above work ?

Thanks Guys

I don't know for sure that the pickups in those guitars are replaceable with standard pickups from the companies mentioned. They look more like proprietary designs to me. Having your existing pickups re-wound could be an option if you think they're not working well, plus there are lots of methods for cleaning and overhauling old pickups. If you know anybody with some spare pickups, you could easily try one in the routing, or tell visually whether the design is compatible. The Peavey t series have a bit of a cult following, there may be some forums you can peruse, or even try in touch with Peavey to ask their advice. Good luck.

Hollie's Dad wrote:

I don't know for sure that the pickups in those guitars are replaceable with standard pickups from the companies mentioned. They look more like proprietary designs to me. Having your existing pickups re-wound could be an option if you think they're not working well, plus there are lots of methods for cleaning and overhauling old pickups. If you know anybody with some spare pickups, you could easily try one in the routing, or tell visually whether the design is compatible. The Peavey t series have a bit of a cult following, there may be some forums you can peruse, or even try in touch with Peavey to ask their advice. Good luck.

Thanks ! smile

Pickup sizes and string spacing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  It's not one size fits all.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

Pickup sizes and string spacing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  It's not one size fits all.

I appreciate that, Thanks !

Putting fingers on fingerboard is no trouble but sorting out sounds of pick ups is hard. Some like thick and soupy, some like spider, some clean, some dirty and all that, so recommendations are difficult to make or take. Some players are really neat and tidy, some trash the thing. What can we do?

I want nice pick ups for a Les Paul, have already SG Standard with Burstbuckers 1&2, it's kind of feisty and spiky, that's very good for me. If I get the same for Les Paul, this won't be bad and it's a different sound from the SG but I think the only way to know is to try to find a guitar that has them already. It's not easy to find Les Pauls in showrooms with Bare Knuckle, Lollar, Di Marzio, Seymour Duncans etc. so it comes down to recommendation for these, but I live near London so I can try out all these unknown Classic 57's, Burst Bucker pros and all those 490 jobs quite easily for myself because I know that a Les Paul Classic has BB's and a Traditional has 57's.
Homework..... It's different if you don't live near a decent guitar shop. What I do is "tour" - take a day, take the train and walk around these places. I can make this a relaxed pleasure by getting lunch in a pub. I make this "I'm going to town for lunch and get a set of strings" into my "day" so I don't get hung up that I'm "buying today", because I've made my mistakes in the past (so what? It's all a journey). I'm afraid that I have also visibly developed the habit of "glazing over" when the sales-pitches start. I don't need to have much interest in that because of my "homework". If I want to know, I'll ask and if I don't, I just look. I never say what I'm looking for until I see something - "Just looking, if that's all right? Thank you." Peace!

White noise - loads of folks like something called "Klon", a legendary pedal with imitators/repros like "Archer" and I think everybody knows about Tube Screamers but what I hear of all that doesn't interest me, I like direct, thinner, nastier filth without all that "mid-range" stuff, I use ear bleed treble and I like Alnico pick ups more than high-power ceramic because it's more "open and airy" i.e. a much wider frequency range - the aggression or "bite" comes more from the presence control than the overdrive and the guitar's tone controls become useful. That stuff picks up finger noise like crazy when you crank the amp, some like it, some don't, and whether your "craziness" is individual or you copy others in a covers band for good money, we all do different stuff. The point being that review and recommendation can only get you so far.

In general, ceramic (and active) designs usually suit 1980's+ type music and the "open, sweet and airy" description is older Alnico designs, more like playing through a Marshall stack in 1968 (Page, Clapton etc.). Not quite so "tidy" but more "sparkly" for pop. That might narrow stuff down a bit but in the finish I can try loads of Gibson guitars in showrooms for 57 Classics, Burst bucker pros and all that but I don't know how to try out all the "little guys" because recommendation is so subjective - "some like soupy, some like thin" etc all over again, blah blah.

So just try what you can get to try while reading as many reviews as possible to get some idea of different characters and qualities. The next thing is the amp you use - modelling with digital solid state or old fashioned valve stuff with maybe twin channels as your tonal options. Some players have Line 6 and Blackstar, some have AC30s. Try to use an amp that you know I should think, bear in mind that amps matter - fabulous pick ups are a waste of time if you are playing through crud. A good twin-channel can cost but it's Godsend if one ever played in the 1960's - a hundred-watt Marshall was gutless at pub volumes and muddied up in an open-air situation. Today you can get the sweet spot where you need it just by standing on a button. It's this which has made the vintage pick up revival practical and it's still cheaper than playing golf, no? Magazines are good, read between the lines though.

I'm definitely a trasher myself. I'd never be able to hold a job with Alice Cooper, it's too polite and I'd way-sooner get a divorce than calm down. I've got one life and I want a Les Paul, not an Epiphone, thanks. Yeah, I know that hurts but ain't it great to have fingers? OH YEAH, HEARING LOSS - 15% BOTH SIDES! AY? So I'm murder in a guitar shop and I recommend this - TRY THEM OUT FOR REAL! After you've listened to all the blarney, try them for real. Don't buy unheard, unseen, unplayed. If you want to know about Lollars for your Korean-driftwood "thing", play a £5,000 Collings and "give it some". It's your money! Then if you take the plunge and they don't do the job, discuss the potentiometers and capacitors with a repair man, that stuff can be sorted for a bag of chips while saving up for your Collings (or Huber!).

Other than all that, I don't know. Best to all, keep trucking, it's good. It's not wrong. It can't be wrong.

That has to be about the longest first post ever. Hi and welcome. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:

That has to be about the longest first post ever. Hi and welcome. big_smile

That's for sure
Week cin to all things Joe. Many many gear geeks here
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

O.K. ta, no more long stuff.

In the 1920's Picasso was robbed in the street. We know this because he reported it to the Spanish police and described his attackers by drawing them

PICASSO DRAWINGS! WOW! CAN YOU IMAGINE?

So the Spanish police wasted no time. The following day they arrested three sardines.

Lol!

You can't go wrong with a PAF -copy humbucker and a tube screamer if you're just starting out. Covers all genres.
For metal, just drop the mids and crank up the bass on your amp.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

16 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2015-03-04 08:12:33)

The reason I ask is that when I buy a guitar I may want to swap out pickups so I can get the best sound possible

What's the guitar?  Lots of stock pickups are pretty good.  Also "best sound possible" is soooo subjective.  What are you looking to get out of your pickups?  More or less output?  More clarity?  More dynamic range?  A modern or vintage type of sound?  Everything is a tradeoff in some respects.

That said, a few thoughts:

• I've been pretty happy with the stock 57 Classics in my LP traditional.  Not the best thing ever, the neck pickup can be a bit.. dull... but you can cover every genre and they sound like a Les Paul should (to my ears, anyways smile ).  Especially in the bridge.

• I'm a huge fan of Suhr pickups - I owned one Suhr, and have played many others with a variety of their pickups, and they all sound amazing.  Their SSH/SSVs can do pretty much everything.  If you're going more boutiquey, I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

• I have a super strat w/ Lollars (Tweed SCs in Neck/Mid and an El Reyo HB in the bridge) and they're fantastic.