Topic: Joe's Fender Twin/Bassman mods?

I was curious if anyone knows the mods made to the Fender amps Joe is using right now? I would be curious about speakers, tubes, etc.

“You’ve gotta riff like your mojo’s magic…
Let your fingers fly like lightning unleashed…
Make your notes scream with the unbridled passion of a soul on fire…
And boogie like the Thunder of the Gods!”  LP 1974

Re: Joe's Fender Twin/Bassman mods?

I doubt he has made any "mods", the only change I know for sure, is that he runs them with old celestion speakers circa 70's-80's, I don't know the exact model, but I believe they are somewhere between 75 and 85 watts

I was presuming they are 100% stock, as modding them decreases their value.
I'm also assuming stock speakers.
For tubes, which are replaced regularly... that I do not know.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

4 (edited by Adrian J 2015-03-01 03:41:01)

What's the difference tonewise between the high-powered tweed twin like Joe's and the earlier 40W twin as used by Clapton et al..??

Obviously I assume the higher-powered model has more clean headroom, but are there any other differences?

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

The more I think about it the more curious I am in the process necessary (refurbishing and modifications) to get 50+ year old amps ready and reliable for the rigors of a tour.
I would be amazed if they were just dusted off and put into service.
I'd also be interested in knowing what is the backup plan in case one or more goes south.

“You’ve gotta riff like your mojo’s magic…
Let your fingers fly like lightning unleashed…
Make your notes scream with the unbridled passion of a soul on fire…
And boogie like the Thunder of the Gods!”  LP 1974

6 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2015-03-02 09:44:21)

I know when JB has his old rig, he essential had two of everything in case one thing went bad. both were up and functional for the show, but only one set was plugged in. Something goes bad, simply plugin the backup. I can only imagine the same goes for this new more vintage than boutique rig.

Back in the early 2000's JB toured with vintage twins, and they weren't road worthy. I heard he used to tour with a Line 6 amp to get the Fender twin cleans cause it help up better for fly-in gigs and such. So between then and now, I'd say the vintage amps "comfort of travel" has improved and the amps are transported more safely. Just a guess though.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Any vintage amp should be overhauled by a tech, changing out the electrolytic caps and inspected for cracks in the solder connections, loose hardware, worn pots and such before hitting the road. The weight of the things leads to damage by shock so transport in a cushioned roadcase is recommended. Nic is correct on having spares.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381