Re: The Football Topic

Ian916 wrote:

glad Real Madrid won it, - listening to commentary on the radio whilst driving it came across that AM were dead on their feet (at one up) unable to give anything more, that was until RM scored and then miraculously they woke up! Lazy? - And another game where an Argentinian implodes into disgraceful behaviour when it does not go his way? Such an under performing nation because of their lack of discipline over the years.

Looks like Bale, Modric and Ronaldo certainly made the right decisions to move on from their last Clubs! wink

Haven't found out just yet what Simeone's final outburst was actually caused by. He was clearly irked by the 5 minutes of extra time in the second of the of the 90. As I wrote, I couldn't see that either. 5 minutes! No way.

And then at the end of the first half of the extra time 15 minutes another 3 minutes was added - huh? Extra time on extra time? To add insult to that injury the ref overan those 3 minutes by 20 secs allowing Real a last chance to score then. He had every reason to be upset about that as it definitely seemed to be that the officials were conspiring against him at that point.

But Athletico were finished by then. 1 man hobbled and totally spent. Even so, until Bale's goal they were hanging on for penalties. In the interview afterwards Gabi, Athletico's captain was very generous and conceded the better team had won and warmly congratulated Real. It could have been different though. If it had just been the 3minutes extra time and not 5 then Athltico would be champions now. So fine are the margins. Ask Orient today.................

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

848 (edited by Ian916 2014-05-26 09:55:31)

the young player Raphael Varane passed him (Simeone) the ball after the penalty:

http://youtu.be/V6ZgIPLxt8M

IMO - no excuse for a manager to loose it in this way, - it is a waste of time remonstrating with a referee about time added on, - if a manager (or player) cannot accept that the referee makes these decisions then don’t play the game! As I always told my kids, referees make mistakes, -  if you cannot accept that then the game is not for you. Sadly this aggressive questioning and abuse filters all the way down to children's football. There was a pathetic attempt at bringing in the “Respect” ethos into the game, but the relevant authorities failed to deal with the issues.

Better for getting that moan off my chest! wink

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

I'm all for getting the referee's more respect as in rugby or most other sports. But only football can do this.

Mandatory red cards for players herding around a referee, touching the referee, abusing the referee. Only when they start doing this will managers and trainers wake up and start training their players to hold their tempers and emotions in check. How do rugby players do it? They have a code. Passed on from players to players via trainers and managers.

But how to do this fairly when the players have a case? Clear mistakes over disallowed goals, bad penalty decisions, playacting and timekeeping have to eradicated. The stakes are too high now.

By all counts Bobby Zamora's goal for QPR caused no problem. But what if it had been a controversial decision. The victory to Derby could have been worth 120million quid. To Rangers alone it was worth over 60. It is simply too much for a single chump too old to play the game any more, being paid a comparative pittance by comparison to be allowed to make those kind of decisons on his own, when we, within seconds have the full array of slow mo, close up, and 23 different angles to analyse it. Football, at the very highest level, just has to catch up.

Get the officiating right, and start sending players off. The latter would bring immediate benefits. 1 season of wholesale red carding would deliver a sea change in footballer thinking. If clubs were to align that with contractual clauses to withhold salary payment against suspension periods I think on field behaviour would see a dramatic improvement.

An experiment worth making in my opinion.

850 (edited by RickB 2014-05-26 16:51:26)

I agree Mike. Instant replay is used here in both American football and baseball. The challenges to calls is limited and costly if wrong.

A salute to  US stalwart and perennial star Landon Donovan. He was cut from the National team at the last minute last week in a very controversial decision by Coach Klinsmann after playing and training for a year to be ready while recuperating from injury. As a punctuation mark and wordless comment to Klinsmann, he scored Sunday for Galaxy and set a career mark for goals in the league at 134. The National team will be the lesser in Brasil without his presence (not that they have much of a chance anyway). Klinsmann had remarked he was going for youth and energy instead of experience at the highest level of play. Donovan has more career World Cup goals than most of the highly paid stars in the world. hmm
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

851 (edited by Ian916 2014-05-27 07:16:30)

don’t disagree with you Mike, and as you know I am walking away from youth football completely because (largely) of the way it is run from grass roots right through to National FA’s. The game has the potential to do so much good yet is now consumed by money and the power and control of a few who base their decisions on what is in their own best interest and not that of the game. They are resistant to change, not being open minded.

There are so many little changes that could improve the wider game so much. Sin bins as an example would allow “power plays” that would improve scoring chances for a short period of time and might introduce players to being more versatile to where they play on the pitch; a team with two players sent out for 5 minutes would need to pull back strikers or midfield to defend - massive problem in youth football is players who only want to play in one position on the pitch. - I have had players give up because they only wanted to play as a striker despite not being any good at it, - the parental over emphasise on scoring goals being at the route of the problem.

My two kids play water polo to County and Regional level (they both did trials for GB) which is far more aggressive as a sport than football, - they did a tournament last weekend, one of their players questioned the referee on her decisions twice, both times he got sin-binned, the second time because it was his 3rd major fowl he was dismissed entirely from that game,  if we would have had a sub we could have played them instead, but we did n’t so we were 6 against 7 which will never work in water polo so we lost the game and the tournament, - lesson learned? He did not fowl or question the referee again all day!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

Ian, I like the sin-bin idea. I've been watching a bit of handball these past months and it is used there to great effect.

I'm not an über-fan of these high scoring sports on small courts but I think the sin-bin option would benefit football enormously.

Persistent tactical fouling could be immediately punished handing, as you say, an immediate Ice hockey style 'power play' period to the team with the numerical advantage. It would potentially liven up games that might be otherwise drifting towards a stalemate, or extra time and subsequent penalties.

And as you observed, players get the message. They disadvantage their team, possibly detrimentally, should they lose and WILL be forced to learn from this experience. What we see is currently footballers NEVER learn and continue to foul, cheat, abuse and employ 'gamesmanship' tactics.

I'm all for it. I see an immediate advantage for sin bins. It can even be adequately controlled by the current 4th official! Also I understand the 'Techincal Area' is under review. Good thing. This needs to be abolished. Trainers/Managers could be allowed to step out of the dug out occasionally, but 90 minutes patrolling the sidelines needs to be stopped.

Onto Spurs then. Another manager, their 10th since 2002.

Levy, for me, lacks any footballing credibility whatsoever. His record on managers alone proves that. Now a manager, new to the English game after 18 months with Southampton gets a 5 years contract to take over.

He finished 8th with Soton in his first full season, playing admittedly, the kind of football that Spurs fans (and maybe West Hams too) would like to see. But we already know this contract is actually worthless. I note he paid the 2M compensation out of his own pocket to take the job. Good for him, although that just means his signing on fee is equally substantial.

I would like to have seen him do a del where he gets a big weekly wage and tellsLevy to stuff his contract. That he'll work without one as he doesn't trust the bloke.

Levy wants a top 4 finish. They have the players to get that, so the new man will need to get in the heads to make sure that they know they can achieve it. How realistic is it?

Well, we know the top 6 for next season already. So Spurs have got to displace 2 of thos to get there and I didn't even include Everton when I was counting those 6. Anything less is already a failure isn't it?

I will wait to see the fixtures first, but if Spurs have a difficult first run of matches I could envisage the guy being gone just after Xmas!

Last point: glad to see we are at least keeping the subject alive on here. WC to come as well so hopefully a few more will participate in the coming weeks.

There are so many areas where the game can improve. You wouldn't think it would still be possible would you? But the rules need tinkering, attitude and behaviour must be addressed, and rascism seems to be a bigger subject now than ever. Throw in match fixing, the finance of football overall and the corruprion of FIFA and there must be something for people to comment on!

I see Brack's early optimism has been a bit undermined. I'm glad in a way. I think the current results now put Moyes time there in a better context. I still don't think him a bad manager and I don't think he was out of his depth on the football side of things.

The players there were and some still are a bit resistant to change it seems. Even with the best part of 200 million invested they are going to be well off for some time. LVG has a big job on. Here's hoping they give him the time. I still think CL qually could be on this year but they need to start getting results before the Autumn to do that.

Tuesdays result was a shocker and no mistake. No comment from me though as I was at Upton Park to see the Hammers forfeit a lead and numerous chances to bury a Sheffield side who were workmanlike at best. Good performance by the keeper though.

Coupled to the fact that I only got into the ground 10 minutes before half time!

PL clubs treat their fans like sh**. No question. The game wasn't a sell out although a healthy 28000+ attended probabl due to WH pricing tickets at just 10 quid which was at least fair. I reserved my 2 tickets a week in advance. We got there at 1830 for a 1945 kickoff. The queue to collect tickets ran from the ticket office around the car park and along Green sStreet and stretched almost to the tube station! I reckon there were 5000+ in the queue. We got to the ticket office at 2015 and took our seats at 2025. A bloody disgrace. No apology. No information.

Regardless of the price, and that we eventually got the missing half hour back with extra time and a penalty shootout of course, the organisation was farcical. How a footbaly club with so many years of ticketing can f*** up so badly is beyond me.

We had paid in advance, reserved tickets done everything that the club wants and then they screw it up so spectacularly.

I've written to Brady, Gold and Sullivan. but I don't expect any form of reply. I am ashamed to be a supporter of West Ham sometimes. Clueless. On the field and off it mostly.

Well, it was only a friendly and Germany did field their 'B' team for much of the game.

But nontheless I think the watching fans were quietly grateful that Angel di Maria didn't play in the world cup final.

He destroyed Germany on Wednesday evening. 50 minutes in and they are 0-4 down. Ok OK I hear you say, if Gomez had converted just one of the 3 golden chances he had early on it could have been different, but that wouldn't have changed they way Argentina played. They were stunning.

Who needs Messi when you can play like that. They were actually much more creative without him. Di Maria was soooo fast, brilliant control. He looks worth every penny. His own solo goal was worth the admission price alone. They couldn't get near him. I f United can't properly use THAT talent this season then they really are up the creek..........

RachelEStewart wrote:

is it football or soocer topic?

Soccer

Brack wrote:
Hogsniper wrote:
RachelEStewart wrote:

is it football or soocer topic?

Soccer

Sorry, I have to correct you,  It's FIFA ( Fédération Internationale de Football Association ) Football  - only America calls it Soccer, as far as i know!

I was trying to help the person who asked the question not offend anyone on the otherside of the Atlantic.   When someone asks 'football or soccer' usually they are trying to figure out if you are talking about North American (U.S., Canada) football or rest of the world football (soccer, FIFA).

For anybody interested, Australia is currently hosting the AFC Asian Cup 2015. (OK, this isn't Europe or South America but more that half the world's population live within the confederation).

However, a record has been broken with NO draws recorded in the 24 group stage matches completed today. The previous record in a major tournament was 18 at the 1930 World Cup. This is significant here where we endure the constant moaning of fans of other football codes about "boring 0-0" results in "soccer" football. It hasn't been due to massive mismatches either, with 14 of the 24 games decided by a one goal difference.

Australia joined the AFC (from Oceania) in 2006 and has reached the Asian Cup QF in 2007 and Final in 2011, beaten both times by Japan. The equation to go one further this time is to beat China in the QF, then most likely Japan (who are first up against UAE) in the SF. The Final opponent would come from South Korea (who we lost a group match to), Iran, Iraq and Uzbekistan.

Thanks for reading. If you're curious I'll report how it pans out.

shadowblue wrote:

If you're curious I'll report how it pans out.

Australia vs South Korea Final, Sydney, 31 Jan 2015.

859 (edited by shadowblue 2015-01-31 19:53:35)

So the Australian national team has won it's first ever major silverware! AET Australia 2 (Luongo 45' Trioisi 105') def. Korea Republic 1 (Heung-Min Son 90+1') in front of 76,000 fans in Sydney.

In addition (and I'm adding this so you might look out for these guys) I'm very proud that former players from my A-League club, the Central Coast Mariners took the player awards for man-of-the-match (defender Trent Sainsbsury, currently at PEC Zwolle) and goalkeeper of the tournament (Mathew Ryan, now sitting top of the Belgian league with Club Brugge) - both from our 2013 Championship side and in their early 20s. And Socceroo captain Mile Jedinak was a Mariner from 2006-9.

The MVP for the tournament was Australian midfielder Massimo Luongo, a 22 year old who ventured to England young to ply his trade and never played in the A-League. He is playing in League 1 with Swindon Town and was a revelation. I suspect he may not be long in League 1.

Congrats to the Aussies! Well done.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

It should do but Blatter is Mr Teflon so it probably won't. He has too many backers in Africa , Asia and South America for that to happen. No political rants here please. lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

if ever there was a time for Europe to stand together it is now, - withdraw from the World Cup’s that are tainted; Russia and Qatar - not great for the fans or the players, but without drastic action nothing will change. All the time we go on moaning about it from a position where we can do nothing about then we are wasting our breath. Blatter will never change anything because his power is wrapped in wrong doing, FIFA is not fit for purpose without massive change, it will not change whilst Blatter is president, -(round and round in circles) so walk away...

Ian916 wrote:

if ever there was a time for Europe to stand together it is now, - withdraw from the World Cup’s that are tainted; Russia and Qatar - not great for the fans or the players, but without drastic action nothing will change. All the time we go on moaning about it from a position where we can do nothing about then we are wasting our breath. Blatter will never change anything because his power is wrapped in wrong doing, FIFA is not fit for purpose without massive change, it will not change whilst Blatter is president, -(round and round in circles) so walk away...

Certainly agree with withdrawing, however, sadly I don't think it'll happen

864 (edited by Jimi75 2015-06-02 11:59:56)

Here in Germany one is seriously considering a withdrawal from the World Cup.
I would highly appreciate that!