Re: Silver Jubilees are back

Zen Guitar wrote:

From the Marshall Roadhouse Forum...

Marker wrote:
Thanks, I didn't knew about changes to remove the "hum"; I never noticed any hum in my Slash reissue edition, not even cranked and with high gain.

On this video at 1:27 the Marshall Marketing Director says that modern production techniques were used to emulate the sound and keep it afordable:

I wonder what he means; if Santiago could drop a line on this it would be awesome.

santiall wrote:
Hi, unfortunately that was a very bad choice of words by Nick. There is nothing being emulated in the amp and there are no "modern construction techniques". The amplifier is pcb like the originals were although of course the pcb has been updated into a double sided one, with DC heaters and we corrected an issue with flickering relays that the originals had.

The amplifier is built in the same style of other UK Marshall amp with that type of conduction(AFD, YJM, VM, YJM...) and we also upgraded internal connectors, used cloth covered wires and a few other improvements which will become standard in new Marshalls.

The mains and impedance selectors were removed as they are becoming difficult to find and difficult if not impossible to get them pass modern safety standards.

We also added external bias points with two trimmers, one per push pull side.

Hope this clarifies the issues.

Seem like 'Nick' should go on a product training course before he does any more sales pitches :fp

ruger9 wrote:

Ron... "LIGHTEN UP" lol

You're still apparently missing my point. I'm not talking about quality. I'm talking about paying for what you get.  But no need to continue... if you want to overpay for a PCB amp, you have every right to. smile

I love my PCB amps. I just don't pay $3000 for them.

I have an original, it's PCB. I gigged with it as my main amp until I recently bought a Friedman BE. As a Reissue of an iconic amp that was made for one year, and making some build quality improvements to boot, this amp seems to be priced right on. Any bets on how fast they sell?

I do/have had several amps of all flavors, and I know Ron has too. PCB, hand wired, boutique, vintage, etc.. Never had any quality issues with any of them.

You keep insisting on this $3,000 thing. Look at the link to Sweetwater...$1899.00. That's what they are selling for, and that's before you call them or another retailer and get it for even less. Anyone who pays what they are asking isn't trying hard enough. I'm sure you could end up with one for $1700 or so.

Another point is this....Most all of the "Jubilee clones" are all $2000 and up, some going up as high as 4k. Again, I paid $1500 for my original in near mint condition 3 years ago. So, now what's over priced? LOL.

You will not convince me, as a gigging musician, that hand wired is superior in quality to a well built PCB amp. Also, did you forget where you are? I don't think Joe would have gigged with these amps for years if they were so terribly built and were failing him all of the time, would he? He certainly has the choice of any amp he wants. That alone kind of deflates your argument.

The end result will be in the sales numbers, and, I bet it's not long before they are sold out. Time will tell.

...So... is Joe gonna chime in?

Just in time for Joe to abandon Jubes in favor of the vintage Fender amps.
Category5 and Ceriatone is gonna take a hit, but it's still a better price point than the Marshall.

Now that there's "more" hopefully it will cut the value of the originals down too lol

Maybe the new ones will go for the right price (used).

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

40 (edited by cindyron 2015-01-26 16:09:16)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

...So... is Joe gonna chime in?

Just in time for Joe to abandon Jubes in favor of the vintage Fender amps.
Category5 and Ceriatone is gonna take a hit, but it's still a better price point than the Marshall.

Now that there's "more" hopefully it will cut the value of the originals down too lol

Maybe the new ones will go for the right price (used).

Great that jubs will be around. Although I do think the old ones will still be in demand. Hey their old now the vintage folks will want them. Who knows time will tell. I have a few jubs and will be picking up a new one. Looking forward to do a side by side comparison
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

41 (edited by Artisan 2015-01-26 19:58:53)

Ive got an original too, I'm curious. My dealer texted me from NAMM, with a photo of a full stack. I may end up getting one, but I never use the one I have.

42 (edited by cindyron 2015-01-26 20:29:55)

Artisan wrote:

Ive got an original too, I'm curious. My dealer texted me from NAMM, with a photo of a full stack. I may end up getting one, but I never use the one I have.

A friend of mine is at NAMMs and said they are awesome. Well I will not hold my breath until I try it

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

jbyrd1 wrote:

You will not convince me, as a gigging musician, that hand wired is superior in quality to a well built PCB amp. Also, did you forget where you are? I don't think Joe would have gigged with these amps for years if they were so terribly built and were failing him all of the time, would he? He certainly has the choice of any amp he wants. That alone kind of deflates your argument.

The end result will be in the sales numbers, and, I bet it's not long before they are sold out. Time will tell.

I would agree. I think the one advantage to a hand wired turret or eyelet board is they are less delicate to repair, and will still be able to be serviced decades from now, just as the early ones can. I personally don't believe there is a difference in sound when non shielded wires are replaced with circuit board traces, if all other components are otherwise the same.

Another issue that can be present in PCB amps is when the board is used to provide structure, where pots or jacks are board mounted, with no other support. But that wouldn't fit your "well built" constraint. But even that has its place. In addition to the expensive hand wired Marshall I have that I don't need, I also bought a used blues jr for $300. It sounds great, and since it never moves, it being a bit less rugged hardly matters for my uses, and I didn't have to pay a lot for it.

44 (edited by Adrian J 2015-01-27 03:25:03)

I don't understand the complaints about the price. It's in the same price bracket as several other Marshall 100W heads...some PCB some hand-wired, though the HW ones are all more expensive...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-h … 2246page-1

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

The price kind of surprises me.  It's cheaper than I would expect.

There are tons of amazing PCB amps out there that are priced really high and worth every penny. As was mentioned in an earlier post, as long as the PCB is properly laid out it will be as good if not better. I've never heard anyone bash a Soldano or Tone King for not being worth their price tag. Those are just the first two that came to mind. Anywho, I'm stoked that Jubs are back too!

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

Does anyone know what channel does JB use on the Silver Jubilee? Lead channel?

DaveWammbarro wrote:

I'm off to TGP for some peace and quiet...
Damn...

lol, nicely done.

cindyron wrote:
SOFTMC wrote:

I am surprised  that they never mentioned Joe as for me no one else has done more to endorse the Marshall Silver Jubilee I had never heard of one until Joe came along, if Marshall were clever they would have approached Joe to make a signature model but maybe he cant do that as Category 5 have already done this .

I was wondering the same thing good point
Cheers Ron

Maybe they did but couldn't come to an agreement with each other???

Just to be clear,

Joe B and Category 5 do not have a contract of any kind.  For that matter, we don't have a contract of any description with anyone.  We are very old school.  Anything we have ever done with any artist has been a handshake and non-exclusive.  Joe uses Category 5 amps because he likes them for whatever application he chooses. We build him some special amps from time to time, and he graciously allows us to offer them to the public.  He is a very good personal friend.  Joe remains an active Marshall endorsee and user as well.  No one needs to read into the tea leaves on whether there is any commercial issues driving anything (at least with Category 5). 

By the way, our Jub style amps are hand wired, unlike the originals.  And the clean channel is much different than the original, so its really a different amp.  I doubt the new reissues will have any effect on the ones we sell.  Ours were priced above originals, so we don't see this as the same market.  And I'm going to stay out of the Hand Wired vs PCB discussion:)

DonR

Seems Joe tried one of the new Jubes out at Hammersmith Apollo recently ~(He was apparently impressed) :-

[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/Madaxeman2/11070662_10153279113776917_4662803088865455905_n_zpshxezxfks.jpg[/img]

I think it's great Marshall have finally got round to reissuing these and they're not overpriced for new UK built Marshall. Just a bummer they didn't reissue the smallbox 50 watt stack - that's a proper little beast.

those sound clips on the sweetwater site are awesome! man, what a rock n roll amp!

I'm looking forward to the RI vs original tone comparisons.
This RI is not built like the old ones.
Check out the back on both.
For one the tubes and transformers are in different positions.

madaxeman wrote:

Seems Joe tried one of the new Jubes out at Hammersmith Apollo recently ~(He was apparently impressed) :-

Good to know! Thanks!

Been wondering what Joe would think of these and if he's impressed logic would tell me one of two things. 1)Truly faithful to the original or 2) Just a solid great sounding amplifier!

Absolutely nothing wrong with either of those two reasonings. Been saving for one of these since I heard they're coming back, work is slow but hopefully I'll have one by August. :-)