1 (edited by AndyK 2015-01-25 03:46:46)

Topic: Gibson worst workplace. Joe u can`t mean t support such a crap company

Kind of old news and maybe discussed here already!?
Read an article about Gibson on TGP and came over some odd stories. Seems i will not be buying a Gibson guitar soon after that and i think Joe should reconsider his endorsement with that company. Joe you can`t support such a company or can you?

http://gawker.com/gibson-guitar-ceo-get … 1661598680

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth … amp;page=3

Quotes about Gibson as a place to work at: Well what was it 3 or 4 years ago on an online survey of the worst company in the US to work for Gibson was #1. I also remember that was when 'Premier Guitar' magazine had just came out and showed they actually had some real journalist and were not just a "fluff" kiss **** magazine. In the 4th or 5th issue they decided they were going to do a Q&A with some of the top names in the business and picked Henry J to be their first guest. After receiving a list of the questions he was going to be asked (some which had to do with the poll and work conditions at Gibson) he declined. He also forbid any execs to talk to Premier or answer any more of their inquiries. Premier wrote about the whole incident and printed out the list of questions he was going to be asked, of which about 3 out of the 10 may have made him uncomfortable. They went with the CEO of Line-6 I believe instead (who were happy to do it) and all went smooth.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employ … 143350.htm
http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/ … N320091216
Listed as the worst place to work was Gibson Guitar, followed by United Airlines, Spherion, AutoZone and Rain Bird.

Re: Gibson worst workplace. Joe u can`t mean t support such a crap company

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/gibson- … ey.611629/

I have no problem with Joe having an endorsement with them. I don't agree with the practices but it wouldn't stop me from getting one if I really was dying to have one.

With that being said, I've found that the insane prices and spotty quality control for a "premium" guitar has kept my Gibson numbers down. I would buy a used one for a good price but I'm not paying what they are asking for new guitar. I have found some epiphones to be on par and better in the feel and looks department then some gibsons. A pickup change will have it sounding as good too. My stock Epiphone Slash Rosso Corso is on par with many gibsons I've held and played.

Looking forward to the day we hopefully get an Epiphone 59 principal skinner signature model.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

I tend to be very skeptical of articles like this. I dont have any first hand knowledge, and it's not uncommon for someone with a personal grudge to write a negative story for unprofessional reasons. Also, all companies have employees who moan and complain about every little thing, and very often, those are not even good employees themselves.
That being said, I really dont like the idea that you would try to publicly shame Joe into not working with Gibson. Thats just my opinion.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

My brother-in-law worked for Gibson.  The "stories" are pretty much all true.  Not a great place to work, at least not for "middle management"....  you're completely dispensable, and Henry is pretty much crazy/irrational.

I don't have an ax to grind, my BIL works for FENDER now, and loves it there. I'm just relaying what he has told me about working for Gibson.

Seems this should be in off topics?
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

7 (edited by bobkatmsu 2015-01-25 10:30:30)

Rusty wrote:

I tend to be very skeptical of articles like this. I dont have any first hand knowledge, and it's not uncommon for someone with a personal grudge to write a negative story for unprofessional reasons. Also, all companies have employees who moan and complain about every little thing, and very often, those are not even good employees themselves.
That being said, I really dont like the idea that you would try to publicly shame Joe into not working with Gibson. Thats just my opinion.

+1.  I know nothing first hand about Gibson, but, I do know quite a bit about Joe.  If he feels comfortable with the company, I'm good with them.  I firmly would give Joe the benefit of the doubt over some "journalist" that may have reasons of his own, to write this story.  Find it hard to believe that the company could be that bad and still attract a competent work force to put out a quality product. Also question the motives of who ever started this thread.  It's their 11th entry on the forum and are attempting to make Joe look bad.  Not what we do here.  The very large majority are here because we love Joe's music and equally as important is Joe's story, the type of man he is.   Internet smear campaigns are not going to work here.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

8 (edited by Hogsniper 2015-01-25 10:53:16)

bobkatmsu wrote:

Find it hard to believe that the company could be that bad and still attract a competent work force to put out a quality product.

While it's getting better, many have to take what job they can get.   Beyond the custom shop I don't think they put out a quality product.  I know nothing about how the company is run but in the year that I have been back playing guitar after a 15 year or so hiatus, I have been absolutely disgusted with the quality I have seen from Gibson USA.  Gibson is not what it was IMO.

9 (edited by AndyK 2015-01-25 13:00:59)

Rusty wrote:

Ad 1: You don`t have to have any first hand knowledge.... Well there are a lot of things that happened in history that i do not have any first hand knowledge but due to overwhelming evidence i believe history books. The information delivered all over the net supplies significant evidence that there might be a considerable amount of truth to the "malicious rumors" put out on the internet. With other words i do not have to eat **## to know that it doesn`t taste. The smell is enough. There is not just someone with a grudge there seems to be a big number of people with a grudge. So maybe there is some truth to the rumors? Or is there a conspiracy against Gibson going on?
Ad 2: "Also all companies have employees who moan and complain.... " There are bad employees too, no doubt. But again back to 1)- evidence seems to be in disfavour of the Gibson management. But then again... you need proof. No crime without a dead body, right? That being said i do not think it is the right time for employees to complain, taking the job market situation into consideration. That said: What is a bigger problem in the world today: Employees exploiting employers or vice versa?
I do not shame anyone into anything. Joe may have good reasons why he still is with Gibson. That being said i find the body of evidence sufficient to make the decision to not buy a Gibson. If i were Joe and would have an ok relationship to the CEO of Gibson and besides that a good paycheck from them i would have more than a hard time to decline Gibson on the basis of the accusations at hand. Props to Joe for not already deleting that thread. So  in no way am i expecting Joe to answer here because such a thing could be quite complicated on several levels.

That is just my opionion.

I find the people and news associated with The Gear Page to be  nerd equivalent to TMZ. A toxic forum devoid of civil rational participants and moderators. All my friends who work at Gibson seem happy. We live in a culture of destruction by rumor. 

Now pass that salt shaker with that free grain of salt.
Joe B

Traveling this weekend saw this during a delay at LaGuardia tried to delete it to no avail. Joe was able to respond which I believe puts this thread to rest.