Topic: Joe using fender combos

Here in Montgomery tonight, Joe was using what appeared to be a pair of tweed twins as well as a pair of bassmans. Just curious if anyone else has saw him use these before. By the way his tone was great nonetheless.

Re: Joe using fender combos

levijgilbert wrote:

Here in Montgomery tonight, Joe was using what appeared to be a pair of tweed twins as well as a pair of bassmans. Just curious if anyone else has saw him use these before. By the way his tone was great nonetheless.

Yes, I saw Joe a few weeks ago and he was using his vintage fender amps. He's been using this set up since the Muddy Wolf concert at Red Rocks if I'm not mistaken.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

details here- http://jbonamassa.com/features/2014/bon … 20IT%20NOW

Electrics: 85 Les Paul Custom, 01 335, 03 Les Paul Special

Crybaby>Shanon Phaser> Supa-Trem> OCD> Homebrew distorion>Homebrew Miniboost > Boss Dimension C> Carbon Copy> TU3 Tuner : Amp- WoodCross head or combo or Hot Rod Deluxe

Thanks for the info guys.

Would love to hear a live album with this setup so we can compare properly with the old setup...!!

(I know there are YouTube clips, but I mean professional recordings!!)

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Adrian J wrote:

Would love to hear a live album with this setup so we can compare properly with the old setup...!!

(I know there are YouTube clips, but I mean professional recordings!!)

+1

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic
Amps: Mini Jubilee Head, Carol-Ann Satin

Cheers for posting the article.

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic
Amps: Mini Jubilee Head, Carol-Ann Satin

levijgilbert wrote:

Yeah he used it at Red Rocks. I was lucky to be invited to rehearsal at Colorado U and Joe showed Austin and I his new tweed rig and he played through it. Awesome tone seemed more clear then his old rig. He had only two pedels a Wah and a boost pedel tweaked  by George Tripps to do something to the frequency around 500Hz. As always Joe can make anything sound amazing.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Bassman + Twin
=
Marshall + Dumble

... is it not?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Bassman + Twin
=
Marshall + Dumble

... is it not?

sort of, yes. But only the first Marshall was a tweaked bassman then evolved. I think, but could be wrong, Dumble evolved from very specific Fender amps. Not all Marshalls are bassman based and not all Dumbles are Twin based. Dumbles are probably closer to a blackface fender of some sort, not tweed.

I dare JB to go out with an AC30 big_smile

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

Totally different sound, tone was good, but lacked the depth the old Marshall system had. I'm cool with the Fender combo thing, but its not for me. I prefer the old system.

Is Joe still running a mix of clean and driven amps?

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Adrian J wrote:

Is Joe still running a mix of clean and driven amps?

I know just about enough to make me dangerous so consider the source I'm not really a gear geek. I understand that he is as close to plugged straight in as he will ever get. A wah and a clean boost in to a Twin. A slight tremelo into a Bassman. Pretty much all you hear is the Twin and the Bursts singing.

I am actually just using one amp for the house. The Under Siege Twin.  I call it that because I bought it from my fellow gear nerd Steven Segall. I am all about simple these days.

Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am actually just using one amp for the house. The Under Siege Twin.  I call it that because I bought it from my fellow gear nerd Steven Segall. I am all about simple these days.

Joe B

Your tone was awesome at Red Rocks Joe. You squeezed marvelous soulful tone from the tweeds.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Don't under estimate the importance of a good Les Paul in this amp configuration.  This is something that became very obvious to me since my recent purchase of a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.  The huge, natural singing sustain of a good Les Paul can definitely alleviate the need for extra drive pedals.  And although I don't own one, a good Gibson 335 must have the same effect.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Hi Joe

When you say "for the house" you mean that's mic'd and put out through the PA right? The other 3 amps, are they just for on stage sound, or backups then?

I'm certainly liking the fact that you've gone for simplicity..!!

Adrian J wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Hi Joe

When you say "for the house" you mean that's mic'd and put out through the PA right? The other 3 amps, are they just for on stage sound, or backups then?

I'm certainly liking the fact that you've gone for simplicity..!!

I can tell you that at the Springfield Mass show a few weeks ago, only one of the four fender amps was mic'd, so I think its safe to assume that one was put through the PA and the others were for backup.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP