91 (edited by Bluemac 2014-11-15 12:40:05)

Re: Different Shades of Blue Review

I’ve listened to DSOB a lot just recently and I have to say that I like it... I just don’t really love it in the way that I love, say, Blues Deluxe, You & Me or John Henry. For me, John Henry was probably Joe’s last real killer guitar album (others may disagree).

I thought Dust Bowl had some great guitar tracks (Last Matador, etc.) mixed with some pretty ordinary stuff (Tennessee Plates, Dust Bowl, Sweet Rowena) and marked the start of a steady movement away from ‘great guitar songs’ to ‘great songs featuring guitars’. Black Rock, DTTD and DSOB are all fine, enjoyable albums that I like to listen to and have some great songs on them (Athens to Athens, Driving Towards the Daylight, Dislocated Boy, Different Shades of Blue, So What Would I Do). But these tend to be songs that suit being played acoustically, rather than electrically.

These three albums have probably done a lot to widen Joe’s appeal but, for me, haven’t really produced any killer guitar tracks that stand shoulder to shoulder with some of his earlier work or which have earned a ‘must play live’ status. I watched the video of Joe playing Oh Beautiful and Midnight Blues on French TV and honestly felt that Oh Beautiful really only HINTED at what Joe is capable of as a guitarist and singer, while Midnight Blues DEMONSTRATED what he is capable of.  By the same token, when people ask which of Joe’s albums are a great introduction to his music or should be recommended to friends, Forum members almost invariably opt of RAH 1 or LFNIP, not the recent studio albums.

I remember as a kid being disappointed with Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard album because it paled into insignificance as a guitar album alongside, say, Rory Gallagher’s Irish Tour ’74, which was released around the same time and a lot of us pretty much stopped listening to Clapton at that point. By going for a more 'popular' sound, Clapton went on of course to be incredibly successful, but I’m not sure he ever lived up to his reputation as one of the guitar greats from that point on. His real guitar legacy really remains rooted in his work of the late 60s and very early 70s.

I can understand why Joe doesn’t necessarily want to live in the past and wants to reach a wider audience and try different things, but as a fan of his I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that the next album will be a step in the direction of something a bit more ‘Beano’ and not another step in the direction of ‘Tears in Heaven’, if you know what I mean...

Music is such a subjective thing and this is just my personal opinion. Ask 100 other people and you may get 100 completely different opinions.

Even fools say something worthwhile now and again

I would just like to point out that 2 of Joe's best tunes with real blues jamming on Dust Bowl are "Meaning of the Blues", and "Aint no Love on the Street". These are awesome raw tunes with searing solos !!

Bluemac wrote:

I’ve listened to DSOB a lot just recently and I have to say that I like it... I just don’t really love it in the way that I love, say, Blues Deluxe, You & Me or John Henry. For me, John Henry was probably Joe’s last real killer guitar album (others may disagree).

I thought Dust Bowl had some great guitar tracks (Last Matador, etc.) mixed with some pretty ordinary stuff (Tennessee Plates, Dust Bowl, Sweet Rowena) and marked the start of a steady movement away from ‘great guitar songs’ to ‘great songs featuring guitars’. Black Rock, DTTD and DSOB are all fine, enjoyable albums that I like to listen to and have some great songs on them (Athens to Athens, Driving Towards the Daylight, Dislocated Boy, Different Shades of Blue, So What Would I Do). But these tend to be songs that suit being played acoustically, rather than electrically.

These three albums have probably done a lot to widen Joe’s appeal but, for me, haven’t really produced any killer guitar tracks that stand shoulder to shoulder with some of his earlier work or which have earned a ‘must play live’ status. I watched the video of Joe playing Oh Beautiful and Midnight Blues on French TV and honestly felt that Oh Beautiful really only HINTED at what Joe is capable of as a guitarist and singer, while Midnight Blues DEMONSTRATED what he is capable of.  By the same token, when people ask which of Joe’s albums are a great introduction to his music or should be recommended to friends, Forum members almost invariably opt of RAH 1 or LFNIP, not the recent studio albums.

I remember as a kid being disappointed with Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard album because it paled into insignificance as a guitar album alongside, say, Rory Gallagher’s Irish Tour ’74, which was released around the same time and a lot of us pretty much stopped listening to Clapton at that point. By going for a more 'popular' sound, Clapton went on of course to be incredibly successful, but I’m not sure he ever lived up to his reputation as one of the guitar greats from that point on. His real guitar legacy really remains rooted in his work of the late 60s and very early 70s.

I can understand why Joe doesn’t necessarily want to live in the past and wants to reach a wider audience and try different things, but as a fan of his I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that the next album will be a step in the direction of something a bit more ‘Beano’ and not another step in the direction of ‘Tears in Heaven’, if you know what I mean...

Music is such a subjective thing and this is just my personal opinion. Ask 100 other people and you may get 100 completely different opinions.

Murfdog

A shout out for a song on DTTD that rarely seems to get mention in terms of awesome electric guitar solos - specifically the solo in Heavenly Soul.  Absolutely awesome guitar work on that track IMHO.

Yes, perhaps it's more of a "great song featuring guitar" vs. a "great guitar song," but it's an incredible solo nonetheless.

1.  Happy I succumbed to finally buying the Best Buy version too.  Agree, I really like the extras, especially Irish Eyes...right with you whirlwind and Barbie! 

2.  I have most everything of Joe's and take great pains (translation - joy) to learn and assimilate the content of each CD/DVD.  With DSOB, now after many plays I find I am constantly singing, humming or just thinking about some song from it.  That hasn't happened nearly as much with Joe's other recordings, as much as I may love them.  These tunes just seem to flow with life somehow.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

95 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-11-26 08:28:01)

I thought Dust Bowl had some great guitar tracks

IMHO Dust Bowl has three of Joe's best solos ever - Last Matador, Meaning of the Blues and Prisoner.  Meaning of the Blues is a freaking clinic.

Champster wrote:

A shout out for a song on DTTD that rarely seems to get mention in terms of awesome electric guitar solos - specifically the solo in Heavenly Soul.  Absolutely awesome guitar work on that track IMHO.

That was by far my favorite song on DTTD.  Great song, amazing solo!

sally12333 wrote:

I have most everything of Joe's and take great pains (translation - joy) to learn and assimilate the content of each CD/DVD.  With DSOB, now after many plays I find I am constantly singing, humming or just thinking about some song from it.

Me too - I've had half the album stuck in my head at one point or another over the last month or so.  Really love it.  In fact, I have "Heartache Follows Me Wherever I Go" stuck in my head right now!

Champster wrote:

Yes, perhaps it's more of a "great song featuring guitar" vs. a "great guitar song," but it's an incredible solo nonetheless.

I agree....great solo........I have peaches in my pantry, too   smile

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

I am waiting for the song with Ms Bonamegametal in it!
In the meantime Looking back on DSOB it is a grower and I do really like the album as much as when I first started listening to it if not more.
The horns and keys work for these songs and it is much more the horns that are different from other studio works.
You never know where Joe will go next but it's always fun!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I still dig this CD and Black Irish Eyes bonus track is still right up at the top despite the backup vocals. I continue, however, to skip the title track and Scarlet Town. Love the horns! Perhaps the BEST.TOUR.EVER!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST