Re: New Guitar Owner

And don't overestimate how much power you need in a practice amp.

I use my 5 watt amp the most, and even then in low power mode. My 15 watt fender blues jr is too loud to drive into breakup.

20 (edited by DougH 2014-11-23 16:26:29)

not that I want to advertise someone else's product here..
but check out Legacy's Learn and Master Guitar..
only buy the 20 dvd-5cd version from Legacy..
It's well worth the money and the forum people are a great help, plus free Tuesday night lesson/seminars

it will help turn you into what Joe calls "real musician" (that's one that can read music and understands music theory.. )
and no I'm not getting a kick back from them.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

21 (edited by Sirona 2014-11-28 13:01:43)

Congrats Dana!

I started learning to play an acoustic back in August.  I'm having a blast and my teacher is really cool.

I'm learning chords, reading music, learning how to use a metronome, holding the pick, discovering which type of pick is comfortable and all sorts of fun stuff. 

I agree with others, get a Snark tuner.  They are super easy to use and make sure your acoustic is in a place that is not too dry otherwise it will crack.

Best of luck!

Oh I almost forgot - when starting out  - take breaks.  My teacher says it's good to stop when your hand starts to ache a little when you are getting used to playing chords.  Always good to give them a break.  Keep your finger nails short too.  I learned that if I let them get too long they interfere with how my finger sits on the strings.

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

Snark tuners are great, and I do recommend them.  But they're really easy to break at the pivot points.  hmm