577 (edited by hansamike 2014-11-03 12:36:28)

Re: New F1 season kicks off this weekend

Enjoyed the race.
Lewis always in control, he is totally zoned in now. Seems a shame that in Abu Dhabi he could have a failure and the double points for Rosberg and the title.

Totally crass and ridiculous manipulation of the sport. I like Nico. Yes he would take the title and the records books would always show it, but he is an honourable guy and it would be a hollow title for him. Lewis would be absolutely correctly P***** off and the moral victor.

Bernie admits now that his shenanigans over many years have brought the finances of the sport to this point and now his manipulation of the 'show' just to give his Arab backers the final title outcome they crave could render the sporting aspect of  this championship worthless.

Bernie should step down. He is out of kilter with the culture of the sport now. His money grabbing mentality did indeed bring the sport forward and made it into the financial powerhouse it now is, but it has become the monster that has begun to eat itself.

The FIA could regulate the sport but has given up, because the income it receives from F1 is so vast they don't wish to risk upsetting the apple cart. I always knew Todt was the totally wrong man for the job. He is a dead hand of self-interest in my view, but a safe pair of hands for the financial interests that leech off the sport.

I can only hope that after Abu Dhabi Bernie's private jet makes a wrong turn and is brought down by ISIS. Knowing him though he would even get out of that and next season 'Caliphate F1' would appear on the grid....................

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

I wonder if Brazil will finally see the final main pieces of the driver market falling into place.

Surely this weekend Alonso will announce his return to McLaren for next year. This would no doubt trigger the teams announcement of its intention to retain 22 year old Magnussen in preference to 2009 WC Jenson Button.

Sad for him (Jenson) that his last F1 season had to finish without a single victory, plus the sad loss of his father at the beginning of the year.

Button has had a long and I think distinguished career in F1. I hope he does turn to sports prototypes like Mark Webber as I think he has an enormous amount to offer this area of the sport and would be extremely successful. His innate abilities to 'work' a car through various race stages is ideally suited to sports cars. His sublime treatment of the equipment will stand him in very good stead. I could see him becoming our new Derek Bell and with someone like Porsche, winning WC and LeMans. Here's hoping he goes for it.

Sauber have already announced Swede Marcus Errikkson and his 15m dollars for 2015 and now Brazilian Felipe Nasr is going there too presumably with even more dollars to his name. In the current financial climate Sauber's colours are firmly pinned to the mast - pay drivers. Both Errikkson and Nasr have talent, no question, but at this stage of their careers I suspect they have more dollars than talent. Nevertheless Sauber has always been good for new young drivers so it is the best place for them, even if not the best solution for Sauber.

That means that both Adran Sutil and Guitarrez are being shown the door. Sutil's F1 career is probably now over and I suspect sports cars or the DTM will beckon for him. LeMans prototypes would suit his style, but being German, the DTM is most likely more attractive to his backers. I hope he has a chance to score a point in the last 2 races, but he needs to stay away from Perez!

On the financial front I see the much talked about 'boycott' by Lotus, Force India and Sauber, was in part avoided by the intervention of CVC, the financial 'owners' of F1. Donald MacKenzie, co-chairman contacted Lotus chief Gerard Lopez and has 'promised' to undertake a shake up of the distribution of monies in F1. This is quite a tumultuous development, if true. It shows that Bernies position is far weaker than even I thought. If MacKenzie gets active in this aspect of the sport it will undermine Bernie's standing.

With any luck Button, Sutil and Guitarrez won't be the only 'names' disappearing from F1 at the end of the season.

579 (edited by LynB 2014-11-07 11:02:20)

hansamike wrote:

I can only hope that after Abu Dhabi Bernie's private jet makes a wrong turn and is brought down by ISIS. Knowing him though he would even get out of that and next season 'Caliphate F1' would appear on the grid....................

hansamike wrote:

With any luck Button, Sutil and Guitarrez won't be the only 'names' disappearing from F1 at the end of the season.

big_smile big_smile  Love these caustic comments.  Made me laugh!  I take it you're not a fan of Bernie's then big_smile  big_smile

Just edited to say there will be another name disappearing from F1 and that's Mariussa.  Apparently there was a deadline of midday today for investors to make a final bid but with no happy outcome, so the team has unfortunately folded.

LynB wrote:
hansamike wrote:

hansamike wrote:

big_smile big_smile  Love these caustic comments.  Made me laugh!  I take it you're not a fan of Bernie's then big_smile  big_smile

Just edited to say there will be another name disappearing from F1 and that's Mariussa.  Apparently there was a deadline of midday today for investors to make a final bid but with no happy outcome, so the team has unfortunately folded.

Yes, Marussia, or Manor or whatever they were or would be called have folded. A footnote to their story is that they have 'earned' in 2014 already a bonus payment from Bernie of $56m, and Caterham $10m. However, Bernie is forbidden from paying it in advance, which I suppose, is fair enough.

I don't know what the accumulated debts Marussia have to date, but for the Administrator you would think a $56m injection would be useful. They had a dispensation to miss the last 2 races, but they would need to be in Abu Dhabi otherwise I would imagine all bets are off and it is forfeited.

Bernie is already suggesting this retained $66m will now go into a fund to assist Lotus, F. India and Sauber. It seems all very unfair if you ask me. Maybe the way forward is for the leading teams to run 3rd cars. It would serve them right cost wise. I voted in the BBC online poll against it, but maybe they deserve it.

My take on Bernie is that he is more than 'time-served'. He has done an enormous amount for the sport of F1. The TV coverage we see today was all pioneered by Bernie, and funded by his organisation for a number of years, all designed to bring the sport forward in terms of its coverage. The safety aspects were all funded and supported by him through Prof. Jenkins for all those years.

He has done his bit, and more, but his 'dealings' with the major teams have created the financial disparities the sport now suffers from. Yes, F1 without Ferrari would be lawn tennis without Wimbledon, but a $50m payment just for showing up? Not sure about that...............

The circus rolls on though, they lose some clowns and other attractions from time to time but there are still enough (at themoment) performing seals to keep the thing (literally) on the road.

Right result today. Nico had a good weekend and no mistakes. Lewis drove well and I think was faster overall but the half spin on well worn tyres was his downfall as a pass was on at his second stop.

But Nico is a deserving winner today. Regardless what happened today barring a retirement, they both know the championship will be decided in Abu Dhabi as dictated by HRH Bernie Ecclestone.

One thing Lewis needs to improve on is his behaviour on the podium. He doesn't like losing but he has had a good run. He needs to show he is a champion in and out of the car. Nico did a good job today. Lewis shoving the Mercedes rep in between himself and Nico is just bad form. Dignity and fairness in victory and defeat. C'mon Lewis. Man up!

If only Mariussa and/or Caterham could find the backing to run at least one car at Abu Dhabi they they'd get the payments due to them.  I've no idea how much it costs to do this but I suspect $10m doesn't go very far.  The grid on Sunday looked quite sparse without them/

Anyhoo, it was a close run race with Lewis doing the chasing for a change.  He tends to get a little over exuberant and hence mistakes happen.  As for his post-race demeanour, I agree with Mike: he acts like a spoilt child sometimes.  Why can't all the drivers be like Daniel Ricciardo when they're on the podium?  Happy to be there.

So, the final race of the season is almost upon us.  My maths isn't good so I'm not even going to try to work out the permutations but it'll be a Mercedes champion - just which one?  It's quite exciting really!

Great driver and dominant cars= World Championship. Congrats to Hamilton for a brilliant season.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Congrats to Lewis - Great start - perfect end of season finish; Two times World champion now!

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Right result, and I'm glad double points didn't play a role. Shame about Nico's difficulties even though it afforded a controversy free conclusion.

Full marks to Nico though, and sportsmanship did finally prevail. Great that he went to Lewis in the lounge afterwards and his interview with the BBC after the race was an object lesson in dignity and humility in what were probably very disappointing circumstances for him. Admitting that Lewis was the faster driver over the course of the season. If anything, next season will be an even bigger challenge for him, but I think Nico has the resolve and the necessary talent. He'll be back.....