Topic: Joe's Acoustic setup

Hey all, we always go on about Joe's electric rig but there's never much mention of his acoustic stuff. In particular his setup for acoustic gigs. I find myself gigging the acoustic a lot more lately and my trusty Maton, through a couple of pedals and into the desk is in need of some improvements. I'm looking to upgrade the pickup system in the guitar (it's a only a piezo in there now) and a decent DI box. I have no interest in an acoustic amp as our monitors are fine. My duo partner is mainly a soloist but I join him most weekends for gigs and the electric gear is slowly gathering dust in my "man cave".

What experience if any, do you my fellow Bonamites, have with live acoustic work?

Re: Joe's Acoustic setup

Has your Maton got the AP5 pickup system in it??  The AP5 is about one of the best acoustic pickup systems around, and what gives Maton's their rep for amplified sound.

You might want to try a preamp with some EQ in your line to the desk.  The Fishman DIs are pretty good, or I've just bought an Archangel X7 preamp which is really nice too.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Check out the LR Baggs system I have one in a Martin and it sounds killer
Happy hunting cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Thanks guys. The AP5 is something I'm planning on getting soon. I have the standard piezo that came with the guitar back in the early nineties when I bought it. I've also been trawling the web for advice on a DI of some kind. Tommy Emmanuel use the AER Colouriser DI/preamp but the thing's about $700 AUD which is more than I'm prepared to spend. However I hear good things about the Radial PZ preamp and it's a few hundred cheaper.

I checked out some Cole Clark guitars yesterday and they sounded great through the small PA in my local music shop but acoustically they were't as nice as my Maton. Which led me to realise that I'm better off spending the money on something like the AP5 and a decent preamp rather than buying another guitar.

Ron do you know if the LR Baggs fit into Matons?

5 (edited by cindyron 2014-10-13 17:58:40)

jayb wrote:

Thanks guys. The AP5 is something I'm planning on getting soon. I have the standard piezo that came with the guitar back in the early nineties when I bought it. I've also been trawling the web for advice on a DI of some kind. Tommy Emmanuel use the AER Colouriser DI/preamp but the thing's about $700 AUD which is more than I'm prepared to spend. However I hear good things about the Radial PZ preamp and it's a few hundred cheaper.

I checked out some Cole Clark guitars yesterday and they sounded great through the small PA in my local music shop but acoustically they were't as nice as my Maton. Which led me to realise that I'm better off spending the money on something like the AP5 and a decent preamp rather than buying another guitar.

Ron do you know if the LR Baggs fit into Matons?

Check out their website they have the dimensions. Also have a look of the hardware that is mounted. There are some guitars that may have an issue with the cylindrical unit that goes where the strap button goes. I am sure it will fit most. Sounds simply amazing in my Martin. Also you a MUST have a tech install it. Placement is EVERYTHING cheers Ron

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

jayb wrote:

I checked out some Cole Clark guitars yesterday and they sounded great through the small PA in my local music shop but acoustically they were't as nice as my Maton.

Hi, i had a Cole Clark Fat Lady 3, and i confirm your opinion, great sounding through any PA, but acoustically it was missing something.

If you are happy with your guitar, you should work on it.

But if you still want to try some nice sounding guitar, i suggest you try a Takamine, but the top of the line, not the cheap stuff. I have a TNV460SC. TNV serie was the best of their line some years ago. Nothing to do with their cheap models, a really nice guitar, all solid wood. And they have an incredible valve pre-amp, that has one of the best acoustic sound i ever heard. It's called Cool Tube. Now they will be out with some new model, but the pre-amp is really amazing. The only problem is that the system is invasive on the guitar, so you should buy a Takamine with it, not install it on one of your guitars.

Good luck with your search

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Thanks lads. I bought the Radial PZ yesterday, so it should arrive in a few days. I've made some enquiries with my local tech about the AP5 and he's getting onto Maton for me with some prices. I think I'll stick with that as it's available and my tech knows the system. I was also naughty and bought a Strymon Big Sky which if I'm honest with myself is very self indulgent as I imagine most of its use will be at home entertaining myself. Double NPD in a few days. smile

jayb wrote:

Thanks lads. I bought the Radial PZ yesterday, so it should arrive in a few days. I've made some enquiries with my local tech about the AP5 and he's getting onto Maton for me with some prices. I think I'll stick with that as it's available and my tech knows the system. I was also naughty and bought a Strymon Big Sky which if I'm honest with myself is very self indulgent as I imagine most of its use will be at home entertaining myself. Double NPD in a few days. smile

Congrats Radial PZ is a great pedel. I use it all the time in my studio.
Cheers Ron

Strymon pedals are nice.  I've got the El Capistan, and thinking hard about getting the Flint.

As for the AP5, that might have to be a tech job to install too.  It is not a simple 'glue the transducers onto the bridge plate' like most others.  I believe this one needs to sit under the saddle and have height adjustment screws drilled through the bridge.

Not 100% sure about the drilling bit.  I am not a guitar doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  I am simply going by what I have heard others say.  My Maton ECW80C has the screws in the bridge for the pickup system (along with a large sticker saying "DO NOT TOUCH THESE SCREWS!").  big_smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Looking forward to both pedals. I have the Radial Twin City so I know these guys build pedals to last. I also have the Strymon Mobius which I use quite a bit both with the acoustic gig and my band. The Big Sky may be a bit of a luxury but I think it will get more and more use as I get experience with it.

Thanks again for the input gents, especially you Dr Devan smile

Devan wrote:

Strymon pedals are nice.  I've got the El Capistan, and thinking hard about getting the Flint.

As for the AP5, that might have to be a tech job to install too.  It is not a simple 'glue the transducers onto the bridge plate' like most others.  I believe this one needs to sit under the saddle and have height adjustment screws drilled through the bridge.

Not 100% sure about the drilling bit.  I am not a guitar doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  I am simply going by what I have heard others say.  My Maton ECW80C has the screws in the bridge for the pickup system (along with a large sticker saying "DO NOT TOUCH THESE SCREWS!").  big_smile

Get the Flint! It will change your life.

Also, my opinion is that the construction and specs of Maton and Cole Clark guitars is substandard. I use a Yamaha LJ16 that I installed a LR Baggs Anthem system in, it sounds phenomenal unplugged and amazing plugged in. And it cost me $1,000 including the pickup and the installation. Honestly the Yamaha L-Series are brilliant with great specs.

Hi Stefan...I had a listen to your rig tour and the Flint does sound nice. The Bigsky is awesome though and has a million different verbs. I ended up getting a Maton EGB 808 TE and I love it. The small body shape just works for me. smile 1st gig with it this weekend, I'll post back after.

stefanhauk wrote:

my opinion is that the construction and specs of Cole Clark guitars is substandard.

Interesting, one of the guitarists in my church choir that's been playing since the 60's loves his Cole Clark.
he even retired his old guitar from the 60's (that was worn straight through like Willie Nelson's) for his Clark.

but then again he's got a 12string.. not sure which model.
and that 'funky' neck to headstock joint... guess you'll never break a headstock like a Gibson guitar.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Have a agree to disagree on the Maton quality too. Maybe the cheaper one"s are average but mine is a piece of art. Great workmanship and attention to detail. Can't fault it myself.