Topic: It amazes my how inaccurate most Joe B tabs are

I made it my mission yesterday to learn the first solo from Dislocated Boy. I've had the tab book for DTTD for a while but haven't really made much use of it. Anyways I was going through the tabs in the book and listening to the song, and the tabs in the book are wrong, they are close but not 100%. For starters they notated his cascading pentatonics as pulloffs, but in reality if you watch the video he is economy picking. and then some of the licks make sense in other positions then the ones listed.

Re: It amazes my how inaccurate most Joe B tabs are

I have always found tabs to be nothing more than guides. Some really good, some, not so much. IMO, none are 100% accurate, and even if they were, you may find different positions on the neck, or different fingering that works better for you.

3 (edited by DougH 2014-10-29 17:12:47)

I brought one of the JB song books with me for him to sign at a meet and greet.

He took one look at the cover (read the cover) and said:

"artist approved"

I don't even know how to read music..

He did sign my book.. which i have on my music stand...
but I think they do the best they can with what they got.
although these JB books are far better than some of the hacks on the internet

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Well it is possible to get a near 100% transcription, I have the sheet music book for Giant Steps by John Coltrane and it is spot on

jbyrd1 wrote:

I have always found tabs to be nothing more than guides. Some really good, some, not so much. IMO, none are 100% accurate, and even if they were, you may find different positions on the neck, or different fingering that works better for you.

Ditto.

Django2013 wrote:

Well it is possible to get a near 100% transcription, I have the sheet music book for Giant Steps by John Coltrane and it is spot on

well I can see wanting the music (TAB) to be correct in the book; considering that you just didn't get the TAB off the internet but paid more than $22 plus shipping for the book.

I wish I had more time to work on the books I have.

Maybe you should send a note over to JR and let them know how far off it is.. maybe they can get the publisher to correct the book.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

hell they should just put me on the payroll and ill do tabs for joes songs, I already have 6/12 of songs from RCFP Takes New York, plus various other ones

Django2013 wrote:

hell they should just put me on the payroll and ill do tabs for joes songs, I already have 6/12 of songs from RCFP Takes New York, plus various other ones

Contact some publishers or J&R and send them samples?

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Contact some publishers or J&R and send them samples?

That's a great idea. I'll do that.

the studio version or live?