Topic: Amp with no effects loop...

Hey all-

So I think I have finally found the amp that I have been looking for, and that is the Dr Z Z-Wreck. The only problem with this amp is that there is no effects loop. I typically like to run two amps together, one with just delay, and one with chorus, reverb, and slight slapback delay (just like Joe!).

Anyway, this amp sounds absolutely killer, although expensive. Any ideas to get around this?

Thanks!

Logan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXbWHMac28

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Amp with no effects loop...

Logo33 wrote:

Hey all-

So I think I have finally found the amp that I have been looking for, and that is the Dr Z Z-Wreck. The only problem with this amp is that there is no effects loop. I typically like to run two amps together, one with just delay, and one with chorus, reverb, and slight slapback delay (just like Joe!).

Anyway, this amp sounds absolutely killer, although expensive. Any ideas to get around this?

Thanks!

Logan

I THINK you can get external effects loops..

Logo33 wrote:

Thanks!

Logan

Hey Logan,

You could have a loop added like the one offered by Metropolous...
http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?mai … cts_id=499

If you didn't want to add a loop, I would take a look at the Xotic X-Blender...
http://www.xotic.us/effects/x_blender/

Joe gives mention to this pedal in one of the sticky threads...could be the one on guitar help. I can't remember.
RP

Guitars: 2002 Gibson R8, 2008 Gibson SG Standard, 1977 Fender Statocaster, 1979 el Degas Les Paul Custom, 2011 Epiphone JB Les Paul
Amps: 1982 Marshall 4010

Logo33 wrote:

Hey all-

Thanks!

Logan

run a wet/dry rig instead. one amp with the delay, reverb, and chorus then the zwreck dry. no point in getting the z's signal all mucked up. it's strength is its unadulterated tone. although i've heard BP use it with some reverb in front which should be an option.

I second the wet/dry set up.  All of my amps lack effects loops and the wet/dry works best in my opinion.

Russ B.

I use echo and reverb in front of my cranked NMV amps all the time. I use to be an "effects loop" guy but I now vastly prefer running echo and reverb in front. It sounds more organic and lively that way, dirty and full of vintage mojo. Effects loops can make everything sound clinical or too polished sometimes. I figure most of my heroes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s did it the old school way. Love the Dr Z stuff, I really miss mine a lot. I'd love to try a Z Wreck as I've heard what Paisley does with his...incredible stuff!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Justin - do you run reverb/echo ahead of amps WITH an efffects loop? Do you use the loop if it has one? Or out front every time?

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I use echo and reverb in front of my cranked NMV amps all the time. I use to be an "effects loop" guy but I now vastly prefer running echo and reverb in front. It sounds more organic and lively that way, dirty and full of vintage mojo. Effects loops can make everything sound clinical or too polished sometimes. I figure most of my heroes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s did it the old school way. Love the Dr Z stuff, I really miss mine a lot. I'd love to try a Z Wreck as I've heard what Paisley does with his...incredible stuff!

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

kevman13 wrote:

Justin - do you run reverb/echo ahead of amps WITH an efffects loop? Do you use the loop if it has one? Or out front every time?

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Hey Kev, I really don't own any amps with effect loops anymore...only the vintage or vintage repro stuff remains. I'm pretty much a Fender and Marshall plexi guy now. My delays and reverb works great, you just dial back the effect level or mix back a bit and it works fine. All of my current amps are inherently low/medium gain-to-pristine clean so echo works really well up front. Guys with high gainers and gain monsters probably have more trouble.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Other than an Echoplex, what is the best delay for running out in front of an amp? Not trying to hijack this thread.  I thought this fits the topic.

Nice posts. Keep posting such needed information. Thank's!

I run a Strymon El Capistan in front of my Budda SD 18. I too feel like effects loops sound too "clean" for lack of a better term. The Strymon is really sensitive to dynamics which makes it work well in front of a dirty amp.

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

Seconded on the El Capistan - it behaves nicely in front of NMV amps, especially if it's first in line from the amp and you're using overdrive pedals. I run my El Capistan first, then overdrives after and it behaves just like it was in an FX loop since my basic amp tone is clean and the overdrives are providing all the dirt - the delay doesn't get all muddied up this way smile

'What's the use in gettin' sober......when you're gonna get drunk again' - Louis Jordan
Guitars - Gibson VOS R8 LP, Custom built Telecaster w/Bare Knuckle and Duncan pickups, 60's/70's Kay Tulip  (for slide)
Amps n ting -1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1961 Gibson GA30 Invader, Fredric Effects Golden Eagle, Wampler Faux Analog Echo

I'll third the Strymon El Capistan... Love using this delay pedal...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

HoosierRock wrote:

Other than an Echoplex, what is the best delay for running out in front of an amp? Not trying to hijack this thread.  I thought this fits the topic.

Belle Epoch works very well.