Topic: UFO - Strangers In The Night

Listening to this album right now, and it kicks ****!! Great songs and you can tell that it's 100% live!! Michael Schenker just slays on the guitar!! Listen to Rock Bottom!!

Re: UFO - Strangers In The Night

I agree wholeheartedly! I'll be riding the train tomorrow and now I know what I'll be listening to! It's been a while since I pulled this one out.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Absolutely killer album.  Michael Schenker is one of my top three favorite guitarists.  I remember playing the crap out of that album.  There was a song on there that went into a bluesy break at the end, ( I think it was This Kids) and he burned up the lead during that ending.  Anyway, the best news is that Michael is back and is playing better than ever.  I hope he comes back to the good old USA soon.  I have still never seen him live in concert.

I haven't seen Schenker yet either. Wish he'd come to Dallas.

For me, Strangers In The Night is the greatest live album EVER.  Schenker totally tears it up - yet is melodically perfect, Phil is in outstanding voice, and the rest of the band simply roars.  The material is so strong. UFO should have ruled the Earth.  And they might have had Michael not left the band just when they were rising like a rocket.  UFO was on the bill for my first concert ever back in 1977.  It was Schenker's last tour with them before he split.  I'll never forget that night.  Not a cliche: it literally changed my life.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Pretty sure he's been touring the U.S. regularly the past few years.  Keep an eye on his web site for info - michaelschenkerhimself.com. Last show I caught was in 2010 and it was pretty damn good. Plus it was cool being like one of only 10 females (probably the only one who was actually there for the tunes) in the crowd cuz whenever I wanted to stand in front the dudes just moved aside.  big_smile

I think I read somewhere recently that another woman stole all his gear or something. Poor guy - he has the worst taste in women! If he would have just married me in 1982 like I wanted he'd be a lot better off! lol

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

dknight16 wrote:

For me, Strangers In The Night is the greatest live album EVER.  Schenker totally tears it up - yet is melodically perfect, Phil is in outstanding voice, and the rest of the band simply roars.  The material is so strong. UFO should have ruled the Earth.  And they might have had Michael not left the band just when they were rising like a rocket.  UFO was on the bill for my first concert ever back in 1977.  It was Schenker's last tour with them before he split.  I'll never forget that night.  Not a cliche: it literally changed my life.

SITN sits alongside 'Made In  Japan' and Allmans Live at the Filmore as my favourite live rock albums.  Schenker's playing is wonderful.  His alcohol and wife/manager/money issues have caused him a lot of problems over the last 10 years, but I saw him supporting BCC and his tone and melody still shone.

If you like SITN, have you heard MSG live at the Budokan ?     Its almost as good

hulldanfan wrote:

If you like SITN, have you heard MSG live at the Budokan ?     Its almost as good

I do.  It's a great live album.  Back at Gary's vocal peak for sure.  I have nearly all of Schenker's stuff.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

You guys are giving me a lot to think about here. I had that Budokan album, along with the all the Schenker era UFO albums but never replaced them on CD except for Lights Out and SITN. Might be time to start my Christmas list.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Thanks bd25 for the nudge to pull it out for a spin this weekend.

Hello Chicago!!!

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Hello Chicago!!!

Won't you please welcome from England.  U .. F .. O!

dknight16 wrote:
RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Hello Chicago!!!

lol

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

dknight16 wrote:
RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Hello Chicago!!!

It was a most appropriate listen on the train to/from Chicago yesterday!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

14 (edited by airportdon 2014-10-27 07:15:52)

UFO Rocks..........:)
One of the best hardrock bands in the 70's for sure

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

dknight16 wrote:

My favourite live album of ALL TIME.

For me, Michael Schenker is one of rocks most underrated guitarist. Joining UFO at the age of 18 and making some of the finest albums of the 70's straight out of the blocks was incredible. Shame his offstage troubles stopped him being the legend he should be.
As a side note, wonder which UFO track Joe would best do a cover of...?

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic
Amps: Mini Jubilee Head, Carol-Ann Satin

17 (edited by dknight16 2014-11-02 18:53:00)

Mystery Train.  (Although not a UFO original, I love their rendition.)

And yeah, I think the Chapman era of UFO is great too.

Love to Love has always been a top tune for me. Probably the first UFO song I ever heard. Forget the wailing guitar - I think Joe would absolutely kill the vocals on that song. He plays and sings with such intensity - would be nothing but perfection.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST