Topic: NGD Gibson Les Paul R8 Reissue

Got a good deal on a Gibson R8 Reissue. I had given up on Les Pauls but this is a different guitar. Neck is bigger than I am used to but it plays well. The sound is great, pure unadulterated Les Paul. It has really got my interest up for a R0 (1960 Re-issue). I had two Les Paul Customs before and did not like them near as well as this Custom Shop Reissue.

Re: NGD Gibson Les Paul R8 Reissue

Nice....please feel free to spoil us with some lovely photos!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Yes pics

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I'll try to get my son to help me tomorrow. I am to say the least, technologically challenged.

I love my R8 too.......

Exactly how much thicker is the R8 than the R9?
From what I heard, many of our favorite '59s were shaved slimmer like the '60 necks. My '72 custom has a very skinny neck, which was good for learning as a pre-teen, but I don't mind thicker necks. Would just like a description as to how much thicker?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

From what I heard, many of our favorite '59s were shaved slimmer like the '60 necks. My '72 custom has a very skinny neck, which was good for learning as a pre-teen, but I don't mind thicker necks. Would just like a description as to how much thicker?

This shows some detail.  http://skindley.wordpress.com/2013/08/0 … n-50s-60s/
Waiting on delivery of an R8 at the moment.

HoosierRock wrote:

Got a good deal on a Gibson R8 Reissue. I had given up on Les Pauls but this is a different guitar. Neck is bigger than I am used to but it plays well. The sound is great, pure unadulterated Les Paul. It has really got my interest up for a R0 (1960 Re-issue). I had two Les Paul Customs before and did not like them near as well as this Custom Shop Reissue.

Congrats on the new axe.....I love my R8 with the JB Seymour Duncan pickups in it, she is just killer....

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

My R9 has a thicker neck than either my R7 or R8.

Scratch N Sniff wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Cool chart...thanks for sharing that here

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Scratch N Sniff wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Love the chart
Thanks

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

You have to check out the neck for yourself because each neck size can be very different.  My R8 has somewhat of a slimmer neck by R8 standards...1st fret  .875" 12th fret  .967"

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

The chart was a great post, but, a "generally speaking" guide, not a rule. Neck sizes do vary, as does shoulders and shape in general from year to year and more so from decade to decade.

what about sanding employee to sanding employee?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Can someone give me some guidance on how to post a picture?

HoosierRock wrote:

Can someone give me some guidance on how to post a picture?

Use a foto sharing site such as photobucket and then post the link to the pix. Direct anything won't work on this board.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Here is a picture of the new addition!  s1368.photobucket.com/use/Kari_glad4/media/imagejpg1_zpsd78a433c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I don't think my picture post worked right. Sorry.