Re: Different Shades of Blue Review

wvgirlinky wrote:

The saddest song ever "So, What Would I Do"  Just tears me up. I mean such emotion and feeling. I love this album and the liner notes indicate that Joe is growing and realizes  time passing. Just a huge leap in talent and sound.  Another reason to love Joe.  Thank you Joe for sharing with us this journey of yours.

I can not express in words what your music means to me.
Your fan and cheerleader,
Mary

Yeah, I don't think we can expect an album every year now... And that's perfectly fine.

So, It's been a while, but new stuff always brings me back for comment...been a busy summer at work..So, anyway..the new disc...I would first like to say that it amazes me that Joe always seems to be so consistant...His discs are always quality and are always full of great stuff....Having said that, my thoughts on the new album are this...Starts with the very cool cover of Jimi Hendrix "New Rising Sun"..short, but a nice intro...Followed by what I think is the crowning acheivement on the disc"Oh Beautiful".. Very Zeppliny..and jamming...followed by my personal favorite tune"Love aint a love song" This song makes the disc for me..it's cool and I think a new Joe classic...the rest of the disc is very strong as well, but instead of going track by track, let me just say that I don't really think we have a lot of new ground covered here and not a lot of grounbreaking solos, but instead, just a disc full of well written blues ish tunes that remind me of Joe's solid past work...Is this as good as Dust Bowl or John Henry? I think that's a personal opinion thing...Every album can't be better than the last and Joe will hopefully continue to change things up. For me, it's just another excellent album. I will say that I need to get the disc with the addl tracks, somehow,that got by me and I feel like I'm missing out ! Any way....the other tracks I find interesting are "I gave up Everything..."....Even though simple...It's a great blues tune...I think the lyrics do it for me...I find myself singing the title track...really well written...This album is Joe on a plate...He wrote everything and now, after 12 studio albums or so..I am finding Joe to be like my favorite jeans or pair of shoes....dependable and comfortable with no unpleasant suprises...He is simply the most consistant artist I have ever heard.

Murfdog

I have been listening to Joe for a few years now and have every album. This is my favorite! What a great selection of Blues. The Rock/Blues is Joe at his best, very Led Zeppelin.

I can't wait to see him in concert again and hear this new stuff.

Rock on Joe!!

I just listened through the whole album today and find I liked every song on the album. I agree with Murfdog in that Joe is very consistent and when he puts out a new album it's guaranteed to be good! Really enjoying the new album and also can't wait to hear some more new stuff!

By the way, welcome to the forum rickmontes! smile

rickmontes wrote:

I have been listening to Joe for a few years now and have every album. This is my favorite! What a great selection of Blues. The Rock/Blues is Joe at his best, very Led Zeppelin.

I can't wait to see him in concert again and hear this new stuff.

Rock on Joe!!

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/187451/9

After listening many times, my brain always goes into a mode where I hear parts of other songs within songs....for example, I think "So, What Would I Do"  is  "Asking Around For You" meets "I Don't Live Anywhere"   I hear both of these songs in it. I think Joe's vocal on it, especially at the start, are reminiscent of " I Don't Live Anywhere" style.   LOVE IT!!!!

"Scarlet Town" reminds me of The Great Flood the way it starts out.

"Black Irish Eyes" Volume at 17 is perfect! This song has so many flavors in it...feels very 70-ish to me...the keyboards at first remind me of Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter"   Some of guitar licks and rhythms make me think of Bachman,Turner, Overdrive.   Joe's vocals and backup vocals make me think of something I haven't quite put my finger on yet.....guitar riffs are so 70-ish to me......and after working so many Broadway plays this song would also be good onstage for Rock musical....my imagination runs rampant with this song. LOVE IT!!!!!

I don't know if anyone else hears songs within songs but I know a few more spins will have me finding more similarities......or am I just plain crazy?  wink

I love,love,love this new album!!!!!  smile

Great Work of Art Joe Bonamassa, you've painted a lovely musical picture for us!!! cool

pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Definitely hear 'funkier than a mosquito's tweeter' on a couple of occasions myself. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Patty you are not crazy, I often hear licks that I say that sounds like so and so.   Means you have a good ear

This is the best review that I've seen so far.

The writer compliments the album, but he is also critical of it when he needs to be.

rocknblues81 wrote:

The writer compliments the album, but he is also critical of it when he needs to be.

I liked the last quote:

"Blues-rock in stadiums, anyone?  Don't bet against it."

Champster wrote:
rocknblues81 wrote:

I liked the last quote:

"Blues-rock in stadiums, anyone?  Don't bet against it."

Question is also is that the goal?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Ugh, I still don't have this CD. sad  It makes me sad reading all these great reviews and not having anything to listen to but I just haven't had a chance to pick it up.  Oh well, guess it'll be that much better when I finally get it.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

BarbieD wrote:

Ugh, I still don't have this CD. sad  It makes me sad reading all these great reviews and not having anything to listen to but I just haven't had a chance to pick it up.  Oh well, guess it'll be that much better when I finally get it.

Barbie,Send a friend to Best Buy!!or if you have to send the geek squad over to make a delivery!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum but certainly not brand new to Joe , been a fan of his since his first album was released.

I have a question for anybody who might know the answer. In the liner notes that came with the cd the different players are listed but unlike previous Joe albums the liner notes don't give a track by track listing of who is playing on each individual song . For example there are two bass players listed in the credits , Carmine Rojas & Michael Rhodes , which one is playing on which song? Or am I missing something ?

And by the way I am really loving Different Shades Of Blue , it is brilliant!

Well, I noticed this too, but I don't think there is really any way of telling...Maybe someone who plays bass and is really familiar with Joe could discern the difference...I can't

rob57 wrote:

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum but certainly not brand new to Joe , been a fan of his since his first album was released.

I have a question for anybody who might know the answer. In the liner notes that came with the cd the different players are listed but unlike previous Joe albums the liner notes don't give a track by track listing of who is playing on each individual song . For example there are two bass players listed in the credits , Carmine Rojas & Michael Rhodes , which one is playing on which song? Or am I missing something ?

And by the way I am really loving Different Shades Of Blue , it is brilliant!

Murfdog

It kills me that I still don't have this album yet. I'll get it the next time I'm in BestBuy in Branson. Ugh!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Hello Jane,
I can see that you are not new to this forum , well over 10,000 posts , wow!
I was surprised that there was not the usual detail in the liner notes about which musicians played on which song as there is on the recent albums where he and Kevin have added more people rather than his old stuff where it was all pretty cut & dried . That was what prompted me to do some research and led me to this forum. The bright side is that I found this place and will definitely pop in from time to time, lots of Joe Bonamassa fans out there which does not surprise me in the least, I knew he was going to be huge back when I first heard him many years ago.

Jane H. wrote:

Hi Rob, good question. That is exactly the kind of detail I love to know myself. Now I want to challenge myself to figure it out! of course I haven't had time to do a review myself so that might get put on the back burner although I will be listening more intently for that. welcome to the forum!

I have been really enjoying the cd more and more. Haven't had a ton of time to get enough quality undistracted listens in yet. yet i can't imagine my life before this release any longer if that makes sense. I agree with alot of what folks have said here yet I also have changed my own thoughts I had at first listen. will get around to putting more thoughts together on this one. lovin it!

I'm saying this for fun only, but....well...I think most of us don't really care who's on bass or keys or drums.....as long as JOE IS ON GUITAR !!

Murfdog